Noobie looking for amp

Phinox

Hello i am a guitar noob. I recently decided to start learning guitar (played bass for over a year). I need some advise on a good amp? i was thinking about a fender mustang III or maybe a marshall MG series. an help or tips when looking for an amp would be greatly appreciated.

Go with something cheap and portable. I say a nice roland micro-cube should do the trick for you. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/roland-cube-15xl-15w-1x8-guitar-combo-amp/h68599000001000

Either the Mustang or an MG would be a good starter amp. Be aware that when it's time for you to start playing with a band (drummers especially) you're probably going to want to step up to something a bit bigger.

I love when people make recommendations without knowing what sound you are looking for.  :dontknow:

What sound are you looking for?

that mustang III will be the best of the 2 you mentioned. It is a great little amp for a starter, and when you outgrow it you did not invest a ton of money.
Remember, this is your first amp, you can get a lot better amp once you get better and can use one, At that time you will know a lot more about what YOU want and not what others want to tell you to get.

Jusatele said:
Remember, this is your first amp, you can get a lot better amp once you get better and can use one, At that time you will know a lot more about what YOU want and not what others want to tell you to get.

+1! I got a GT-8 a few years ago, and while it certainly wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread it helped me figure out what I like from amps and effects. I'm very happy with what I have now!

It all depends on if you want to stay with it or just want to hack around ..  Small tube  amps work quite well and can be miked for club use .

I have 2 that have served me well over tha last 20+ years .. a Mesa/Boogie Studio .22 and a pre-cbs Princeton

The Fender Blues Jr  is a nice little rig for the price ,  sort of like a modern Princeton  )  The Marshall Class 5 is another ..  I'm not a big fan of solid state amps for guitar, unless it's an acoustic ( Love my Marshall ASD100)

The best way to tell is take your axe into a store  and test them yourself .. your ears are always the best judge.

I have a Fender Mustang III 1x12 combo that's surprisingly versatile (decent emulations of the classic Fender gear, and pretty fair emulations of your other major formats) and loud enough to play against drums'n'bass (not at stadium volume, but for garage rockin' it'll do).  And cheap - you should be able to find one used for 2-and-a-quarter Benjamins.  Zero resale cachet.  Gotta love it.  You can do some decent experimentation, and learn what kinds of sounds you like, and which you don't, and then invest in the real deal when you have more experience and ducats.

thank you for the replies. As for sound i am looking for a general overall amp to learn with and then figure out what i like and don't like. Will be used for classic rock, hard rock, and heavy metal ( judas priest, Iron maiden).

What they said, disregard MG, acquire Mustang. Or, another modeling amp. The MGs are just buzzboxes.

I'll pile on to ground the MG. I'm sure I've heard worse amps, but I can't remember when. They're attractive because they look like a Marshall, which always adds a certain cachet, but it all ends there.

Back