nominal charge for putting it together

vtpcnk

what would be the nominal charge for putting together all the parts - body, neck, tuners, electronics, bridge etc?

first time i am doing this and so want an idea.

thanks.

bpmorton777 said:
free...all you need is a hand-crank drill and some screw drivers.

Brian

When I tried to drill all the pickup wiring together I ran into trouble. Screwing it in didn't work out much better. ;)

GoDrex said:
bpmorton777 said:
free...all you need is a hand-crank drill and some screw drivers.

Brian

When I tried to drill all the pickup wiring together I ran into trouble. Screwing it in didn't work out much better. ;)
lol

Pwned.gif

It should cost around $200 for a skilled tech to assemble your guitar. That may seem like a lot but don't forget, there is a lot of work to do in assembling a guitar properly. Sure, you can hack-job it together and get a guitar that plays about as good as an Affinity Strat and tunes about the same, or you can take your beautiful new parts to someone who knows what they're doing and will turn that collection of parts into a seriously nice guitar.

1) Check the neck for proper fitment to the body.
2) Locate and drill the holes for mounting the neck.
3) Position the tuners and drill the mounting holes.
4) Locate and install string trees.
5) Shim the neck pocket if necessary to achieve the proper neck angle both side to side, as well as up and down.
6) Level the frets and polish them to a sparkling sheen that will guarantee clean fretting and buzzless playing!
7) Locate pickguard and drill screw holes to mount it. Or drill holes for pickup bezels, and mount them.
8) Install output jack
9) Wire the guitar properly so it doesn't hum or crackle.
10) Install the bridge,
11) File the nut slots and set up the action for slick playing.
12) Adjust the truss rod for a slight bow/relief to insure true, clear notes.
13) Set the intonation for perfect tuning.
14) Adjust the pickup height for balanced output and maximum tone.
15) Drill holes for strap buttons and install them.

There's a lot of work to do.

A properly assembled guitar will play and sound terrific. If you're not thoroughly experienced you try doing it yourself but the results may leave something to be desired.

The best advice I can give anyone is: Buy an $99 Squier Strat and take it apart completely right down to the last nut and bolt and wire. If you can re-assemble it into a great playing guitar that sounds decent, (as good as the crappy pickups will allow), then you're ready to assemble a Warmoth guitar effectively.

Otherwise, $200 should get it assembled real well. And it's worth it!

$200 would be a bargain.  I put mine together and then take it to a local luthier wizard who does the final set up and fret filing.  $60 for setup alone. $120 if fret filing is required, which is pretty much all of them, to get the fret ends smoothed out so they don't snag your fingers. 

i gave my warmoth to a guy, pretty known around, paid him 200$
he did a hack job installing my nut (earvana)
action was not set at optimum level
he said fret edges can't be touched unless he does a total re-fret
electronics i did, did a kind of ok job in my standards (alot of improvement nessecary, but it's first time i'm doing this for a paul), and he said it was great

my standards are pretty high though and people just think me an boom-boom, most just never played anything better than a standard american strat and standard gibsons, and once you play the custom shop stuff.... you're a goner :)

he said fret edges can't be touched unless he does a total re-fret

ahem - what is he "pretty known around" FOR?!? :icon_scratch: He means he can only level, crown and polish frets after he pulls them out and puts in his own? He deserves to be famous....

i guess he's a money hungry bastard
people that i know and i held as good players said he does amazing work.
friend said he set up my guitar really well
after a week he said
wtf happened to your guitar ? it's even better!
i told him i set it up :)

"Guitar Player Repair Guide" by Dan Erlewine is the one book that covers everything, well. I've used Maryland's excellent, free, inter-library loan program to read just about every book available on building guitars, and the Erlewine is the star. Even if you don't end up putting things together, it will save you thousands of dollars over a lifetime of playing, and it sure is helpful in weeding out the B.S. "techs" when you can ask informed questions.....

Back