Noobie looking for amp

me too.. I like the excelsior too!

ExcelsiorFull.png

http://www.fender.com/products/pawnshopamps/

Death By Diezel said:
Do not buy the MG!

I agree with this sentiment.  DO NOT buy a solid-state Marshall.  IMO, if you really enjoy playing, spend some money and get some nice equipment, you'll thank yourself in the future.  A buddy of mine has a Marshall MG100FX head/cab and it SUCKS.

My personal experience with "trying to stay cheap" did not work out well for me, and the "staying cheap" wasn't cheap at all; I wouldn't consider a $650 (after sales discounts) product to be cheap but that's exactly what I got.  I'd purchased a Randall RT100H and between the original (it didn't work, right outta the box...) and its replacement, they lasted two weeks.  I then upgraded to something a little more expensive and got a great product (Made in USA, too...).

IMO, before buying anything, think about what you're wanting out of the purchase. 

1. Do you just want something to mess around with in a small area, or do you have plans to gig? 

2. Do you like modeling features or something where you're going to get your own original sounds?

3. What type of music do you play?  As an example, if you're into folk music, you certainly don't want to buy a Peavey 6505.

4. Do you want a tube amp or solid state amp?  Tube amps require a little bit more maintenance than a solid state amp but the trade-off is worth it.  Don't take that the wrong way, tube amps aren't like Harleys...when you're pulling over every 3 miles to adjust something.

Given you play Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. I'd go with a tube amp, but you're going to spend more, but pay now or pay later.  IMO, just get it over with, buy yourself a nice halfstack, and play on.  :headbang1:

I play a lot of Metal...not so much other peoples' stuff, but my own, and some of it gets pretty extreme.  I have a Peavey 3120 and it's great for anything from Rock to Metal.  It's a pretty versatile head.  The head ran me about $850 and I got a custom cabinet from Avatar for about $600, S&H included.  Yeah, it's a lot of money, but as you grow deeper into the hobby you're going to find yourself wanting "the big stuff," whether you use it on stage or in a basement.  Just look for heads with EL34 tubes, as they have moer of that British tone you're probably after...Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

Tonar8353 said:
Never buy anything made after 1973.  :redflag:

I followed Tonar's advice and just picked up a vintage 66 Vibro Champ. Original transformer, speaker.  :headbang1:

The Norwegian Guy said:
BillyBoy said:
Tonar8353 said:
Never buy anything made after 1973.  :redflag:

I followed Tonar's advice and just picked up a vintage 66 Vibro Champ. Original transformer, speaker.  :headbang1:
Congrats!

Thanks man. I don't get it until Tues so it's a weekend of anticipation!  :toothy12:

i picked up a used Fender mustang II for 120. Anyone out there familiar with the fuse software? For what this amp is it sounds fairly good.

Back