Notes on Hipshot hardtail bridge install

TimesNewRoman

This seems be be a universally lauded item so I choose it for my 7/8 strat build. First thing is that I realized that all the saddles had to be removed in order to mount it on the body. I didn't see this coming and tiny parts with springs looked daunting. But, the thing is so well engineered that both removal and replacement was easy. I made sure to keep track of which saddle went where in case the slots are sized (I'm not sure if this matters).

Next, the holes drilled by Warmoth seemed too small to me. Even using thread lubricant, it took an uncomfortable amount of force to drive the screws, so I enlarged then by 1/64- perfect. Next issue, the mounting screws sit proud of the plate and it looked to me like the saddles would trip over them and end up crooked. So I deepened the chamfer to get the screws flush and it looked like this :

bridge.jpg
I know that enlarging the holes and reaming out these chamfers will both weaken the mounting but I think it will be ok. Turns out I again was worrying pointlessly because when I set the action, all 6 saddles were raised to where they would have easily cleared the mounting screws anyway.

My last concern was whether the process of making the black version would insulate the strings from the plate ground. All strings are perfectly grounded.

So now I love this thing like everybody else but thought my experience might be of use (or amusement) to others.

Wax and slight enlarge screw hole, forcing the screw in will end up breaking either the screw or the wood, js, don't force it

Interesting ... how did you chamfer the holes in the bridge? Do you have before (install) and after pics?

I just wailed on the 3 holes with a drill and an acorn shaped chamfer bit that was old and a little rusty so i didn't mind trashing it on the tough metal. The result of the chamfer is on the first pic above- the 3 metal colored rings are the chamfer wells with the black coating scraped away. Still enough meat (I hope) on the bridge plate to make a solid mount. The supplied black screws then sank to flush with the surface of the plate and covered the exposed metal making it invisible. Here is the after :

bridge installed.jpg

I have the same problem and someone sent this link to me. Sounds like I'm gonna be doing some drilling today! The saddles on my 2 e strings won't go down far enough on one side and I think this will do the trick if I can remember what size chamfer bit you used. 😬 Thanks again! 😊

I have the same problem and someone sent this link to me. Sounds like I'm gonna be doing some drilling today! The saddles on my 2 e strings won't go down far enough on one side and I think this will do the trick if I can remember what size chamfer bit you used. 😬 Thanks again! 😊

In your other thread, you have been routing out a neck pocket and introduced variables, which are unclear what they are.

This procedure should normally not be needed at all, and in fact @TimesNewRoman mentions he did not really need to do it at all. Whilst this thread is interesting, I strongly advise most users against drilling and adapting hardware when the problem is more likely due to other set up issues or even a neck shim being needed.

Last edited:
Back