LP/Regal Cutaway Depth Question

Hey everyone.  This is my first post (I just joined), and I have a question for LP/Regal owners out there regarding the depth of the cutaway and general upper fret accessibility on the Regal bodies.

Very long story somewhat shortened, I'm a long-time Ibanez RG player who's had a love affair with Les Pauls for as long as I've been playing guitar (23 years).  I have rather small hands, and my issues with LPs mostly centers around the big neck joints and "shallow" cutaways, especially when compared to Ibanez guitars with the Wizard neck joints (which I'm very accustomed to and have no physical issues with).  I've either owned or tried, or just researched specs on many LP copies from Ibanez, Schecter, ESP/LTD, Kramer, etc., and I don't feel I'd ever be happy with one.  So, I've been playing around on the Warmoth site building a Regal to my preferred specs (or as close as I can get to them, which seems really close), but I'm also worried about going forth with a build because of the cost and the possibility I still might not like it and won't be able to return it.

From my experience, when it comes to upper fret accessibility, what matters most is the general depth of the cutaway.  A contoured heel is nice and may very well increase comfort, but I'm not sure putting an extra "carve" on the back side of the body around the cutaway helps too much.  It seems that to really "feel" it, it would require a drastic change in hand position (turning my wrist inwards) to notice it, which would make it harder to reach the upper frets.  For example, on my 24 fret RGs, there is no carve on the cutaways (the edges of the body are completely squared-off), but the deepest part of the cutaway is parallel to the 24th fret giving me plenty of reach all the way up, even with my dainty, little fingers.  So...  how do you Regal owners feel about your guitars and their cutaways/heels?  Can you easily reach all the way up?  Also, being an Ibanez guy, I was considering doing a 24 fret neck extension.  Anyone have a 24 fret Regal?  How do you like it?

Thanks!  :headbang:

Well, when push comes to shove, no, an LP cutaway is never going to be equivalent to an Ibanez all-access joint unless you go nuts with a band-saw or wood rasp. 

That said - I have a carve-top telecaster from Warmoth with the contoured neck joint and cutaway, and find it affords much more comfortable access to the higher frets than the unmodified version.  You will likely encounter similar improvement with the Regal. 

that's why I make my neck joint like this:

10556396_747418358630745_912847486879637484_n_zpse95f4eea.jpg

:-\ No! A two piece top plus a singlepiece limba back. what you are likely seeing are router marks before final sanding.

Bagman67 said:
Well, when push comes to shove, no, an LP cutaway is never going to be equivalent to an Ibanez all-access joint unless you go nuts with a band-saw or wood rasp. 

That said - I have a carve-top telecaster from Warmoth with the contoured neck joint and cutaway, and find it affords much more comfortable access to the higher frets than the unmodified version.  You will likely encounter similar improvement with the Regal.

Yeah, I know not to expect anything like what I'm used to on my Ibanez guitars.  I'm just trying to get a sense of what the Regal is like from any owners out there. 

I also found a bit of a discrepancy between the "graphic representation" on the Body Builder and what people's Regals look like in the gallery.  In the Body Builder, the cutaway looks rather deep, and the lower horn comes to more of a point, whereas in the gallery of people's finished Regals, the cutaways and horns look very standard, like what you'd get from a real LP.  I know the graphic representation on the Body Builder shouldn't be taken too literally, but my perceived difference between that and the ones I saw in the gallery was significant enough for me to ask about.

I'm not sure there are any Regals in the gallery - either here or on the actual Warmoth site - they're all the old LP shape. The Regal is still pretty new and, someone will correct me if my memory has failed me, no examples have appeared on the forum yet.

It clearly does have a much deeper cutaway than a LP.

I think your memory serves you right, or at least it agrees with mine. I don't think I've seen any Regals here or in the gallery, either.

If having an AANJ and 24 frets is important to you, I really don't see you being happy with the Regal or any Warmoth offerings.  There are a handfull of import guitars that offer a true 24 fret (non extended overhang fretboard) singlecuts.  Or, if you're looking for something a bit more custom, Carvin has a pretty sweet 24 fret California.  Still not as quite easy access as your used to, but better than any square-heel and also with a tummy cut to boot.

You might want to consider some of the new Charvels. The DC in particular has 24 frets, and the neck profile is very similar to the profile on the Wizard necks of the RGs.

Again, the access to the higher frets probably isn't what you're used to with the RG, but it might be close to what you're looking for.

I'm a bit confused.

Either you want a LP-style guitar - which in most cases imply 22 and not 24 frets. Or else a 24 fret hardtail super strat?

If it is a LP style guitar you want and also want the easier access at the neck joint you should consider an Agile AL-3200 model. It's a neck thru LP style:

al3200tobaccowide3.jpg

Agile AL-3200 at Rondo

HomerDrooling.jpg

Mmmm... Agile 3200s...

Those things are so badass, I can't believe Gibson is still in business. I just got another one, similar to the one shown above but in dark blue. Just an incredible piece of work. The only problem is, they're incredibly expensive. Something that will kick a Gibson LP Custom to the curb within 2 nanoseconds of inspection will run you as much as $425 w/ a hardshell case.

Stupid Koreans.

Back