Of Schaller tuners and heavy strings...

lannyc

So, I installed the Schaller mini locking tuners (which are ALMOST awesome) on my brand spankin' spiffy new strat neck (which is definitely awesome) this morning. I play .013's with the heaviest string being a .056. Lo and behold, won't go through ye olde tuner hole. After some initial frustration, I fixed it using a small allen key to ream out the hole a little...

but..

WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL WERE THEY THINKING? Doesn't Schaller realize some folk like heavy strings? I'm guessing I won't be using these tuners for a baritone anytime soon.. this seems like such a simple little detail and I'm amazed that these oft-used tuners wouldn't be compatible with bulkier strings.

Some manufacturers...

*/rant*

lannyc said:
I fixed it using a small allen key to ream out the hole a little...
Allen keys are meant for Allen heads, . . . ONLY. Don't do that again, or else!

It's usually easier to remove a bit of material than to add some (the exception being body fat). Think for a second about how you would go about making that hole a tad smaller.

Yeah, it causes major trauma in the seven-string world, where a .058" is about a minimum and a .066" or heavier is a good option... I would prefer Schallers to Planet Waves but I and many others have to go with the Waves just to get a decent match. Drilling out tuners is somewhat common among seven string builders, but the Schallers have those locking parts in there - it'd be hard not to get shrapnel or abrasives down inside. There are people who have successfully drilled out the Schallers, but I'm not sure how. You can't take them apart to enlarge each part separately - not that I can figure out. :icon_scratch:

Back