New Wilkinson locking bridge

stratamania

Mythical Status
I had heard about this bridge a while ago, but here we can see it in action.

Not sure when it will go into production or what its availability will be but it shows a lot of promise.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1GwzNJCCAM
[/youtube]

I like the non fine tuning floyds more.
They have fixed saddles. A bit harder to intonate, but more stable i guess.

To me, that locking screw so close to the intonation point could present some issues.
Seems to me that it should be further back as to not interfere with the intonation point.

It's an interesting new take, similar to the one Fender tried 30 years ago, and also to the NFT Floyd Rose. However, experience tells me that because this system is still not accounting for every factor related to tuning stability, it probably won't work well enough for me. I am not a crazy-go-nuts trem abuse either. But I am crazy-go-nuts about staying in tune.

I'll just stick with Floyd Rose. "Clipping ball ends..." be damned. When you add up all the time and maintenance necessary to keep a trem system in tune, a FR trem is a time saver in my experience. With a FR system you don't have to flip the guitar over six times when changing strings to load them from the back (yes, I know you could load them all at once in the same flip, but I'm being hyperbolic to strengthen my argument), and you don't have to dork around with lubing the nut all the time. You don't have to waste time tuning and retuning because you think you hear something amiss, and then more time trying to figure our what part of your trem system is the culprit.

You just string it up, and it works.

What he said.

Plus, with a Tremol-No locked into hard tail mode, stringing up 1 string at a time from the face, and subsequent stretching, it goes even faster.

I can re-string, stretch, ready to gig each of my Floyded guitars in about 15 minutes start to finish this way.

I am looking forward to trying the non-fine tuner Floyd, and if this Wilkinson becomes broadly available after Suhr, have their stock I might retrofit my 510 with one.

But having used Floyds since 85, any other new builds will be getting a Floyd or Schaller. I have enough guitars without them for different tunings and Teles and Les Pauls with fixed bridges. If you know what you are doing with Floyds they are not difficult to deal with at all.

When I only had one guitar with a Floyd, I could not tune down to E flat easily or retune to open tunings etc, but that's what other guitars are for now.

Back