New video: High Output Humbucker Smackdown

Trying to watch but internet on my phone today is nothing but pain and buffering.

I see Aaron solved the high output humbucker problem by just leaving out the neck pickup

I went the other way with a Planet Tone Pasedena 7k on the bridge and a Sheminith to match it in the neck. I'm almost down into Filtertron territory as far as output goes. And it rocks. (Not necessarily shreds, but definitely rocks)

Anyone need a pair of EMG Hot70 megasnotblasterreamyourampanewone pickups?

Also, does anyone know where to buy cbd gummies?

starting the vid now, but dang, u gotta get on the timestamp train like this vid

edit: its interesting... i can def hear the nuances in output level on your video very well, but the tonal EQ differences are much easier for me to hear in the Duncan video i linked. wild times, brotendo

btw, CBD gummies in 2023 are as easy to get as reeses pieces, no spam bot required lmao

Last edited:
Now do all the PAF style pickups, you will probably need some cbd gummies before you get started.

hahahaha, loving the Invader praise, my guy. vindication at long last.

invader is love, invader is life, all hail the invader.

wait until you try coil splitting it (he stays thicc)

Funny, I liked the custom custom, and the distortion best. I guess the reason I like the distortion is that it's a "blow torch". And the JB is the jack of all trades. But now I want to try an invader!

The Distortion sounds like mud. The JB, Custom, Custom Custom, and Pegasus all sounded good.
I have no use for the super hot pickups, and since modern guitar amplifiers have more pre-amp gain than you'll ever use, those pickips are totally unnecessary.

I think for me the JB followed by the Custom Custom are more in my general wheelhouse.

To save me typing see also the video below regarding the question about the Dimebag pickup being different construction wise. Though Ola does not have the Wilde 500XL in his comparison. Of these types of pickups, for myself I prefer the Wilde L500L which is more Alex Lifeson and also closer to the original German made OBL in my eighties Hamer. Even OBLs were later Korean made and not the same after Bill L sold the name to Gibson.

Last edited:
The Distortion sounds like mud. The JB, Custom, Custom Custom, and Pegasus all sounded good.
I have no use for the super hot pickups, and since modern guitar amplifiers have more pre-amp gain than you'll ever use, those pickips are totally unnecessary.
+1!
After watching the video and listening to Aaaaaron's killer riffs, I grabbed a telecaster (with vintage style pickups) and learned the same riffs off the video. Got the same tone as the JB, with a little help from a prototype Mayfly pedal (tentatively called 'the Velvet Sledgehammer')

+1!
After watching the video and listening to Aaaaaron's killer riffs, I grabbed a telecaster (with vintage style pickups) and learned the same riffs off the video. Got the same tone as the JB, with a little help from a prototype Mayfly pedal (tentatively called 'the Velvet Sledgehammer')

Oh....you learned the riffs? Cool!

Brand practice is Tuesdays at 7:00. See you there!

Also: do you happen to know any drummers, bass players, or singers?

The vid was interesting. I thought by it's specs I would like the custom custom with the A2. (I have other A2 pickupsI like) So I got one and found it to be dull and terrible for my taste. I swapped in an A5 and still was not happy, then swapped in a double thick ceramic and it made it better. Ultimately however, it resides in Spud's box o parts. I think all the custom variations are based on an over wound Duncan 59, which I don't like either. Maybe it is the perfectly symmetrical coils Seymour loves? dunno......................of course YMMV.

Thanks for another great shootout @aarontunes !
I am not a fan of high output pickups, so out of these I gravitated towards the Pegasus and Custom Custom, especially as they cleaned up better in the ”Test 5”.

There are other high output pickups besides Duncans. We use nothing but Righteous Sound Pickups in all the Pinter guitars. In our single pickup model SB1-S we use a modified version of this RSP pickup:

There are other high output pickups besides Duncans. We use nothing but Righteous Sound Pickups in all the Pinter guitars. In our single pickup model SB1-S we use a modified version of this RSP pickup:
Looks like a Dimarzio Disto copy.

Here is Righteous Sound's highest output pickup set - I had these in a Warmoth build and they were great. I don't think they're a copy of anything:

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Righteous Sound except that I'm a regular client, and a friend of Joshua Spataro, the owner.

Back