Oh please, Warmoth, make me one!

stubhead

Master Member
They really specifically seem to want the extra string length here?

ritter-basses-jupiter6fretted-futur.jpg

http://www.ritter-basses.com/ritter-basses-baesse/ritter-basses-jupiter.htm

I don't get it, but I know this guy's pretty picky, so they must not suck, huh?

http://www.phillesh.net/

These are the guys who get so bolt-happy, BTW:

ritter-basses-0317neckjoint.jpg

Ritters are my favorite. Everyone I talk to seems to hate them though. :tard:

I want to see this one in a long scale Jazz bass:
0006.jpg

stubhead said:
I don't get it, but I know this guy's pretty picky, so they must not suck, huh?

Pfft. Regular bone nuts are crap, everyone knows that. You need 10,000 year old Mammoth Ivory.
http://www.ritter-royals.com/instruments.php

Jens Ritter is a pretty sharp guy.  Also check out Jerzy Drozd basses.

P1010788_jpg.jpg

Definitely not traditional.  Even if I could never afford one or want to take one on a gig, I can appreciate their work.  These guys are taking a very non-traditional approach to bass building.  I've had a chance to talk to both guys at NAMM.  (And the guy holding the Drozd is Chris Cardone.  Killer player and builder too.)  They're all very down to earth and not at all like some of the nut cases I've met at NAMM.

Killer mustache too.  :laughing7:

But how do you even play a bass with that many strings? Granted, I don't play bass at all, but I can only just about handle the six strings on a guitar...

ErogenousJones said:

But how do you even play a bass with that many strings? Granted, I don't play bass at all, but I can only just about handle the six strings on a guitar...

That's nothing...
PortraitCarbonne2_g.jpg

ErogenousJones said:

How to play >6-string instruments? Viciously.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0k7B2eiDg0[/youtube]

ErogenousJones said:

A few guys that I have known that play 5+ string basses do so to keep them from moving up and down the neck so much.  They can stay anchored in one position and move up and down the strings instead of up and down the frets.

damn those are some amazing basses. what amazing craftsmanship. i would love to see how they make it step by step.

It seems like a 9-string bass is crying for a fanned-fret arrangement, to try to keep the tension better? Even a fanned fretless....IYKWIM. What I didn't get about the Ritter Jupiter is that extra six or so inches of strings behind the bridge - I thought that was a bad thing? They must know something,  as soon as somebody gives me one I'll let y'all know if it's dumb or not. :cool01:

stubhead said:
What I didn't get about the Ritter Jupiter is that extra six or so inches of strings behind the bridge - I thought that was a bad thing? They must know something,  as soon as somebody gives me one I'll let y'all know if it's dumb or not. :cool01:

Weird shit for the sake of it, because Jens Ritter is all about non-traditional experiments.

(And I mean that is a good way, because I love most of his work.)

Not a fan of any of these. Seem more like bizarre art projects than they do practical instruments (with all due respect for the obvious skill and expertise required to build them). And really I can't recall the last time I saw someone play something cool on one of these, other than gimmick type stuff.

jay4321 said:
Not a fan of any of these. Seem more like bizarre art projects than they do practical instruments (with all due respect for the obvious skill and expertise required to build them). And really I can't recall the last time I saw someone play something cool on one of these, other than gimmick type stuff.
+1. Seem like true back breakers as well.

+2. It's nice that bassists are not so bound by tradition as guitarists, but I don't find these appealing except as sculpture.
and - 10 knobs on a 1-pickup guitar? What's up with that, seriously?

I like the aesthetics of the maple-topped bass that line6man posted. The others don't do much for me, even as sculptures!

Wyliee said:
They're all very down to earth and not at all like some of the nut cases I've met at NAMM.

Warning: Blatant Hijack Attempt

While I understand your need to protect the identities of people you (broadly) work with/around, I don't suppose you could give us a few outstanding examples?

Please?

tfarny said:
+2. It's nice that bassists are not so bound by tradition as guitarists, but I don't find these appealing except as sculpture.
and - 10 knobs on a 1-pickup guitar? What's up with that, seriously?

And those 10 knobs are not even spaced evenly, Other than that, those things are like others have said, nice artwork

Back