New Years, New Guitars. So please help me out my next one.

jalbertochavez

First off I just want to say that I hope all you Warmoth Faithful out there passed the holidays well & celebrate New Years safely next week.

Well, I'm typing up the last details on my Excel blueprint of my next Warmoth ax which will be a 25 1/2 scale hollow Les Paul (AAAAA Quilt Maple on Mahogany body/ Ebony on Mahogany neck w/a Quilt Maple veneer, and Rio Grande pickups). This will be my first Les Paul ever. I'd always thought they were alright but never liked the size & weight of 'em and the configuration of the controls, never liked that PU selector up high. I've also never liked tone controls on any guitar, I want as much output as possible.

So on this Les Paul I'm going to have 2 volume controls in their stock positions, and the pickup selector in place of the neck pickup's tone control. However, I don't know what to do with the empty space where the bridge's tone control would be. I can already see a DPDT switch there, but I don't know what its purpose should be. So what should I do with that empty space? Coil tap? Ser/Para? Ser/Tap/Para? Any other ideas?

(Sidenote: please, please don't suggest anything that would include active electronics. I know other people use active pickups & electronics with great results, more 9 volt power to them, but it's not for me.)

:rock-on:

I think a switch that does series/parallel.  This is a must for all of my humbucker guitars, especially ones with hot pickups.  I can go from a searing lead tone to a great hollow clean tone with just a switch and some volume knob manipulating.  Which Rios are you going for?  I can't wait to build a Black Korina LP with the TX/BBQ set.  The clips sound just spectacular, and everyone on here raves about them!

-Rose

dudesweet157 said:
I think a switch that does series/parallel.  This is a must for all of my humbucker guitars, especially ones with hot pickups.  I can go from a searing lead tone to a great hollow clean tone with just a switch and some volume knob manipulating.  Which Rios are you going for?  I can't wait to build a Black Korina LP with the TX/BBQ set.  The clips sound just spectacular, and everyone on here raves about them!

-Rose

I plan on using Rio Grande's Crunchbox in the bridge and Punchbox in the neck. I've played the TX/BBQ set already and they sound kick @$$ too, but I've got them in mind for another LP idea.  :laughing7:

"Which Rios are you going for?  I can't wait to build a Black Korina LP with the TX/BBQ set.  The clips sound just spectacular, and everyone on here raves about them!"

I've used a couple of sets on builds, and even though I coil tapped one, I never wind up using the taps; full on sounds too good to mess with

Back