Noncommittal - Hurt Me More - more 80's style synthpop

SustainerPlayer

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANyr3puXpEg[/youtube]

A little over a year ago I decided to get into the habit of finishing my songs. I have - like most others - accumulated ideas, snippets and half-finished songs that just sits on the harddrive rutting away for ages.

So I decided - why not bother humanity and get them out there?

So I make a finished and mastered song - a decent video for youtube - and releases the song on all streaming platforms like Spotify, Apple Music, Google Play and many more. This is actually release #19 in a little over a year.

For this song I have used my Warmoth Bright Red Baritone strat and my Warmoth Blue Flake hardtail strat (see attachment).

Both guitars through my Axe III with Addictive Drums and a handful of soft synths.

Let me know what you think of it and ask my anything. Thank you for your time!

Attachments

• IMG_4070.jpg
    IMG_4070.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 274
This is very well done. I like how your baritone carries it along. Congrats on getting so many done during the year.

I'm with Robert.  That baritone really does the job.  Did you do the vocals in the final verse differently?  It sounds doubled, and to my ear, it seems to fit the synthpop vibe better than the earlier verses.  Admittedly I'm listening on some $15 cheapo computer speakers, so I could probably figure it out on my own when I get my headphones on, but it's hot in my office and I don't want sweaty ears.

But enough of my troubles.  Great job.  Thank you for sharing.

Bagman67 said:
I'm with Robert.  That baritone really does the job.  Did you do the vocals in the final verse differently?  It sounds doubled, and to my ear, it seems to fit the synthpop vibe better than the earlier verses.  Admittedly I'm listening on some $15 cheapo computer speakers, so I could probably figure it out on my own when I get my headphones on, but it's hot in my office and I don't want sweaty ears.

There is "only" two verses ... did you mean the choruses? There is plenty of those  :laughing7:
Everything is at least double tracked.  And on the last choruses I think* they are at least quad-tracked. I always go for something different - so no two parts are alike through a song. And most often I pour more on as the song evolves.

*= sorry but this song was actually finished and uploaded 23/3/2019 - and I have been working on around 10 other songs since then ... so details slips my mind. But I will check next time I'm in the studio and report back.

Ok...I'm a product of the 80's, and yes, I started in the age of the "shredders", but the 80's was also about the new wave sound, which I also love.  This fits into that zip code really well.  I REALLY dig this.  This sounds like a great evolution of the new wave style.  Really good job on this.  Ironically, I think what I like most about this, is that it is not guitar focused, but rather a song.

How do you do the videos?  Is there canned video footage you use?  I'm very illiterate on the video thing.  You do such a great job on putting together the "package" of cool song writing and the video.

Bagman67 said:

I just checked the song in my DAW. It is actually just double tracked vocals in both verses - dead center with same processing and "standard" reverb. So it is probably my unstable voice that makes the difference in the second verse. Second verse was also written very recent so I didn't have it down like the first verse.

Not accounting for too dry or too sweaty ears  :icon_biggrin:

rauchman said:
Ok...I'm a product of the 80's, and yes, I started in the age of the "shredders", but the 80's was also about the new wave sound, which I also love.

You and me both!  :eek:ccasion14:

rauchman said:
This fits into that zip code really well.  I REALLY dig this.  This sounds like a great evolution of the new wave style.  Really good job on this.  Ironically, I think what I like most about this, is that it is not guitar focused, but rather a song.

Thanks man I really appreciate - cause that is just the vibe I go for. And my main influences being Depeche Mode, The Cure, New Order, U2 and so on ... all very strong in the basic song writing I think.

rauchman said:
How do you do the videos?  Is there canned video footage you use?  I'm very illiterate on the video thing.  You do such a great job on putting together the "package" of cool song writing and the video.

Thanks again. For this video it is purely stock footage from videoblocks.com. Some of my videos are entirely my own footage - some pure stock and some a mix.  All edited in iMovie or some cheap iPhone apps. I have this dogma that the video must not take more than a couple of days to make. So stock footage comes in handy there. I just shop around for what's available and try to piece it together to a coherent picture story - some ends up better than others. Video is not my main thing - and it is just a biproduct of wanting to give my music a little extra. But being a one-man operation I have not really any choices. I would love to have a go to video guy or girl!

Back