Oh boy....thinking on pups for new Hybrid Tele build....so many choices

rauchman

Greetings,

Just put in an order for a Hybrid Tele, and now have the conundrum of choosing pickups for the creation to be.

Pickup arrangement is going to be HB - SC - HB.  Visually, I want chrome covers on all the pups.  I know Lace Sensor makes a Chrome Dome, not sure of other choices for a chrome topped Single Coil.  It's fortunate that I have an MIM Strat with a Strat Deluxe loaded pickguard containing Lace Sensor Golds, and I like the sound..  :icon_thumright:  Also considering some flavor of Dimarzio blade pup with a chrome cover also.

As for the HB's, this is where I struggle.  The Gibson Les Paul has always been my # 1, however, I've also always had Strats, and my Tele build from last year has totally change my opinion of the Tele.  Always thought it was something of a novelty, but I've grown to really appreciate it's tones.  Through the Tele experience, I'm realizing that I don't want a super hot HB, but rather has some balls, but also articulate and expressive (med output?).

I'm not a tone snob, but do want good "tone" (yeah, subjective and all that).  Suggestions for a bridge and neck HB to cut through the mix, has some drive, but remains articulate and expressive.  For the neck pup, something that doesn't deliver muddy. 

The usual Dimarzio 36th PAF are ok, but to me they are still a bit warm and compressed.  My favourite bridge humbuckers are PAF PRO, and Suhr SSV+.  Both of these are fairly dynamic and might fit your requirements.    For the neck pickup I've used the Seymour Duncan Jazz, but can't say I'd absolutely recommend it unless you want something quite bright.

What could be worth looking at is the Suhr Thornbucker+ and Thornbucker neck.  The Thornbucker bridge pickup has quite a fat, yet vintage flavour which gives a kind of distinctive creamy overdrive tone.  The output still roughly in the PAF realm of low/medium output.  I only have the Thornbucker bridge which is a tiny bit lower output than the Thornbucker+, although they seem pretty similar AFAIK.  If you are going to use Thornbuckers you could use the Suhr V60 middle, otherwise I'd suggest Dimarzio Area 67 middle pickup.  I paired the Area 67 middle with PAF PRO, and it should be a good match with Thornbuckers as well.  I was using the Area 58 before with PAF PRO and the Thornbucker bridge previously.  I swapped the Area 58 for an Area 67 which gives a bit more brightness and impact for the middle position.  Dimarzio make Chrome covers for the Area pickups, so you should be good there.  Those are just my ideas on humbuckers for HSH...  YMMV!

Apart from that, I'm keen to hear about your Hybrid Tele order.  I think that means a Tele body shape that has a front route like a Strat.  I hope you can have the new parts shipped soon and don't forget to post pics!

JohnnyHardtail said:
The usual Dimarzio 36th PAF are ok, but to me they are still a bit warm and compressed.  My favourite bridge humbuckers are PAF PRO, and Suhr SSV+.  Both of these are fairly dynamic and might fit your requirements.    For the neck pickup I've used the Seymour Duncan Jazz, but can't say I'd absolutely recommend it unless you want something quite bright.

What could be worth looking at is the Suhr Thornbucker+ and Thornbucker neck.  The Thornbucker bridge pickup has quite a fat, yet vintage flavour which gives a kind of distinctive creamy overdrive tone.  The output still roughly in the PAF realm of low/medium output.  I only have the Thornbucker bridge which is a tiny bit lower output than the Thornbucker+, although they seem pretty similar AFAIK.  If you are going to use Thornbuckers you could use the Suhr V60 middle, otherwise I'd suggest Dimarzio Area 67 middle pickup.  I paired the Area 67 middle with PAF PRO, and it should be a good match with Thornbuckers as well.  I was using the Area 58 before with PAF PRO and the Thornbucker bridge previously.  I swapped the Area 58 for an Area 67 which gives a bit more brightness and impact for the middle position.  Dimarzio make Chrome covers for the Area pickups, so you should be good there.  Those are just my ideas on humbuckers for HSH...  YMMV!

Apart from that, I'm keen to hear about your Hybrid Tele order.  I think that means a Tele body shape that has a front route like a Strat.  I hope you can have the new parts shipped soon and don't forget to post pics!

Great info....thanks!  And yes, anxiously awaiting my order.  Already have the finishing supplies and most parts (aside from pickups).

David Plummer at Zhangbucker winds some incredible pickups and I have two of his humbuckers in different guitars, both Duanebuckers of his. Also have some custom would Paul Bunyan strat pickups of his. He will wind a little hotter for you as requested. Not cheap but I find his stuff a great case of mainly vintage with some snakebite thrown in. Love his work.

I used Suhr Thornbuckers, Thornbucker + in the bridge, and Tom Anderson HC pickups in my last few builds. Both are phenomenal.

Tom's pickups split tones are the most impressive I've ever heard. The quack in positions 2 & 4 is as convincing as most single coils. I have the Thornbuckers wired series/parallel, and the parallel tones are fantastic too. I used the the V60 in the middle position and are a great pairing with the Thornbuckers. I used an Anderson SF1 in the other build...totally great.

Another bonus of both brands is they will provide you with endless wiring diagrams for anything you can think of. Overall awesome companies and cost of used sets is very reasonable.

My go to neck position has always been a SD 59'. My Jackson was the only oddball in that I had a JB wired for the neck and a dimebucker in the bridge. It was such a great a combination for metal.
The 59' is clean, clear and crisp.
I'm trying out the Lace Sensor deathbucker in my current build. Dont forget some good tone capacitors!!
Just my 2 cents

Attachments

• 20200729_112115.jpg
    20200729_112115.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 227
Wound up going with SD Custom 5 and 59 for the neck.  I have an SD Custom in my LP Custom and like it.  From what I've seen from vid's the Custom 5 is a little richer.  Also went with a chrome Dimarzio Cruiser SC for the middle position.

rauchman said:
Wound up going with SD Custom 5 and 59 for the neck.  I have an SD Custom in my LP Custom and like it.  From what I've seen from vid's the Custom 5 is a little richer.  Also went with a chrome Dimarzio Cruiser SC for the middle position.

Well, the seller I ordered the pickups from never shipped them.  Now in a dispute with PayPal as the seller has not responded to calls or emails.

I've now gone with a Thornbucker + Bridge and Thornbucker Neck.

Edit:  Seller finally got back in touch with me.  Their going through some challenges with COVID, but all good....got the refund and moving to the Thornbuckers.

I was looking at your guitar with Ash Tele body and roasted maple neck + Ebony fingerboard.  The wood combination will be bright, although it is a 24.75" scale neck.  Thornbucker+ will be warmer and give more mids than Custom 5, so I'd say you were right to change.  I have not tried either of the neck pickups.    Anyway I hope it works for the sounds you want.

JohnnyHardtail said:
I was looking at your guitar with Ash Tele body and roasted maple neck + Ebony fingerboard.  The wood combination will be bright, although it is a 24.75" scale neck.  Thornbucker+ will be warmer and give more mids than Custom 5, so I'd say you were right to change.  I have not tried either of the neck pickups.    Anyway I hope it works for the sounds you want.

Agree...was even going to go with 1mg pots originally.  I've learned from my Tele build last year, that the tone knob matters!  Figured I'd could go from treble gone wild to toning it down with the tone knob.

If you didn't get the thornbuckers ...

If you are going to do a restart, I would highly recommend two pickups:

In the neck position DiMarzio DP240 mini humbucker.  It sounds delicious.  And will pair with a vintage output humbucker.

In the bridge a Bill Lawrence 290TL (if this is a restart)

If you want humbuckers, I'm thrilled with railhammer's chisel and anvil for the neck and bridge respectively.  I play mostly country (Johnny Cash and Grateful Dead type stuff) and vintage rock (Anything from the 50s, beach boys etc) and this set up works great, played thru a vintage amp.  These are billed as metal pickups, but they work really well for other styles.

In the middle, an area 61 by dimarzio.  Though with the rail hammers you wouldn't need the middle, as you can get close by combining the two humbuckers in parallel.

Anyway ... I hope your thornbuckers arrive safe and sound.

Good luck

rauchman said:
rauchman said:

Well, the seller I ordered the pickups from never shipped them.  Now in a dispute with PayPal as the seller has not responded to calls or emails.

I've now gone with a Thornbucker + Bridge and Thornbucker Neck.

Edit:  Seller finally got back in touch with me.  Their going through some challenges with COVID, but all good....got the refund and moving to the Thornbuckers.

I'm pretty much done with the guitar I built. https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=32148.0

If anyone is considering the Thornbucker + and or Thornbucker neck....get it.  Truly great sounding pups.  And they split very very well.  I'm getting fantastic tones out of these.  That to @JohnnyHardtail for recommending these.

Back