[Withdrawn] Offer pre-drilled guide holes for tuning machines on necks

Ultimately, it is a business analysis of the Risk vs Benefit business opportunity cost decision.

Risk : being Not matched / Disappointed customers return the product making a loss.

Benefit: attracted more lower experienced customers.

As their product has threshold requirements for experience skills, Pre-drilled guide holes will not lower the overall threshold requirements.
So the Benefit does not cover Risk here.

The benefit is that it’s a feature customers may want (though maybe I’m in the minority?), and something they could upcharge for. I’d pay $15 or whatever to not have to take the time to drill these holes myself less accurately than a CNC machine would do.

Either way though, you really don’t think they have the ability to drill guide holes accurately enough? Is it particularly challenging?

Either way though, you really don’t think they have the ability to drill guide holes accurately enough?

I am sure they (Warmoth) do have the ability.

But there are many variables. Even if a small range of holes correctly drilled are offered, someone would order the wrong tuners and then the holes would be "wrong".

A case in point, the two pin locator holes for Fender tuners you might think Schaller M6 Pin would fit, but they won't whereas Fender two pins or Schaller F-Series Standard will.

Is it particularly challenging?

Not especially, and is a skill that most assembling a guitar from parts should have or acquire. If not, it is always a job that can be outsourced to someone who can or use something like the Hipshot UMP plate which means you don't have to drill at all.

But if a customer orders the wrong holes (or any other spec), it wouldn’t be W’s fault. The holes wouldn’t be “wrong”.

But if a customer orders the wrong holes (or any other spec), it wouldn’t be W’s fault. The holes wouldn’t be “wrong”.

Technically, yes, but note the use of quotation marks around "wrong" indicating so-called or irony. There are customers who regardless of the fact that a mistake is theirs will blame a manufacturer or retailer for being "wrong".

If hole drilling is a barrier then get Hipshot tuners with ump

Last edited:
Back