"One man's garbage" Soloist

fdesalvo

Hi, all.

While I am rehabbing a finger injury on my fret hand, I found a CHEAP Soloist body project that was abandoned online.  Black Limba over Swamp ash.  It only Had one Humbucker route.  I had a neck pickup cavity routed and a neck made of Black Limba and Ebony.  It's super lightweight, resonant, and FAST!  Lovely guitar, really.  This guitar is helping me regain some mobility in my index finger.  Hope to be out of he woods in a few months.

Cheers!

1Y7xqnS.jpeg

5A47oD0.jpeg

CWVTuQr.jpeg

iszOms2.jpeg

J0hDeza.jpeg

oMk7kqm.jpeg

ccJWDLv.jpeg

fozp08r.jpeg

One thing I learned about hand therapy after I broke the ring finger of my fretting hand is to play the neck out of it.  Using it is the best therapy after the doc gives you the green light.

Thank you all!  Haha I will certainly play the neck out of it lol!!!

It’s a non-Warmoth neck. I wanted to try out black limba for the neck and boy I’m glad I did!  This one has tonal qualities of maple/mahogany. Hard to describe. It’s somewhere in between. Just perfect for this guitar.

Yah, I made the mistake of rushing a routine repair on our clothes dryer. I had 10 minutes to do it and didn’t unload the drum. My mistake on that. Once I was inside the machine, the drum unseated and pushed my finger against a sheet metal extrusion. Imagine a fat man pinning your finger against a dull steak knife. The rest is history. Deep cut over knuckle on extensor side of the hand. No evidence of extensor laceration but maybe some scar tissue is binding the tendon. Makes cowboy chords impossible and painful. Forces me to use classical hand position. No thumb over
Neck possible. Agh!!!!!

Darwin almost did you guys a favor lol. There may be even worse music coming from the garage studio soon.

Hey, Frank - sorry to hear you messed up your frettin' fist. I hope you recover fully and soon. 

That's a gorgeous axe you've cobbled together in the interim.  I hope the kids and Mrs. DeSalvo are well also. 

Peace out.

ian

Ugh. Sorry to hear.

Always think things ahead.  If more time is needed, wait till it available.
Results are often not good.
1. Your situation
2. Mine. Decades ago I ended my career as a professional musician due to a left hand injury.  What causes it? Rushing a job.

Apes are strong but man can think. When a challenge arises, think it through, dont ape it.

Ian/Mark thanks for the words. Kids and fam are great. Wifey already knew she married an ape. I won’t prove her right again lol.

Where did you get the limba neck from?
I have a warmoth black limba body that I love and would love to get a black limba neck to go with it. I wish Warmoth offered black limba as a neck shaftwood

My wife always says of me "no remodeling project is complete until I get injured in some fashion" :laughing7:.

Hi, all.

While I am rehabbing a finger injury on my fret hand, I found a CHEAP Soloist body project that was abandoned online. Black Limba over Swamp ash. It only Had one Humbucker route. I had a neck pickup cavity routed and a neck made of Black Limba and Ebony. It's super lightweight, resonant, and FAST! Lovely guitar, really. This guitar is helping me regain some mobility in my index finger. Hope to be out of he woods in a few months.

Cheers!

1Y7xqnS.jpeg

5A47oD0.jpeg

CWVTuQr.jpeg

iszOms2.jpeg

J0hDeza.jpeg

oMk7kqm.jpeg

ccJWDLv.jpeg

fozp08r.jpeg
Love your work !

Trash you say? Hardly, .....that is a great looking guitar.

What neck is that? It looks like it has a slight tilt back?

Back