noob question about neck shapes and hand size

Is there a general consensus regarding neck shape and hand size?  Are certain hands pre-disposed to certain shaped necks and vice versa?  I'm told "try different shaped necks" but seems like there ought to be some sort of correlation.  The Warmoth site has the outlines which are great, but I'd like to hear from users.

Thanks!

Well rancho, what your asking is pretty subjective to taste. I do seem to remember that there was a study that showed that the older the hand, the less the skinny necks felt good or were comfortable. I think that was posted here in the forum somwhere.

Playing style is another factor. If you are someone who likes to play with your thumb over the top and dont have a huge hand to start with then it would be difficult to do that with a boat neck.

My preference is the SRV contour. It has an offset profile. It fits very comfortably in my hand. To me that is the one that makes the most sense.

-TT-

I have a standard stratocaster but want to build a tele-I play chords now, but am studying scales and trying to incorporate more licks.  I larger than average fat hands and with the strat, my hand feels like it is all over it-if you know what I mean.  Thanks for the response.

The idea is to find a neck that suits you and measure that. Then compare those to the warmoth measurements. The correlation has to come from you. If your standard strat feels too small in your hands then a warmoth wizard or standard thin are off the list for a start. I have recently discovered the boat neck profile.It felt huge and chunky at first after playing a standard thin (very close to a Fender) but I find it beautifully comfortable now.

Back