New video: full Tele bridge vs half Tele bridge.

I'll preface this with, I am far from a Tele expert. The only true Tele I have, or have ever even played, is my Warmoth build featured in my avatar, and I have to say, I never ever had an interest in a Tele, but this guitar has made me appreciate the Tele. My LPC is my #1, but the Tele has become a very close #2.

With that being said....

First off, as always, great vid Aaron

I heard a slight, and I mean slight difference between the 2. To me the full bridge had a touch more snarl, while the 1/2 bridge was a touch less full, but also let the highs shine a little bit clearer and more prominent. The differences here though are very negligible and could be attributed to the dynamic attack of how it was picked.

A year or so ago, I had it in my head to build another Tele pickup'ed guitar, and found the other half of the Tele bridge for sale on Etsy. This is basically the front part of the full Tele bridge where the pickup mounts, and this would allow for mounting the Tele bridge pup using in effect a Tele pickup ring. I haven't use this yet, but I'd assume that little bit of difference I was hearing in snarl would be even less of a difference using this pickup mounting method. I've seen this done a few ways now. One is the true front half of a Tele bridge, another was made from brass that seems to be an adapter to use a Tele bridge pup in a humbucker route, and other was plastic (...phooey).

View attachment 63154

@aarontunes , if you ever need a similar idea for another vid, would love to see how a full Tele bridge compares to the pup being mounted either the way you did it in your vid, or using one of the Tele "pickup rings" mentioned above, and using a trem for the bridge. I've seen it argued that using a trem would lessen some dynamics and sustain. Would love to a vid from you demoing this.

My local GC has a used Ibanez AZ Prestige Tele (forgot the specific model name) with the Gotoh 510 trem, and I'm very interested in it. I haven't played it through an amp, but have played it and it is very much a modernized Tele. Unlike their other AZ offerings with the Gotoh 510 trem, they deck the trem claiming it increases sustain and resonance. A Tele pup with a Strat type trem sounds very interesting to me.

Last edited:
You can’t order the rout right now

You can just tell em in the order notes.

Yes you can. It's just a different bridge, not a different rout.

Both bridges use the exact same rout, the Vintage Tele Bridge rout. There are many, many other Tele bridges out there that also use the same rout. You could almost say it's an "industry standard".

That's what made this video possible.....or at least much easier for me! All I had to do was take one off and put the other one on.

Yes you can. It's just a different bridge, not a different rout.

Both bridges use the exact same rout, the Vintage Tele Bridge rout. There are many, many other Tele bridges out there that also use the same rout. You could almost say it's an "industry standard".

That's what made this video possible.....or at least much easier for me! All I had to do was take one off and put the other one on.
I think he means that you cant order the "vintage tele" bridge drills unless you have a tele bridge pickup or bridge humbucker

brass is non ferrous so the difference is the same as having the cut off bridge in my experience.
However brass is more conductive so there will be greater eddy current loss. I think we may be hearing the eddy current effect more than the magnetic permeability change.

I believe the Fender Am standard tele bridge plate is made from brass.

Last edited:
In my earlier "Metal Warrior 'til Death" phase, I eschewed Teles because they weren't metal enough for my tastes. I've long since walked back on that as I've expanded my musical viewpoints. The Tele I built, the first body I ever routed from blank, is one of my favorites now. I've actually dialed it down a bit on intensity when playing it and appreciating its nuances for more rock 'n' roll vs. pure f-ing metal all the time.

And inspired by both our own @alexreinhold and his TRVE Tele plus John 5 and his Ghost Telecaster, I'm looking toward the future to make a metal Tele someday. Probably some high-gain humbuckers in the single coil form factor :)

Gentlemen - I assure you if you simply ask for a Tele half bridge in the order notes you will be able to get it. See the below 7/8 Tele with custom bridge rout, and cabronita controls which are also “off menu”. Just ask Warmoth for what you want.

IMG_8386.jpeg

Back