Ordered my 2nd build body... red quilt strat

NeilStryker

Hey folks- just put in the order for this wild one...

It'll be routed for S-S-S, wilkinson trem, standard 5 way strat switch, but I'm going to place the holes lower down on the body for the volume and tone myself.
I'm thinking white single coil Area 58's for the middle and neck, and an Area 61 for the bridge.

Thanks!  I'll definitely be sticking with the rear routes from now on!  I've been watching this one for a while, every day checking to see if someone grabbed it, finally I adopted her myself!   

Schmoopy-  yea it definitely has eyes.  I also noticed a pudgy cheeked baby face with hands in the eyes too.  looks a bit like a demon garbage pail kid trying to escape.

Doc- For the neck, I am going simple on this one with maple on maple- Warmoth headstock of course. Satin finish for sure.  I may possibly try the stainless steel frets this time.  I'm trying to retain a real pure strat sound with the alder body/ maple neck/ pickup combo (and also trying not to break the bank.)

It should be a few weeks before it gets routed and shipped, I'll post pics as it progresses for sure.

VERY NICE.  I was cheking that out too.  If it would have been Mahogany or Korina body wood I would have statched it up.  It is going to be sweet looking...

what color hardware???

Neil Stryker said:
Doc- For the neck, I am going simple on this one with maple on maple- Warmoth headstock of course. Satin finish for sure.  I may possibly try the stainless steel frets this time.   I'm trying to retain a real pure strat sound with the alder body/ maple neck/ pickup combo (and also trying not to break the bank.)

It should be a few weeks before it gets routed and shipped, I'll post pics as it progresses for sure.

Interesting.  I've seen W headstocks on Strat bodies before and they don't look too bad.  I'm looking forward to seeing a maple Warmoth headstock.  The stainless frets are great.  The only times I haven't used them are if I wanted gold frets, the neck is bound, or if I wanted 6100s.  Now, if we could get stainless 6100s on a bound neck... :laughing7:

Looking forward to the pics as your project progresses.

:icon_thumright:

Sir SchmoopY said:
I see Rocket Man in that guitar.

his lips are at the butt. (kinky)
It's either the Uni-bomber or an alien's face?  :dontknow:  Cool top tho... :icon_thumright:

Got my first warmoth body delivered tuesday (for my 2nd build- still waiting on the custom body and neck i ordered 12 weeks ago for my first build). this red quilt strat is gorgeous and the finish is flawless.  No pics yet.  BUT I was extremely happy to find the vibrato bar claw screw holes already pre-drilled in the cavity.  I was not aware they did this, but it is a total plus.  Got the wilky installed in a few minutes.  Tried to put my usa fender american standard neck on the body but it didnt fit- decided to wait for my warmoth neck to come since you guys say they seem to fit right in, often with minimal sanding.  It amazed me how loose the neck and neck pocket fit was on the fender.

Question- have any of you guys painted inside the single coil routs for a non-pickguard body??  I don't want the bare wood inside the rout to be visible when the p-ups are installed.  I think I remember someone saying you can use model car paint to touch up inside the routs??  I put a Dimarzio area 58 in the rout to see the fit, and there was definitely more room in there than i need for the pickup.

Neil Stryker said:
I'm going to place the holes lower down on the body for the volume and tone myself.

Supported!!!!! one reason that I have a "bad idea" about strat is it volume knob... I always hit it while playing  :tard:

Looks good the body! These singles you're thinking are "closed" like EMG? Perhaps you can put some closed covers, like this:
cvr03.jpg

I believe it will match way better the look...

I agree, I think those closed pickup covers would look sweet, but I dont beleive that Area 58's covers can be removed.  If I could do the covers, it would remind me of Gilmours red strat with the emg's.  but alas, the area 58's will have the pole pieces, I'll survive. haha.  And I am leaning towards a fasttrack in the bridge.  how has people's experience with Fastrack 1's been? 

My concern though is the size of the single coil routs.. they do seem quite large for a rear routed strat.  even when the pickups are centered and mounted, there will be a good amount of space around the pickup.    I'm going to have to paint the bare wood in there to make it less obvious,  anybody run into this issue before??   

Back