NGD..Gibson '50 studio

dmraco

Master Member
I finally got rid or my Gibson robot studio.  One of the worst guitars I have owned.  I will leave it at that.  I picked this up.  Really like it.  I saved big bucks because I went with the studio model.  Has some great masked binding.  I did order a cream pick guard.  The burst buckers are tapped for single coil use too.  I was initially looking for a 60s model with the slim taper neck.  Saw this and fell in love.  It has a rounded 50s neck.  Not nearly as fat as my robot.  Only slightly larger than a warmoth standard thin.

c45acfbb-d9be-4589-8a30-034c93bb49d5.jpg

Beautiful LP. I've been warming up to the idea of purchasing one. The traditional pluses are gorgeous looking and sound beautiful from what I've heard.

jalane said:
That looks great!  Let's see that masked binding, eh?

Thanks for the comments.  I know Gibson can be so-so with finish quality...this one seems really good so far.
Here are some shots from my phone.
Binding  (masked)
e25a7fd6-9885-40d5-8e15-748820a8e54d.jpg

back...2 piece with some decent flame...hard to capture
c3444b42-66b4-42e1-9b55-8bb519e1487e.jpg

another front view
cd35a0ab-9829-4ef4-941e-2faa74bc3d56.jpg

62a7643a-232e-4b93-96ea-2545b8c44197.jpg

I'm going to hate for a minute ... not on that gorgeous axe you've shown us in the photos ... but on carved or figure top guitars that have pickguards.

What a crying shame to cover up what is often a gorgeous piece of wood and a beautiful finish with a stupid piece of plastic ... and mar the body with holes so the dumb, dinky, plastic guard can be affixed.

My Hagstroms are both gorgeous and look so much better without their pickguards. The Super Swede's flame maple top beneath the vintage burst finish, especially. But they each have that hole right near the neck and one in the side of the body from where the pickguard was perpetrated against them. Blast. Where's the hateful emoticon?

Edit: I can slightly forgive the pickguard on my Heritage, since it's made out of wood. Flame maple with a transparent black finish. But I'd rather it didn't have one. I just bought it because I've always wanted a natural-finish maple semi-hollow.

Hate no longer.  I did order a pick guard from this guy on the Les Paul Forum.  He makes near identical matches that use the mounting points on the PU ring.  Heavy playing can really scratch things up.  For $12 I figured I would give it a go.

I too like the look without a guard .  That is one of the things that attracted me to this.  The top also has some nice detail.  I like the grain marks and spots...they give it  character! 

I have a Gibson CS356 clone that has two holes from where I removed the pickguard.  It kills me everytime I seem them. :sad1:

DMRACO said:
Hate no longer ...  He makes near identical matches that use the mounting points on the PU ring.

Ah, innovation! So nice to know someone has found a way to improve upon the bad, old practice of butchering the body to slap on a pickguard.  :icon_biggrin:

Excellent buy. I have heard great things about these guitars.

Also the consensus at this time is that since 2009 the Gibson Custom Shop is turning out the finest guitars they have made in years.

I love the grain in that mahogany, it's great they left it natural.

Btw I rather like the look of my Hagström with the pickguard :) Generally a simpler finish stands to gain from a contrasting pickguard I think.

k-k-kboooman said:
Btw I rather like the look of my Hagström with the pickguard :) Generally a simpler finish stands to gain from a contrasting pickguard I think.

I changed the top-hat knobs to creme bell knobs and I think those, plus the creme pickup rings (or the slightly yellowish rings, the color's not quite exact and that drives me a little crazy) provide enough contrast, for my tastes.

Bagman...is that a floating bridge?  Gibson?  Details!!

BTW...love the P-90s

reluctant-builder said:
DMRACO said:
Hate no longer ...  He makes near identical matches that use the mounting points on the PU ring.

Ah, innovation! So nice to know someone has found a way to improve upon the bad, old practice of butchering the body to slap on a pickguard.  :icon_biggrin:

Yeah, that guy has been doing that for a while.  I was thinking about getting one for my LP and just taking it off and putting it back on whenever I feel like it.  I actually like LP pickguards, but I'm torn because they do cover up the wood, and my wild maple top is such a nice piece.  

BTW, I like your new LP waaaaaay more than that robot one you had.  Good move.  :hello2:

reluctant-builder said:
I'm going to hate for a minute ... not on that gorgeous axe you've shown us in the photos ... but on carved or figure top guitars that have pickguards.

What a crying shame to cover up what is often a gorgeous piece of wood and a beautiful finish with a stupid piece of plastic ... and mar the body with holes so the dumb, dinky, plastic guard can be affixed.

My Hagstroms are both gorgeous and look so much better without their pickguards. The Super Swede's flame maple top beneath the vintage burst finish, especially. But they each have that hole right near the neck and one in the side of the body from where the pickguard was perpetrated against them. Blast. Where's the hateful emoticon?

Edit: I can slightly forgive the pickguard on my Heritage, since it's made out of wood. Flame maple with a transparent black finish. But I'd rather it didn't have one. I just bought it because I've always wanted a natural-finish maple semi-hollow.

I agree. I've never liked pickguards on Les Pauls.

I also prefer pickup covers on them. They just seem to go with that body-style.

DMRACO said:
Bagman...is that a floating bridge?  Gibson?  Details!!

BTW...love the P-90s

DMRACO -

It's a 1972 Gibson Limited Edition  LP Custom, which originally came with a Tune-o-matic bridge.  However, the original owner, whom I know personally and who gave it to my father-in-law in the mid-1980's, swapped the TOM for the rosewood floating bridge with a plastic saddle early in the time he owned it.  THE FLOATING BRIDGE SUCKS.  Looks cool as hell, but the saddle is dead flat, not radiused.  I picked up a cheapo TOM bridge to put on it until I can afford to really do it up right.  It needs a complete refretting as well, and I want to get an old-looking gold TOM to match the rest of the appointments.  The one time in my life when I can actually see spending money for relic'd hardware...    The frets are these teeny-tiny little things - the Gibson "Fretless Wonder" frets.  Nearly square, not crowned, and smaller than mandolin frets, even.  My father-in-law gave it to me a couple months before he died early this year, and he had not maintained it except to change strings since he received it as a gift from the original owner - roughly 25 years.  So you can imagine what I'm up against...

The 72 Limited Edition replicates the '57, and while the bridge p'up is a P90, the neck is a staple-pole-piece Alnico 5 single coil which is correct for the 57 period, as far as I can tell.  It sounds like God His own self when you put it through a nice class-A amp.

More pics available here:  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=14900.0

DM, have you had a chance to try out one of the "60's Tribute" models, the ones with P90s? The goldtop looks really cool and the YT videos are pretty convincing. Very reasonable price as well.

LPST60WGCH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx

got the pickguard today...what do you think?  I tend to like with out...but.....
75683bc6-d86f-4784-b94f-a26bdcdfe4c7.jpg

Back