out of phase

LarsXI

I'd just like to go ahead and say I'm a real out-of-phase kind of man

A phase switch livens up your fuzzes like all get out. Especially under heavier distortions, it can really bring in some nice tones and picking becomes more expressive. If you find the right settings, you can get a real nice dynamic picking thing going where your attack starts to sound almost like its got an auto-filter under it. It takes crunches, muted chords, and single notes to whole new level.

I dig it too - - I especially like two humbuckers out of phase and in series with each other. You can really get a great screaming lead tone - much like what Brian May used on a bunch of Queen tunes. OOP and parallel is also really cool for blues and funky tones. And if you have coil splitting you can really these sounds even more. Like if you split the bridge pickup, then you're tone will get a bit smoother and less treble-y - if you split the neck only then your tone will get more treble-y and biting.

my setup is kind of crazy actually. my two humbuckers are hard-wired in series, I can set them out of phase with each other, and each pickup has a series/parallel switch.

When the neck is series and the bridge is parallel, I get a monstrous swell of bass as soon as I palm mute a chord. The overall tone is very bottom-heavy, and almost square-wave-ish, a real thick, slightly hollow sound.

The neck in parallel and bridge in series will normally give me a real thin, biting tone, but it sounds incredible under a fuzz. Really makes the octave fuzz dance as well.

Actually, those two configurations may be switched. The guitars surprise virtue is in the screwedness of the wiring

I hope to get a triple shot pickup ring so that I can do that out-of-phase, series and parallel stuff, then add a coil split switch to the whole thing. That and 1 volume and 1 tone will make for a heap of tones from 1 pickup!  :icon_biggrin:

Yeah, its fun stuff. Sometimes people underestimate it because the differences aren't that remarkable on clean settings and the volume differences, etc. But under a distortion/OD, everything clipped off anyway and you get some great differences in feel. Not just in tone, but how the guitar actually reacts.

Of course, if you use that seymour duncan deal with two humbuckers and then get a series switch and phase in between the two pickups, you'll have too many switches and some really fine tones that you can only get from a series out of phase setup.

you could try to put one switch in that will select between parallel in phase and series out.

Back