On/Off Switch Wiring Question...

Yes, a 9 volt. Then pop can have as many lights as necessary. I like idea of keeping it simple. A simple button for the kill switch and a seperate mini switch for illumination. Ovation had a guitar that was stereo, strings one three and five v. 2,4,and 6. Very cool but never caught on. Lights were unnecessary There might be some diagrams out there, but is the juice worth the squeeze?

Last edited:
OK. The lights are not for illumination, just an indicator. One will light up when the main switch is on... the other will light up when the guitar is in stereo mode. The leds are not needed, just a cool little option on a dark stage. Yes, 9V, and yes, an independent circuit, hence the need for the additional poles. Is it worth the cavity space? Sure. Keep it simple? I don't disagree. I once rewired one of my favorite Basses as neck pickup, volume pot, output.. bridge pickup, volume pot, 2nd output. But, not on this build.
I do appreciate your comments and suggestions. I think I found the solution, so hopefully by the weekend I'll post up a sketch for you all, so Spud can rest easy and enjoy his hot toddy...

Last edited:
OK. The lights are not for illumination, just an indicator. One will light up when the main switch is on... the other will light up when the guitar is in stereo mode. The leds are not needed, just a cool little option on a dark stage. Yes, 9V, and yes, an independent circuit, hence the need for the additional poles. Is it worth the cavity space? Sure. Keep it simple? I don't disagree. I once rewired one of my favorite Basses as neck pickup, volume pot, output.. bridge pickup, volume pot, 2nd output. But, not on this build.
I do appreciate your comments and suggestions. I think I found the solution, so hopefully by the weekend I'll post up a sketch for you all, so Spud can rest ready and enjoy his hot toddy...
Oh thank goodness!

Well, forgive my ignorance, but I can't seem to be able to post up a pic of my wiring sketch... is it because I'm still a newbie??

full

OK so here it is. I welcome your comments and suggestions. Looks easy enough, huh?

Looks good - one issue that I see is that when you turn the on/off switch off, both outputs will be floating. This is a recipe for super hum.

To fix it, you need to ground the opposite poles on the on/off switch so that the output signals are attached to ground when the switch is off. With respect to your drawing, this means that the top centre and top right terminal of your master on/off switch should be attached to ground. Leave the top left terminal floating.

Then you'll be all set.

Looks good - one issue that I see is that when you turn the on/off switch off, both outputs will be floating. This is a recipe for super hum.

To fix it, you need to ground the opposite poles on the on/off switch so that the output signals are attached to ground when the switch is off. With respect to your drawing, this means that the top centre and top right terminal of your master on/off switch should be attached to ground. Leave the top left terminal floating.

Then you'll be all set.
Thanks friend! I'm glad you caught that cause I sure didn't. Thanks for reviewing and the guidance. Much appreciated.

Nothing to add to what already been mentioned. Other than the ground to the bridge, I hope will be attached mechanically to a more robust location than the bare wire of a pickup :)

Though, as mentioned earlier, why not just do something like a Ric circuit. I am not sure if I see what the real world use case is here for this circuit.

Last edited:
Nothing to add to what already been mentioned. Other than the ground to the bridge, I hope will be attached mechanically to a more robust location than the bare wire of a pickup :)

Though, as mentioned earlier, why not just do something like a Ric circuit. I am not sure if I see what the real world use case is here for this circuit.
Thank you. Yes, the bridge ground will be attached to a better location. I'm still going to look into a Ric circuit however.
The circuit in the drawing is something I've been pondering for some time now. My original plan did not have an on/off circuit, and had the stereo/mono circuit on a mini switch. There would be two push pots, each acting as volume/tone for each pickup.
A stereo/mono circuit is a must for me. So, time will tell. It may evolve further as the build gets closer.

The way a Ric mono/stereo circuit works is odd. Its a mechanical connection that happens when your insert a plug (basically, inserting a plug into the mono jack causes it to make a physical connection to the stereo jack.)
It requires the alignment of the 2 jacks. If they get out of alignment, guess what, in mono mode, one of your pickups has no sound.

You can google it.

Rics are weird at times. So am I as I have 2.

An interesting wiring might be a variation of a Ric circuit using similar parts to what is in an Alex Lifeson with Piezo. It uses two outputs to provide either separate Mag and Piezo or both via one jack. A forum member over there (a2dconverter) added an indicator light for low battery. There are several posts he put in the linked thread, but the one linked below may be of interest. In the case of bass wiring, you could adapt it for the separate pickups.

The two output jacks used are linked below.

The way a Ric mono/stereo circuit works is odd. Its a mechanical connection that happens when your insert a plug (basically, inserting a plug into the mono jack causes it to make a physical connection to the stereo jack.)
It requires the alignment of the 2 jacks. If they get out of alignment, guess what, in mono mode, one of your pickups has no sound.

You can google it.

Rics are weird at times. So am I as I have 2.
My first bass was a Fender Musicmaster short scale in black. Played it for quite some time as a teenager. Then I got a 4001 Ric. Maple body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard. White banding. I loved it. Played it for a few post-teen years. Came home from work one eve and my young bride told me she sold it for $200 so we could go to the beach...
Yes I'm still married to her. But I sure would love to have that Ric back now...

My first bass was a Fender Musicmaster short scale in black. Played it for quite some time as a teenager. Then I got a 4001 Ric. Maple body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard. White banding. I loved it. Played it for a few post-teen years. Came home from work one eve and my young bride told me she sold it for $200 so we could go to the beach...
Yes I'm still married to her. But I sure would love to have that Ric back now...
Wow. You have a heart of gold. I would have put them into indentured service.

:LOL: Well we were just kids then. However, saying that now somehow doesn't make me feel better now...

Back