Nylon Telecaster

Thanks man.

Here's an other one totally dry absolutely no FX or processing.
Just noodling around doing a fine adjust on the action:

http://www.sightsea.com/music/sotd/nylon_action.html

Wow. I can't believe how much I like that tone. Not what I expected at all.

I may have to build another guitar. Just sold a Tele, so I need to replace that. Can't have an uneven number of guitars. Plus, it's painting season! Maybe a bound Tele...

Yea. I really like the tone also. It's almost perfect. The bottom 3 are great.
Too bad that the nylon strings are such a pain and it's mainly the higher 3 unwound ones.

I've got a set that I haven't tried out yet that is all 6 strings are wound, by Savarez.
It would be great if the top 3 could get the same kind of warm long sustain that the bottoms have
and the same type of zing when sliding.

One other complaint on the nylon thing is that I wish there was a heavy enough gauged set to make them feel nice an stiff. I've tried the heaviest available and they're still to light for me and I'm used to .009s
on all my electrics.
It might be because they're designed for the wood bodies and the classical acoustic body isn't strong enough to stand any more tension.

This one is my first and only chambered body so I'm wondering how much of that has to do with the tone.

It's been a lotta years since I played anything with nylon strings, but I remember the same thing - they're a bit squirrelly under the fingers. Whole different feel. Almost have to re-learn some things. But that tone is delicious! I don't know exactly what I'd do with it, but it sounds inspiring.

I tend to doubt the chambered construction has much to do with it, but who knows? I think I'd do hollow anyway.

Cagey said:
I tend to doubt the chambered construction has much to do with it, but who knows? I think I'd do hollow anyway.

I give a bit more weight to chambered than most folks do. But in this case, I gotta I suspect this is more true for nylons than anything else. You have a light weight, low tension string. I think regular steel strings, (heavier the better) to actually interact with the chambered bodies - at least at moderate volumes (like garage band practice).

It sounds good.

I did wonder when reading about the guitar how the nylon strings are going to stay in tune easily. Normally on a classical they are tied on at both ends with a few turns to prevent easy slippage, I can't think of an alternate that you probably haven't tried already.

Thanks.

Yea. I've gotten pretty good at tying off the ball end but there's not enough room there to do it the same way it's done on a classical bridge.

Great clip!
I intentionally went with the Warmoth Angled Headstock so I could custom cut the nut to match the strings. I use D'Addario hard tension strings, but have been thinking about trying the Savarez strings.

My Tele is hollow but I am not sure it really effects the sound / tone as captured by the pickups very much, and definitely not as much as the wood itself. Either way, the sound through the Ghosts is really clean but warm!

Thanks

I was thinking angled for the added pull down into the slots but went normal strat.
I'm not having any problems with buzz or the strings wanting to jump out of the slots.
These slots are cut specifically for these gauges. That can be done on any nut.

Yeah, it can be done on any nut, but like you said, the added angle, plus the added meat to the nut just seemed like the best idea to me. Maybe not necessary, but I've been really happy with it.  :icon_thumright:

Back