New Warmoth neck and a PRS S2 Vela/Reclaimed Copy build

dmraco

Master Member
So I REALLY want want one of these.  However they are expensive and scarce.  So I decided to build one for myself out of the left-over wood I have from other builds.  Mahogany, cherry, basswood, maple, walnut etc.

I am not sure of the layout because I am limited to the amounts of wood I have.  I am going to try to make all the curves etc.  Maybe even the F hole.

This will really challenge my abilities.  I will go with a Warmoth neck of course.  Most likely a Warmoth Headstock in a 24.75 scale.

Attachments

• IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 67
Looking forward to seeing this come together. By 'leftover woods', does that mean little scraps all glued together in an interesting pattern or big pieces so it isn't too patchwork?

Rgand said:
Looking forward to seeing this come together. By 'leftover woods', does that mean little scraps all glued together in an interesting pattern or big pieces so it isn't too patchwork?

It will resemble the bass I just completed.    Most of the wood I have is not more than six inches wide.  This will likely have a center block of mahogany flanked by walnut on the top and basswood on the back.  Depending on final design I may have a strip of cherry in their too.

I could do the entire thing from basswood but the grain on part of it is less than desirable.

DMRACO said:
It will resemble the bass I just completed.    Most of the wood I have is not more than six inches wide.  This will likely have a center block of mahogany flanked by walnut on the top and basswood on the back.  Depending on final design I may have a strip of cherry in their too.

I could do the entire thing from basswood but the grain on part of it is less than desirable.
Sounds like it will look good. Some very cool guitars have been done with complimentary strips of wood. Basswood on the back will certainly lighten it up.

DangerousR6 said:
Damn dude, you need a hobby, too much time on your hands... :laughing11:

I thought thats what this was!!! :eek:

The pile of wood has been sitting.  This will likely come together quick...at least the blank.  I am doing this simultaneously with the JEM project I am working on.  I am going to my father-in-laws house in two weeks to mill all the wood.  He used to teach wood shop and has a shop so big he bought house next door to him so he could expand.

I just hope I do not have to use the purple heart...too hard to work with.  Literally.

My biggest challenge is cutting the F hole.

Do I cut the F hole and then contour?  This will cause the wood to be slightly thicker on one side.
Do I contour and then cut the F hole?  Cutting on an angled surface is tricky

I absolutely love my S2 Vela. I really wanted one of the reclaimed wood velas. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

What scale?

DarkPenguin said:
I absolutely love my S2 Vela. I really wanted one of the reclaimed wood velas. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

What scale?

I have one of the Blue ones with Bird inlays.  It looks like a Gibson Phelham blue in color.  I think the PRS is a 25 inch scale.  I will likely do 24.75"

so excited...I just got one of these.  It will make short work of those inside edges.

1d9aa720-1d5a-420b-84f0-2f817ba8b912_1.9e9bb5d0e86345d76ac87b9db305bae1.jpeg

Mayfly said:
woah - does it have a connection to a dust extractor?
The ultra-convenient 1.5 inch dust port provides the option to attach a dust extractor to collect sawdust, ensuring a cleaner work surface while minimizing clean-up after the project.

I looked at several and this one had the best rating for the price point.  $101 USD on Amazon Prime with free delivery. 

The Central Machinery one from harbor Freight looks very similar but all the reviews on the WEN was very positive.

Nice pick up. Coincidentally, I've been looking at buying an oscillating spindle sander too! They're only about $100, but I'm still trying to justify buying it, considering the amount of use it will get.

DMRACO said:
The Central Machinery one from harbor Freight looks very similar but all the reviews on the WEN was very positive.
Wen is definitely a quality brand for the price. I have a Wen jig saw that's at least 20 years old and still going strong.  :icon_thumright:

DMRACO said:
so excited...I just got one of these.  It will make short work of those inside edges.
Good purchase. That's something I want to pick up one of these days myself, eventually.

Well this beauty showed up today.  The most I ever paid for a hardtail bridge.  This has serious adjustment capabilities.  I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

I also made a template to work with.  Along with my actual S2 Vela, I should be able to make a nice copy.  The thing that scares me the most is the body contours.

I have a box of wood planks ready to glue and shape for Monday

Attachments

• IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 23
DMRACO said:
Well this beauty showed up today.  The most I ever paid for a hardtail bridge.  This has serious adjustment capabilities.  I hope it sounds as good as it looks.
That Schaller 475 looks awesome! I fully intend to use one on some future build.  :icon_thumright:

It's one of the most adjustable hardtails you can get, plus it has a lotta mass. The only caveat would be that you have to watch it when changing strings - without tension on them, the saddles will rotate out of place fairly easily. Fortunately, they're easy enough to rotate back into place - you just have to get the string tension off them so they'll move.

Back