Organge Strat Start

drysideshooter

I originally planned to do this Warmoth body in alpine white or another fairly bright white. I have a finishing booth, pro HVLP system, etc. Laying down a nice paint job and clear isn't a problem or much of a challenge for me, and I started feeling like something different. I've been liking the look of more organic guitars with natural finishes (especially roasted bodies), and I also like orange. I decided to go with a more translucent orange finish. Even though alder doesn't typically have a ton of character, I wanted it to be obvious it is still a piece of wood when it's finished.

I'm using Colortone (Transtint) orange mixed with denatured alcohol and a bit of lacquer thinner to slow the drying just a bit. As anyone that has worked with alder knows, it can end up blotchy if you aren't on top of it and paying attention while staining. I've hand finished cabinets and furniture with similar properties, and though you have to be a bit more attentive than with many woods, with enough effort it can come out quite nicely.

This is the body so far, and it's about at the level of color I was looking for. A few more applications and a lot of hand rubbing and I think the color part of the project will be done. Still trying to decide if I want to do the face of the maple headstock to match. Being a different wood, it wouldn't be a perfect match, but I think I can get it close. Any recommendations on whether to do the headstock or not?

I'm really gassing to order a roasted alder body from Warmoth and do a translucent blue tint.

Jfhm1K5.jpg

Thanks Rgand.  It's taken a bit of effort to get the finish even.  A few more hours and it should hopefully be ready for clear.

Any suggestions for pick guard color?  I'm somewhat torn between aged cream and parchment.  The hardware is all chrome. 

I'd probably lean towards parchment but either would be good. Tortoise or pearl would look nice, too.

I did a candy tangerine Strat some years back where I put a black/red/black sandwich 'guard on it. The red in the middle was more orange than red, so it matched closer than I expected it to...

IMG_1451_Sm.JPG

That looks really sharp Cagey!  The neck I am using is very light colored maple, and the fretboard is  almost white.  If I would have gone with black hardware I think I would have made a brushed aluminum pick guard for it.  I thought about making one  out of copper, but not sure it would look right with the orange?

I don't know... copper could be fun. Have to put a clear coat in it to keep it from turning green, but that's doable. Also, Schaller makes a pile of copper-colored hardware...

13050837_600x600.jpg
MH8_600x600.jpg
15030800_600x600.jpg
15210800_600x600.jpg

I hadn't seen the copper colored hardware. That's pretty sharp. I already have the chrome hipshot bridge and staggered tuners for this one, but that could be cool for a future build.\

Coloring copper is fun.  Muratic acid can get some great colors on copper.  Torching it and then putting clear on it looks cool too.  I have done mantles and a few other things like that in the past. 

Back