Newbie questions for first build

Ok, this is how my order is looking so far (not yet ordered) but in the process of elimination...

Carved top Tele
Black Korina Body
Select quilt maple top
Natural mask binging
Black cherry burst
String through recessed tone pros TOM
Norton Zebra Bridge HB
Air Norton Zebra Neck HB
AAA Birds eye neck/fingerboard - 24 3/4"

Thoughts and comments welcome, but hoping that will look classy, play nicely and sound big, sweet and tonefull?

Last Triumph said:
Ok, this is how my order is looking so far (not yet ordered) but in the process of elimination...

Carved top Tele
Black Korina Body
Select quilt maple top
Natural mask binging
Black cherry burst
String through recessed tone pros TOM
Norton Zebra Bridge HB
Air Norton Zebra Neck HB
AAA Birds eye neck/fingerboard - 24 3/4"

Thoughts and comments welcome, but hoping that will look classy, play nicely and sound big, sweet and tonefull?

Again, a Maple neck will need a finish on it.
Perhaps Canary/Canary or Pau Ferro/Pau Ferro would be a better choice.

Don't be steered away from a maple/maple neck if you want one - I have one with the satin clear and it looks and plays great.

I also have both 25.5 and 24.75 necks from Warmoth and both are equally good. No issues at all with set up or intonation.

I think your combination sounds very cool and should look and play amazing. Good luck

Last Triumph said:
Thanks guys.

Been looking and listening to pickups all night and reading as much as I can - a common denominator that comes up time and time again is the DiMarzio combo of a Tone Zone and Air Norton which from what I've read is a fantastic combo as long as they're not burried into a wold of mahogony or rosewood and have something a little brighter to work with?

Anyone used this combo before?

I recently had the TZ/AN combo in a alder bodied guitar with a maple/rosewood neck and a Floyd Rose bridge. I love the Air Norton, but the Tone Zone sounded like pure mudd. Too much bass and not enough treble.
Of course the amp you're using does have an effect on how the TZ will sound. Didn't work well with my set-up...

Black Korina is supposed to have a pretty warm tone similar to Mahog. I think that a Maple neck would be a nice compliment to Korina or Mahog. add some highs to the equation so to speak. I have a Warmoth Birdseye maple neck finished in satin and it is AMAZING. I love it. I also have two exotic wood necks and they are awesome but I always go back to Maple. If you dig the feel and look of maple go for it!

I can also throw in my 2cents on the conversion necks. I have two and both set up and play wonderfully without issue.

But remember.......be sure to get what YOU want. A Maple/maple neck might not be the most exotic or "custom" option but this is YOUR custom guitar!

Cheers Guys.

Yeah, I've read enough to steer me towards the Norton in the bridge position instead of the TZ.

Until I joined this forum, I'd never considered an unfinished neck. My Gibson has a finished neck, and my awful Jackson has a satin maple neck and to be honest, I can't really tell much of a difference in terms of ease of playing.

I've just ALWAYS wanted a pale maple finger board. Neck wood can still be considered?  maybe I'll go for satin on the neck if I stick with maple?

I would like to ad a touch of brightness to the sound though after 20 years of Gibson 'snuggle blanket' LOL

Another question.... 11/16 or 5/8 nut width..... never realized there was a difference.... Instinct tells me to go for the narrower 5/8" as along with a 24.75 scale, will feel better proportioned and closer to what I'm used to?

I always felt that the slightly smaller scale of the gibson made bending a touch easier due to slightly lower string tension and stretching at the lower frets not quite the stretch on a 25.5.

I know it;s MY guitar and i should build what I want, but having never done this before, if I can avoid mistakes that can only be a bonus.

I just want to make sure i won;t get laughed of stage with a tele body, 2 x HB and a string through TOM / Warmoth head stock..... kind of has a foot in both camps?

At the end of the day it's just a tool. I enjoy having many different tools in my toolbox - painted necks, unpainted necks, different scale lengths, different nut widths, different neck shapes.

Unless your super particular and think you just won't like a particular combination I'd say mix it up a little and try something that you wouldn't normally get to try with a stock instrument.

Nut width really becomes more of a function of string spacing then some sort of proportional issue with scale length. I have two "W" necks that are 1-3/4 at the nut and one that's 1-11/16 but the next will probably be a 1-5/8 just to mix things up.

My advice would be to measure you existing guitars necks both width and thickness to get a starting point for deciding on nut width and profile. If they feel comfy to you then just pick the "W" option that gets you closest to that measurement. If not - take a pair of calipers to your local guitar center - find the neck that you like the very most and measure it.

As far as one scale being easier to bend on vs. another - remember you can always change string gauges to compensate for that.

Makes, sense - thanks.

Just as a side - how come Warmoth don't offer the BC Rich Mocking Bird shape any more?

BC rich won't allow it.

anyway. Go with the canary neck. looks like maple, but plays and sounds better.

the norton in the bridge is a great choice, the air norton is ALSO a great choice. very nice combination.

Last Triumph said:
Is that the same story with the Wolfgagng?

Does anyone have any pics of carved top teles by the way?
Aye, except swap in Ernie Ball for BC Rich.

Here's a CT Tele: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=13320.0

Those are both gorgeous. I especially like the purple burst / quilt one.

I've never been a tele guy, but having had a LP for 20 years, I wanted something else. First choice would have been a Wolfgang, or a Mockingbird, but in the absence of them, I've been looking for an alternative.

My choices are:-

Carved top tele - classic and similar in shape to a WG
LPS - Similar to my LP, but with a different look
Carved topVIP - Just cool
Carved top Soloist - As above

Something tells me that the carved top tele will be the most unique and possibly the most enduring?

If Only I had the money to make all four! LOL

hi everyone i want to build guitar,want to use wamroth pro neck  and mighty mite guitar body.i have no experience warmoth neck ll fit mm body?

i try find info on another sites and someone tells it fit some one not.i read about bayman problem on his telecarbonita guitar i warred if same ll happen with me please share with me your experience i really need support i want warmoth pro with 6105 frets and decide buy unfinished body and made by myself hey guys i need advice help

If the Mighty Mite body is made to Fender specs, it should.
For more info, read here: http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/faq2.aspx

Back