New Warmoth Badass Sleeper Strat

DocNrock

Master Member
The pieces/parts finally arrived!  Below, you'll see a picture of the body itself.  Wild maple top on an alder strat body; the finish is black cherry burst.  I was originally just going to get a black body, but I saw this in the showcase and I just had to have it.  I personally thought this finish on this grain looked badass! 

barebody1.jpg

To me, the cherry blending to the wood just screamed gold hardware, a touch of class, if you will, imparting "sleeper" status.  But I wanted tonality ranging from metal to blues, so I went with Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, Vintage Rails, and Cool Rails (bridge to neck).  I chose these again for "sleeper status," as there is no big humbucker in the bridge, but the hot rails is a pretty high output pup (Dave Murray from Iron Maiden uses it in his strat).  The trem is an original Floyd.  Not shown are the screws for the pickguard; they're gold too.  The output jack is a Planet Waves shielded jack.  The switch is a 5 way CRL and the pots are RS guitarworks, as is the tone cap.  I plan to initially stay simple with the wiring, so I'm going to wire it with the "Fralin blender" modification. 

mockup1.jpg

The neck I've ordered for it is a maple angled strat style with abalone dots and gold frets.  Unforunately, the neck is still a couple of months out.  Of course, Doug (Dangerous R6) is making me a custom gold neck plate. 

:party07: :rock-on: :guitarplayer2:

edited

Rickgrxbass said:
Gorgeous!  Although I'm still biased against putting a pickguard over all that beautiful maple...

Not an unreasonable thought, at all.  However, it came top-routed.

Pfft, don't listen to spaulding, it looks awesome.  You should blacken the trem cavity, though (didn't we just have a thread on this? :p).

DangerousR6 said:
I got just the thing to go with it........
2479321003_53b7362b79.jpg

Doug, that is badass!  You da man!  Talk about the piece that brings it all together...

From the pic, it looks like you were able to hollow out the W as opposed to just perimeter engraving, would that be correct?

Choosing gold hardware for this is wise, there's nothing fitting better  :) Although this grey mid takes getting used to, this is a great body.
I saw nearly this kind of body with a red natural binding in the showcase, absolutely gorgeous.  :cool01:

Back