Once and for all...Wolfgang neck contour ?

vegababy

Any opinions / experiences very welcome !

How does it feel ? What does it best compare to in size ? ... Any opinions from users would really be appreciated !

Thanks !

This one gets almost no press, seems to be unpopular. I had one for about two weeks, then I sold it (long story, nothing to do with the contour). Wolfgang is less assymetrical than SRV, also a bit thinner. It's basically between the standard thin and the SRV, but it's still noticeably a bit beefier than the thin. I played an actual Fender SRV sig model a long time ago, and seems to me that neck was closer to wolfgang than it was to W's SRV. Could be wrong of course.
I actually thought it was a nice shape and I liked it a lot, but I would still pick the 59 or SRV because I like the thicker ones better. I would say, as long as you're not a super-thin or a baseball bat neck kind of guy, it's a great shape.

Thanks so much !

That gives me a good idea.

Actually I don't like the normal US Fender Strat necks. Feels a bit too thin, but I'm also not a fan of those super fat ones, so the Wolfgang should be right.

I like the asymmetrical shape. Used to have an old Edwards guitar with an asymmetrical neck and it was very comfortable.

I have one so I'll chime in.  Picked it up from the showcase.  It's an all canary, angled strat.  I love it.
I also have an SRV angled strat for reference.  Although that one still needs some clear, and I have no actual playing experience (with strings) with it.
Also have a few in standard thin as well.

tfarny pretty much covered it.  I wouldn't really say the Wolfgang is less asymmetric (it definitely feels asymmetric) than the SRV, but it is definitely thinner, but really not much.  The SRV is rather burly.
I'd say its closer to the SRV than the standard thin though.
It really has a good size "shoulder" on the bass side, like a "U" shaped fender.
The treble side is shaved down reasonably thin and your index finger knuckle tells you it's thin.

You know as I'm writing this I'm realizing, it's really a subjective thing with a lot of variables:
Hand size:  My hand fully stretched from end of thumb to end of pinky is just over 8.5 inches.
Other necks:  I have traditionally preferred thinner necks (PRS wide thin for example), but am gravitating toward thicker as the years go by. 
Playing style:  I think this asymmetric thing is particularly nice if you tend to have a more blues, lots of bending, pentatonic type of style.

Let me qualify that last one.  Some guys play a more "shredder" style.  By this I mean their thumb generally rests right in the middle of the back of the neck.  Their thumb and fingertips are about the only thing touching the neck.  These guys would probably hate a "V" shape and tend to gravitate toward a "D".  Other guys, the more "bluesy" guys, tend to wrap their whole hand around the neck and like a big shoulder for their thumb to hang from.  But then you have others who like a "V" which has no shoulder at all.

So I think it really boils down to your style of playing.
Also, you can always sand it to your exact liking.  I took a good bit off of the shoulder of the SRV, almost making it an asymmetric "V".
Can't wait to get that one strung up.

Hope that helps more than "it rocks".

James

Thanks James ! That definitely helped more than 'it rocks'  :)

I know what you mean with playing style. Eventhough I shred quite a bit, I'm still more of a thumb-player than a 'classic-shredder'.

The SRV has too much of a V shape going on for my taste and the Wolfgang actually comes closest to my fav neck of one of my Strats, at least in size.

I don't know how asymmetric the Wolfgang is. My old Edwards only had it very slightly...Does it still feel comfortable or rather weird ?

No, not weird at all, it's definitely very comfortable.  I was just playing it, and compared again to the SRV.
I think that being thinner, the asymmetrical nature of it is less apparent than that of the SRV.
It fits the hand very naturally.  I was just emphasizing the point that you can tell it's asymmetrical.

Also, if you are getting it unfinished, or using a wood that does not require finish, you can still take a bit off with sandpaper.
I rounded off the bass shoulder on mine a bit with some 220 grit, then 400.

James

Thanks again, James !

No sanding for me...I'm getting it finished (vintage tint with matching headstock in body color). Really good to hear about your impressions. Definitely helped me to go for it !

Watershed said:
Some guys play a more "shredder" style.  By this I mean their thumb generally rests right in the middle of the back of the neck.  Their thumb and fingertips are about the only thing touching the neck...

I'm no "shredder", but that statement just about perfectly describes My playing style.  I can't stand thick, chunky necks (I don't have big hands, so that may also contribute to my preference for thinner necks). I don't like the super-thin "Wizard" necks, but anything from about .760" to .795" at the nut, and .830" to .850" at the 12th fret feels good to me, and I like a 'C'-shape contour.

So I agree that it's a style-thing, and I think the size of the player's hands is also a factor...

Back