New Video: Exotic Neck Wood Shootout

i called 2 weeks ago and aske ab out padouk and bloodwood fretboards, i chose the padouk but both were available off menu, limited amount o not on the builder

Shoot, why did you have to tell me that bloodwood is available. now I have to decide if I want that, and spend more money.

Last edited:
I wonder if these differences would be more noticeable on bass guitars because of the significantly greater mass of the strings and increased tension in relation to the rest of the wood.

I wouldn't expect to hear as much difference on a Modern construction neck. The double trussrod increases the rigidity of the neck, so IMO this is going to take away some of the difference from the wood. As I understand, the Modern construction is recommended for wood types that are less stable. I expect a neck made from roasted maple would probably not benefit as much. I doubt an indian rosewood neck would have a stability problem either, but depending on the wood, I'm not sure that rigidity and stability always go together.

Finally listen to it. The only difference I notice not attributed to playing style changes was also with GA.

waitaminute: aarontunes the musician is "The Warmoth Video Guy"?
I have watched a bunch of your videos prepping for my upcoming superstrat build; very good and informative. And this one no exception. (y)(y)
Very sharp editing job, btw (I spent most of the last decade working as a professional video editor...)

I thought the sonic differences were very subtle, even up here on my best studio monitors. On second watching the goncalo definitely the thickest of the bright exotics. I'm still really happy with my recent choice of roasted maple - I crave clarity and brightness most of all (and prefer humbuckers, so can't rely on single-coils for that...)

Last edited:
Aaron is a hell of a moderator and marketing guy and guitarist and composer and explainer and supporter of the community and a hell of an overall human being.

I hate that guy.

First_Peanuts_comic.png

I'M KIDDING. I admire the hell out of you, @aarontunes , and I'm grateful for all you do for us on this forum, for the artistic efforts you share, and for being a tremendously communicative and approachable public face for Warmoth.

I wonder if there's any tonal difference between rosewood and Pau Ferro. I know Pau Ferro is harder/more dense.

Since I have already have placed a Warmoth order for a finished body and a neck, it’s good to hear that a Wenge neck is less brighter than a roasted maple neck. And it’s also good to know how to pronounce “Wenge” correctly… WHEN-gay! Cool and informative video, Aaron… 🍻

This comparison test is useless since it doesnt't follow even the very basics of scientific testing. I don't expect a significant statistical sampling, since that would be cost prohibitive, but at the very least these comparisons need a control. You need to first show there is no difference between two necks made from the same type of wood before drawing any conclusions about differences between woods.

Even the weight comparisons are useless. Anyone that works with wood knows you can get huge variations in density from the same tree. Just look at weights of the same wood for the same body on Warmoth's own site and you'll see weight variations of over 30% percent.

This comparison test is useless since it doesnt't follow even the very basics of scientific testing. I don't expect a significant statistical sampling, since that would be cost prohibitive, but at the very least these comparisons need a control. You need to first show there is no difference between two necks made from the same type of wood before drawing any conclusions about differences between woods.

Even the weight comparisons are useless. Anyone that works with wood knows you can get huge variations in density from the same tree. Just look at weights of the same wood for the same body on Warmoth's own site and you'll see weight variations of over 30% percent.
we all await your video, then

bro hasnt heard the phrase 'don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good' rofl

we could all get needlessly pedantic about the details, or enjoy that someone even did something like this at all

It may not be very scientific but I don't think it's fair to call it useless.

Don’t you love the newbies when they show up with all of their ‘wisdom’ but no concept of building relationships?

It may not be very scientific but I don't think it's fair to call it useless.
What use did you get from the video, then? If you can't draw any conclusions because of the way the comparison was designed, then how did it help you? I'm not saying this out of spite or anger. It's a simple fact. If you can't first say that two of the same type are identical, then you can't meaningfully compare it to anything else.

The only useful thing I got out of the video is a visual comparison of how the woods look.

I think the video is fine. It's a guitar video, not some kind of engineering product or lab equipment. The demonstration is pretty typical of the experience of the player in home or studio setting. Although different people will hear in different ways.

There are sure to be variations due to issues with repeatability, but it's the same situation when you order custom guitar parts. Every piece of wood is unique. Perhaps you could receive a neck made from Wenge that has properties closer to roasted maple, and others might be more like Canary. This video gives an indication about the magnitude of variations you could expect from the different materials.

There is already a demonstration of the same guitar tested twice to show the variation in the method used.

What use did you get from the video, then? If you can't draw any conclusions because of the way the comparison was designed, then how did it help you? I'm not saying this out of spite or anger. It's a simple fact. If you can't first say that two of the same type are identical, then you can't meaningfully compare it to anything else.

The only useful thing I got out of the video is a visual comparison of how the woods look.
Sorry but it doesn't seem like you know what you're talking about. You wouldn't need to show (nor have any reason to assume) that two of the same type would be identical. In fact, there would almost necessarily be variance between any objective parameters in otherwise 'identical' builds.

Such blatant contradictions ("Anyone that works with wood knows you can get huge variations in density from the same tree" vs "If you can't first say that two of the same type are identical, then you can't meaningfully compare it to anything else") suggest to me that you're merely trolling. So I'm going to stop taking the bait now.

Please feel free to post your own peer-reviewed video.

Back