Telepaul ordered at last

elgravos

Here's to number 3 - Telepaul

Finally got my act together and after months of agonizing over various details, I've put in my order and am expecting my telepaul to show up some time mid july.  Was initially considering putting a bunch of questions to the forum but somehow managed to figure out things on my own in the end - though a couple where put out way back when.

Anyway, here are the specs:

One piece mahogany carved top telecaster body with flame maple top - 2 hbs - recessed TOM with staggered string through - 720 mod - contoured heel and tummy cut - standard tele controls - fireburst top - vintage tint masked binding - clear gloss back.

Was willing to go for something but ended up not being wild about any of the unique choice flame maple tops they had at the time.  Maybe they are getting rare and going the way of quilt maple?  Anyway, the three they had were all way too busy for me  in different weird ways so just went for the standard top (which I believe is AA).  My Gibson LP is AA and it is pretty damn nice.  Given what I've seen in the showcase for reasonable prices, Warmoth should be able to do far better than that so not too worried on that front (notwithstanding the occasional bout of paranoia).  Fingers crossed.  After much thought, decided to go the recessed TOM route and give up on the stop bar / angled neck pocket.  More tele that way but shouldn't impact on the sound.  Plus, it looks less busy which I like.  Though I am a little sad that the neck won't be at an offset angle to the body.  A lot of the LP charm is there IMO.  I guess, I'm going the Hamer route in that sense.

Throwing in a pair of  bareknuckle rebel yells for good measure so pretty psyched on that end!  Expensive but hopefully will live up to the hype - otherwise there is always ebay.  Must say I was impressed with the delivery time.  Took 6 days for them to get here from the UK (east b**f*** - though it is a small country) and they slipped through customs undetected so I ended up not having to pay any duty on them - which saved me in the region of 50 bucks.  Still, way over 200 bucks for a set of HBs.  Let's hope they are worth the money.

Neck:

Conversion Tele neck - rosewood - jet black ebony fingerboard (no inlays) - SS6105 frets (stainless) - earvana graphtec nut (1-11/16ths) - 12" straight radius neck (for the true LP feel) - sperzels.

Had to go for standard thin in the end.  Not quite what I wanted but the closest available.  Given the conversion scale and the 1-11/16th nut, it should feel different enough from my current warmoth guitars but would have preferred something slightly more substantial.  I think they really need to put out something in between the standard thin and the 59' - but not asymmetric.  The Gibson 60s slim taper is by far my favorite profile - so far at least - and is just slightly more hefty than the standard thin.  Food for thought.

Pics as soon as it lands.

Cheers.

sounds great! can't wait to see this one. definitely not enough carved top telecasters around.

the only problem you might have would be with the recessed tune-o-matic. i tried to order a carved top soloist about a year ago, and the day after they took my order they called back to say that they couldn't do a recessed tune-o-matic on a carved top. i think the tele carved top is supposed to be pretty flat on top, so you might be fine. otherwise this is going to be one really cool build

Seems that you have put a great deal of thought into this build...
Sounds great and I can't wait to see the pics a rollin'
Good luck &  :rock-on:

actually it's a good thing I looked at the online body builder on this one given that each time I asked for one of the options, the first reaction was: hold on one second, I don't think that'll work.  Then he (Spike) went to check with the shop guys and came back saying that there was a first time for everything and this was it.  Apparently it can all be done.  I actually ordered about three weeks ago.  Fingers crossed but it all looks possible.  Just that I'm the first guy trying all this stuff out...  Carved top teles are the future! :party07:

'Telepaul' always makes me think of one of  these mofos at  my local guitar store....
FANO-SP6-RUST-3.jpg

djf67 said:
'Telepaul' always makes me think of one of  these mofos at  my local guitar store....

what is that? don't know about the finish, but the design is kind of cool!

I've always loved the look of Fano Guitars' SP6's. I'd be lying if I said they didn't help inspire my Tele Special.

I'm sure you'll dig those BK's, I love my Riff Raff  :icon_thumright:

Can't wait to see the finished guitar.

Back