Nut Slot Width

guitarhobbyist

How much wider than the string should the nut slot width be? Is there a tolerable range? The reason I ask is because I need help in determining the correct size range to choose. For example one set is as follows, .12  .17  .22  .28 ec. The strings I use are gauged .10  .13  .17  .26  The first file gives a tolerance of .02 but the third file would give a tolerance of .05 Is this too much?

thanks

I generally play .010 to .046

Nut files are

E=.013 (for .010)
B=.020 (for .013)
G=.020 (for .017)
D=.028 (for .026)
A=.042 (for .036)
E=.050 (for .046)

You can always rock the file just a little in the slot and get a few more .001's out of it.  I find that set easier to work with than the dual sided files StewMac sells.  Nice files, I just kept getting them reverse in sizes etc... my bad, but thats the way it goes.  The set I described there neither binds or wavers to a discernible degree.  I keep one of the Stewmac files here... it was mis-made and is a sharp V instead of a U... thats for starting grooves and for grooving saddles

Cool, thanks for the info. That is the set I play as well. Did you mean .016 for the B .013 string or is the .020 size correct?  Also, if I currently only had the cash for a couple of the files, would it be best to concentrate on the higher strings first? One slot is the most problematic but the rest are all in a similiar state.

guitarhobbyist said:
Cool, thanks for the info. That is the set I play as well. Did you mean .016 for the B .013 string or is the .020 size correct?  Also, if I currently only had the cash for a couple of the files, would it be best to concentrate on the higher strings first? One slot is the most problematic but the rest are all in a similiar state.

I meant exactly what I wrote there above.

WarmothRules said:
what sizes for these size strings?

From StewMac's choices....

0821  0.010"
0823  0.013"
0827  0.016"
0828  0.020"  .013E, .016B
0829  0.024"
0830  0.028"  .026G or
0831  0.032"  .026G either one, but I'd go with this one
0832  0.035"
0833  0.042"  .036D
5313  0.046"
0834  0.050"  .046A
0835  0.056"
4551  0.065"  .056E

All the books say cut the slot so gnats ass close to string size... but really, they have little to say when the slot is too narrow and you fubar the nut etc etc.  Much better to cut "slightly" oversize.  Since the slot will be U shaped, string tension will keep the string centered.  NEVER cut a V shaped slot.  Square is "ok", but U is better as the string will self center and not rock in the slot. 

You CAN alter your files quite easily by grinding, to get a narrower size.  You can rock them a bit to cut a very slightly wider slot.  MEASURE your files with a micrometer or caliper to make sure they're made like they say they are.  That is - I've seen .05x marked files that were over .060.  Be prepared to fiddle with files till you get just what you like.  Be prepared to just go out and buy some nut blanks and slot them and take a good look see under STRONG magnification - from the side -to see how the strings fit.    Just... dont take any file makers word for what they say their files do.  Re-mark your files as needed to show the actual sizes they cut. 

A poor workman blames his tools.... but.... learn from CB'er on this on... do yer home work BEFORE cutting that do-or-die nut.  Been there, done that, have the white whiskers to prove it!~

Yeah I make sure I cut wide enough by taking the string that goes in the slot and making sure it slides freely back and fourth, this way I know I won't be wondering why Im having tuning problems later.

I prefer the rocking of the file back and fourth in the slot to widen it, as I use 11-14-18-28-38-56 gauge strings and I don't  have all the exact file sizes  needed for  these.

I have the Warmoth 8 file set they offer, made in China, but all single gauge files and rounded on the edges, so good to go.

Yeah Blowing the Nut (The guitar nut that is) really bites, so Im a bit more carefull than when I started making em, and I check a whole lot during the process so I don't go too deep or wide.

I often error on the side of higher slots and play on it a while and come back frequently over the next 3 or 4 days to bring the slots down to their final resting place, which is a heck of alot easier than doing it over.

A word to the wise for beginners, make sure you have plenty of sleep before cutting and slotting a nut, and make sure ya got plenty of light, it really helps to point the neck up to the light and look down the slots to make sure your strings will be sitting flatly in the groove, you don't want any space under the string before the break or your gonna have to go deeper, and if your already too low to go any farther then you've blown the nut...............about blowing the nut.........don't forget to say something sweet to the misses after you have.   :toothy12:

Someone posted a link to a video of a guy installing a new nut, he talked through all the steps in detail, and in just a few minutes had laid out the heights and spacing of the slots and had it done. It's a very impressive video, the guy makes it look easy.

I like Beasts idea of getting close, then wait a few days for all to settle and fine tune it down to exact.
That's the nice thing about doing nuts and all your own setup yourself, you dont have to meet a deadline, and you dont have to leave a fudge factor, many guitar techs will leave the nut and action a bit sloppy (high) so that if something changes, you don't get buzzing.

I have my action so low on some guitars, that a change in the weather, today in fact, caused 1 guitar to buz, i fixed it easily

www.frets.com

Frank has a good "how to" to get the slots "just right" every time.... assuming your files are cutting the way you expect them to.

Back