Nut...

T.L.

Well, Warmoth says there's not enough room on the Vintage Modern neck for a locking Floyd nut. So, it's either go with an Earvana nut, or spend more money for the "Pro" neck.
'Not yet sure what I wanna do...

T.L. said:
Well, Warmoth says there's not enough room on the Vintage Modern neck for a locking Floyd nut. So, it's either go with an Earvana nut, or spend more money for the "Pro" neck.

:icon_scratch: how much more money is a pro neck  :icon_scratch:

willyk said:
T.L. said:

:icon_scratch: how much more money is a pro neck  :icon_scratch:
It's less isn't it?

In all three versions, the Maple/maple necks are $157.  No difference in price.  That is the lowest priced wood combo, but it sort of sounded like that was an issue.
Patrick

+1 above, and why is Earvana your alternative choice vs. a locking Floyd? They are like polar opposites it seems.

floyd_rose.jpg

Not for long.

"Still in the development stage but very near release" so say Earvana. Although they have been "coming soon" for the past 5 years, but at least they have a photo now so fingers crossed they may be out before we all die.

Okay, 'sorry for the confusion.

I don't know where I got the idea that the "Pro" neck was more expensive. I've been looking at so much stuff, trying to research everything, I probably got some things mixed up. I'll probably just go with the Pro Construction.

The reason I mentioned the Earvana, is because the guitar will have Sperzel locking tuners anyway ('forgot to mention that). I was figuring that if I couldn't have the locking Floyd, I might as well at least have the better intonation of the Earvana.

That compensated Floyd nut looks awesome...

The only problem with using any nut other than a locking nut with a Floyd is that if you dive bomb too far, your strings might fall out of the nut.

Yeah, if it's a more "vibrato and small bends" use, probably ok... Dimebag, Steve Vai and stuff playing is a no-no, as Doc remembered me in other thread  :icon_biggrin:

locking tuners are not equivalent to a locking nut. they won't keep the guitar in tune as well as a locking nut.

GoDrex said:
locking tuners are not equivalent to a locking nut. they won't keep the guitar in tune as well as a locking nut.

If you have an LSR and staggered locking tuners (no string trees), tuning stability is damn near a locknut.

ildar said:
GoDrex said:

If you have an LSR and staggered locking tuners (no string trees), tuning stability is damn near a locknut.

Yup, until you dive bomb your strings out of their nut slots.

DocNrock said:
ildar said:
GoDrex said:

Yup, until you dive bomb your strings out of their nut slots.

Man, you seem to have a bunch of trouble with strings flopping out here and there. As with your troubles with the 475, this has never happened to me either. Unless you're talking about depressing the bar until the strings are slack.

I got tired of waiting on the Earvana Floyd Rose locking nut after two years and made my own compensated brass nut add on. I have two Carvins and one Ibanez with the Floyd Rose locking nuts. Each one required different compensation but wow, they really sound great.  :guitarplayer2: For pics go to www.guitarnutcompensation.com  javascript:void(0);

None of the nuts on that page are floyd nuts, they're just like a regular Earvana nut but not as tidy.

Sorry, after looking around the site I see you have add ons for a Floyd. But again I have to say this is nothing new, Funky Phil one of the forum members has been doing this for some time.

Didn't say it was anything new, just that I only knew of Earvana "coming out with the Floyd" forever.  However, in my experience, every nut has had to be custom made for each different guitar. I have done 15 of my own and some  others so far (even two that were exactly the same in every way) and they ALL were compensated differently for the best sound. Of course they are not as esthetically pleasing as Greg's CNC machined one, but I assume that was extremely expensive to do. And Greg said it was "spec'd out" from an Earvana nut. I have used other Earvana nuts (shelf type etc) on some of mine and needed to modify (customize) them for best results. I use a Peterson strobe tuner so they are pretty accurate. These are for my own use so I wasn't so concerned with looks as with the sound. But I can upgrade them later with better looking nuts :) Thanks for the comments though.

Back