New Warmoth Site Bug Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should there be an option for 'I will contact Warmoth' for Paint choice, also suitable for when you want a painted walnut body, etc.

:turtle:

I know this a stupid feature request rather than a bug…

Wishlist Bugs:

1) When saving a configured guitar body to your wish list, the control routs are not saved.  For a rear-routed telecaster, when reloading saved item from wish list, the picture changes to top-rout.

2) If you click on a wish list item in the right column widget, you are taken to a blank configuration of that item instead of the one you saved.

Tests were done in Chrome and Firefox on Windows 10 (Laptop).

Can anyone confirm that is a bad idea to have "Butterscotch Blonde" or "Mary Kay white" on Alder?
I thought those 2 colours would look a bit paler and more opaque on Alder than on Ash.

I'd also like an option for colour = "Transparent - Buyer to Specify". 

JohnnyHardtail said:
Can anyone confirm that is a bad idea to have "Butterscotch Blonde" or "Mary Kay white" on Alder?
I thought those 2 colours would look a bit paler and more opaque on Alder than on Ash.

See post above from Wolff05 who works for Warmoth producing fine photos and this is something Aaron has mentioned before. I remember also it was offered before but has since been stopped for the reasons cited.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=33260.msg463185#msg463185

Wolff05 said:
Frankie Chestnuts said:
Maybe just the combinations of finish and body wood, but I'm trying to visualize a roasted swamp ash or alder on a tele body with butterscotch blond.  Doesn't seem to be an option.

Butterscotch and Mary Kay are only available over Swamp Ash. When it's ordered over other woods, 100% are returned because the customer doesn't like how it looks. Butterscotch over roasted wood turns into a greenish baby poop color.

That being said, if your heart is set on it, you can probably order it by contacting customer service, and it will be non-returnable.

With that said, it seems strange that the left-hand info tab shows Mary Kay and Butterscotch over various other woods, despite not being able to opt for those combinations.

braziers said:
Wolff05 said:
Frankie Chestnuts said:
Maybe just the combinations of finish and body wood, but I'm trying to visualize a roasted swamp ash or alder on a tele body with butterscotch blond.  Doesn't seem to be an option.

Butterscotch and Mary Kay are only available over Swamp Ash. When it's ordered over other woods, 100% are returned because the customer doesn't like how it looks. Butterscotch over roasted wood turns into a greenish baby poop color.

That being said, if your heart is set on it, you can probably order it by contacting customer service, and it will be non-returnable.

With that said, it seems strange that the left-hand info tab shows Mary Kay and Butterscotch over various other woods, despite not being able to opt for those combinations.

Based on the above, that sounds like a bug!

JohnnyHardtail said:

Mary Kay over Alder comes out pink.
Butterscotch over Alder comes out ok, but keep in mind that alder has no distinguished grain like swamp ash does, so it comes out kind of blah.

Attachments

• MaryKay.jpg
    MaryKay.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 118
stratamania said:
garytlove said:
stratamania said:
garytlove said:
I wish I could see ALL in stock necks (and bodies) and sort from there.  The only option I am seeing is to sort from individual headstock (body shape) styles.  Is there a workaround?

e.g.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-bodies

Reached by Guitar Bodies, See All Models.

But if you mean show me absolutely everything in stock all at once, then not to my knowledge. In normal times when the showcase is fully stocked there would be too many items for it probably to be useful.

I used to be able to click the Screamin Deals Buttons and see ALL of the hot deals in one spot.  Is that still hidden in there somewhere?

I am not aware of a Screamin Deals section. Just items that are in a particular type have an icon indicating they are.

If you search the website for "screamin deals" you'll get what all the screamin' deals parts of any variety, at least in the desktop browser version. 

Attachments

• warmoth search.png
    warmoth search.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 92
Bagman67 said:
stratamania said:
garytlove said:
stratamania said:
garytlove said:
I wish I could see ALL in stock necks (and bodies) and sort from there.  The only option I am seeing is to sort from individual headstock (body shape) styles.  Is there a workaround?

e.g.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-bodies

Reached by Guitar Bodies, See All Models.

But if you mean show me absolutely everything in stock all at once, then not to my knowledge. In normal times when the showcase is fully stocked there would be too many items for it probably to be useful.

I used to be able to click the Screamin Deals Buttons and see ALL of the hot deals in one spot.  Is that still hidden in there somewhere?

I am not aware of a Screamin Deals section. Just items that are in a particular type have an icon indicating they are.

If you search the website for "screamin deals" you'll get what all the screamin' deals parts of any variety, at least in the desktop browser version.

Confirmed that works... :icon_thumright:

Or just click or bookmark this link as a shortcut to the search results...

https://warmoth.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=screamin+deals

Is there a reason I can't search for custom tops on the 'thinline' telecaster? Does this model have a specific requirement that doesn't let us choose? It's missing the field entirely once you select the wood for the top.

Not sure if it's a bug or just a policy I am not aware of.

Also only one f-hole whereas the hollow carved-top tele allows for two, but again, I don't know if that's just a feature of the guitar.

The thinline tele only has one F hole as an option due to how the control cavity is positioned.

Confirmed the Lam top would usually have a Unique choice option and does not exist altogether. Looks like a bug.

stratamania said:
The thinline tele only has one F hole as an option due to how the control cavity is positioned.

Confirmed the Lam top would usually have a Unique choice option and does not exist altogether. Looks like a bug.

Thinlines take a 1/4" lam top instead of a 1/8" lam, so we usually don't stock any UC tops for those, since they are one of the only body types that takes that width.

Wolff05 said:
stratamania said:

Thinlines take a 1/4" lam top instead of a 1/8" lam, so we usually don't stock any UC tops for those, since they are one of the only body types that takes that width.

Aha that explains it... perhaps it might be worth adding a note to the thinline builder somewhere that UC is not available on that design....

probably not a big deal, but when I view the site on my iPad the text in the buttons are backwards  :evil4:...  on my iphone and computer it looks fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0319.PNG
    IMG_0319.PNG
    974.6 KB · Views: 112
I think they should get rid of the drop downs altogether and go back to "radio buttons" or "checkboxes"

Example of radio button below. It's a lot more efficient for the user because they can see what ALL options are before even clicking.
JLiqT.png

Drop downs on the other hand requires user to click to even see what options are available.

Another option is "checkboxes"

HTML-checkbox-Tag-1.jpg

bricksnbeatles said:
I also noticed that the bass neck builder displays a 21st fret marker on the overhang of a 20 fret neck. (Picture attached below, though it’s the same case with dots or any other inlay style)

Another slight issue I noticed is that every bridge, pickup option, finish option etc shows in the dropdown even when not applicable. For example, when you select ‘candy finish’ it doesn’t just show you the candy colors in the color drop down— it shows all of the finish options, and you have to scroll down to the few that aren’t greyed out. Another example is that when you select ‘hardtail’ bridge, the drop down still forces you to scroll through the full, mostly greyed-out range of bridge options including all of the ‘tremolo’ options

To me the drop-down boxes are a help because it allows all the configuration to be visible on a single page. 

If they go back to radio buttons, the build needs to be done step-by-step on many pages like the old version.    Then they can have a review page at the final step when its added to the cart.  I think the new version is simpler, but the old version may be able to show more information.

stratamania said:
Checkboxes are still used for things like controls and contours.

Yep.

We used dropdowns for any options where only a single choice is available for that option. E.g. the majority of options. They save space, and allow us to fit the entire builder for each model on a single screen. We didn't use radio buttons because they chew up acres of screen space, especially for options like paint, frets, etc. If the whole builder were laid out using radio buttons the page would stretch from here to the moon.

Checkboxes are used any time there are multiple choices available for an option. E.g. controls and contours.

Radio buttons are used when only one choice is available, but you need to be able to click on available options for previews. AKA Unique Choice.

We chose this layout for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is responsiveness. On the last website you could not even access the builders (and many other parts of the site) on mobile. Now you can get to every part of the site on any device. Making that possible was a big challenge. When you have a truckload of builder options, images, and supporting info pages that have to dynamically fill a desktop screen or condense into a cell-phone-sized screen, you have to make some tough choices and compromises. I think the way we went about it does a pretty good job of making things work in the smoothest way possible across all devices.

We are sure to make some tweaks in the coming months, but it's not something that will change in any kind of major way in this iteration of the website.

Mayfly said:
braziers said:
Wolff05 said:
Frankie Chestnuts said:

Based on the above, that sounds like a bug!

I guess it depends on how you define "bug". I wouldn't call this a bug, but it is certainly a contradiction that can cause confusion. Looking at it now, from the outside, I can see how it looks like a careless bonehead mistake, but there are real-world reasons for this stuff, that make it much more understandable.

Here is how it happened: This website took FIVE YEARS to build. (gulp). Three years ago, when we were building the finish visualizer, those options were still available. Six months ago is when the decision was made to limit wood options for Butterscotch and Mary Kay. By that time, the finish visualizer had been completed and marked finished for years. Literally. We had long since moved on to developing other parts of the site.

There are plenty of other examples. Has anyone noticed the clubs, hearts, diamonds inlays that are in the inlays visualizer, but not available as options in the builders? When we built that visualizer (at roughly the same time as the finish visualizer) we felt certain those inlays would surely be a standard option by the time the site launched. Three years later, when the site launched.....they still weren't.

There are more, and we'll be getting to them as soon as we are able.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back