Norman: Another non-Warmoth NGD

hannaugh

Master Member
Hey guys.  So I inherited some cash from my great uncle Norman.  He was awesome, and he was one of the few people in my family who encouraged me to play guitar.  I talked it over with the husband and we decided that I could go to the guitar shop and get a new toy, so I did.  It's name is Norman:

1526083_10152151596145664_855526399_n.jpg

It's a Godin Montreal Premiere.  I went to this specific place to look at Eastman guitars, and they had them, but I liked this  better (although the Eastman was nice too).  The feel is fantastic, everything about it just feels right - rock solid.  The sound is not quite as woody as some other thinlines I played.  The warm tones are really lovely but not muddy, and the bright tones are clear and and jangly without sounding harsh or tinny.  The gloss neck doesn't even really bother me at this point either.  It sounds so great through my Blues Deluxe too, and no feedback problems at all (yet anyway).  I'm very impressed, I had never even played a Godin before I came across this at the Frethouse, but I had heard good things.  I really love it, it's awesome. 

Looks like a good'n to me.

Congrats on a nice guitar Hannaugh, A fine way to honor your uncle.

:rock-on:

Thanks guys!  He was a pretty classy dude, I think he'd like it.  He didn't have any kids, but he was a fantastic uncle, great uncle, and great grand uncle to 18 people, and we all agreed at his funeral that he was probably the most loved person in the entire family. 

Yup, nice choice, beautiful guitar and a great sentiment as well. Very nicely thought out.

On another note, Godins are all Canadian/American made (except for some hardware) and are really well-made instruments. I don't know why more people don't play them. My next purchase may very well be a 5th Ave Uptown GT to go with my black 5th Avenue standard.

Anyway, nice choice, let us know how you like it after you've spent some time with it. They project way more than they look like they should and have nice tone. Have fun.

Peace,
Pierre

---
There is no such thing as strong coffee, only weak people.
---

Congrats.
Godin's are unsung heros. Really great guitars. I have a Flat Five X which I love.

Nice  :icon_thumright:

Now you need a new pickguard with 'Norman' ingraved on it, instead of Godin  :icon_biggrin:

:dontknow:  just a thought.

You know, Godin did make a brand of guitar called "Norman".  There are still a lot of them out there.

I just looked that up - they're still making them!  I found the website.  I've never heard of that brand.  Maybe they don't distribute in the US?  :dontknow:

They do distribute in the US.  Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz carries them. They seem to be pointed at the entry -level market, or at least I've only seen entry-level Normans so far.

Hmmm.  Well we don't have a huge wealth of shops in my area, so maybe that's why I haven't seen any.  I suppose I could call it Arthur since that was his middle name?  Nah, Norman is good.  If I ever have a kid, I'm naming him Arthur if it's a boy.  We're good.

Beautiful guitar. I used to have a Godin Acousticaster, and it was a wonderful and very well made instrument. I played it through a direct box into the sound system at a big church in a worship team I led. When I quit doing that I eventually sold it because I didn't really have a use for it, but I still kick myself once in a while for selling it.

Your great uncle must have been quite a guy. That's a great way to honor his memory.

What is eminently* clear is that this little tale be tightened, toned and ripened a bit and then poofed upwards to Godin/Norman. What you are seeking is the official, accurate "Norman" logo, stickers, at the very least the font-face (heh-heh): for all intensive porpoises, the guitar needs to feel like the Norman of the castle too.

(if the story's good enough for their website, they may give you a guitar pick or something)

Wa-ola! :rock-on:

*(Uh-oh. Kolleej wurds afore 8pm - Mommy, it's getting dark in here!)

Back