New video: High Output Humbucker Smackdown

Here is Righteous Sound's highest output pickup set - I had these in a Warmoth build and they were great. I don't think they're a copy of anything:

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Righteous Sound except that I'm a regular client, and a friend of Joshua Spataro, the owner.
These sound great, but I think Arron did Duncan’s because Warmoth sells Duncan’s. It’s great to be guitar player these days because there is lottery hundreds if not thousands of great guitar pickups.

It’s great to be guitar player these days because there is lottery hundreds if not thousands of great guitar pickups.

Not sure I fully agree. The market is way oversaturated, everybody and their Dad has a pickup line, each with their own flowery tone descriptions & at least a handful of folks to swear that the kit they bought and have installed in their particular guitar two days ago is The Best Set Ever Made. And that's compounded by a ton of demos online that can make any pickup sound incredible in one case, and like trash in the next, just like they do in person.

All this applies to Seymour's stuff too of course, but there's something to be said for getting in the market early. Anybody can make a good pickup but there are at least 15 of his humbuckers I know very well, including all of these, so if he releases something like "a '59 but more bass" I have a good sense of reference. Very few I haven't been able to make work.

Credit to Aaron here for doing a respectable job in his video, and getting some of the differences across despite YT compression and all the other things.

Last edited:
These sound great, but I think Arron did Duncan’s because Warmoth sells Duncan’s. It’s great to be guitar player these days because there is lottery hundreds if not thousands of great guitar pickups.
I forgot that Warmoth sells Duncans. Apologies to Aaron if my posts were misinformed.

All I know is that we have to be at band practice at 7! You all ready?!

Last edited:
Just bought a JB from Warmoth last week, along with a body and neck for a '78 white and black EVH style build. Thought about it for two seconds. It's $80 and I'm sure it sounds fine. 21 partscasters later I've never been disappointed in a pickup purchase. Guess I've become the dreaded "tone is in the fingers" guy.

I was a diehard 59+JB guy for a long time. Then, when I got the Kraken (Victory's 5150 clone) the JB became just too mid-rangy for me. I EQ'd a ton to try and fix it, but wound up deciding to go another direction. Full Shred, Steve's Special (DiMarzio), Custom Custom, and finally Pegasus all got a try. I've stuck with the Pegasus now, and most of the tracks on the album were cut with that combo (59+Pegasus).

It was hard for me to tell much difference from Aaron's video, but in person, I can say that I really liked both the Steve's Special and the Full Shred, but both were lacking a bit in the bottom end. The Pegasus was the key there.

I was a diehard 59+JB guy for a long time. Then, when I got the Kraken (Victory's 5150 clone) the JB became just too mid-rangy for me. I EQ'd a ton to try and fix it, but wound up deciding to go another direction. Full Shred, Steve's Special (DiMarzio), Custom Custom, and finally Pegasus all got a try. I've stuck with the Pegasus now, and most of the tracks on the album were cut with that combo (59+Pegasus).

It was hard for me to tell much difference from Aaron's video, but in person, I can say that I really liked both the Steve's Special and the Full Shred, but both were lacking a bit in the bottom end. The Pegasus was the key there.
I had a Steve's Special. I really tried to like it but it's just too scooped in the midrange. I also tried a Dimarzio Tone Zone and it had too much low-end. I like the JB, but the main bridge humbucker I use is the TB-12 (I hate the name "Screamin Demon" as it really doesn't represent the sound of that pickup). I know that lots of companies make good pickups, but I like to stick with what I'm familiar with, and for full-size humbuckers, I love Seymour Duncan. For hum-canceling single coils and dual rail pickups, I love Dimarzio. One of my Warmoth builds will have a passive EMG that's a 13k wind with ceramic magnet. I already had it so I figured 'might as well use it.

I was a diehard 59+JB guy for a long time. Then, when I got the Kraken (Victory's 5150 clone) the JB became just too mid-rangy for me. I EQ'd a ton to try and fix it, but wound up deciding to go another direction. Full Shred, Steve's Special (DiMarzio), Custom Custom, and finally Pegasus all got a try.
In test 2, I thought the Pegasus sounded like it was going through a Dallas Rangemaster. I am really curious how it sounds through a fuzzface.

There are other high output pickups besides Duncans. We use nothing but Righteous Sound Pickups in all the Pinter guitars. In our single pickup model SB1-S we use a modified version of this RSP pickup:
Looks like a multi tool from a far.

^^^ It kind of does, doesn't it. Probably because of all those hex screws. They're not there for looks, but for a specific tone Joshua was going for.

Back