New Video: Exotic Neck Wood Shootout

What use did you get from the video, then? If you can't draw any conclusions because of the way the comparison was designed, then how did it help you? I'm not saying this out of spite or anger. It's a simple fact. If you can't first say that two of the same type are identical, then you can't meaningfully compare it to anything else.

The only useful thing I got out of the video is a visual comparison of how the woods look.
Then your observation skills might be lacking. Conclusions are derived from observations.

As mentioned earlier, I also believe this is a troll and/or someone working for a Warmoth competitor. Which means that there is no point in commenting this further. The fact is that @aarontunes is doing one helleva good job with these videos!

Sorry but it doesn't seem like you know what you're talking about. You wouldn't need to show (nor have any reason to assume) that two of the same type would be identical. In fact, there would almost necessarily be variance between any objective parameters in otherwise 'identical' builds.
Sorry, but you don't have even a basic understanding of the scientific method, and I'm sad that I need to educate people on such elementary concepts. Without a control, you can't make any conclusions about the result of a comparision. Here's a wikipedia article in case you need a refresher on what that means. From said article: "Controls eliminate alternate explanations of experimental results, especially experimental errors and experimenter bias."

Such blatant contradictions ("Anyone that works with wood knows you can get huge variations in density from the same tree" vs "If you can't first say that two of the same type are identical, then you can't meaningfully compare it to anything else") suggest to me that you're merely trolling.
Ah, so anything you disagree with is a "troll". That's convenient. Also, those two statements are not contradictions in any way, and both statements are 100% true.

@jowala there are a whole series of comparison videos.

They are not meant or intended to be using a strict scientific method, just providing practical comparisons of what is being compared in that particular video. Some find them useful, some find them fun, some may not.

just providing practical comparisons of what is being compared in that particular video. Some find them useful
My point being that they are not providing practical comparisons. The way the comparison is designed makes it impossible to actually make any type of conclusion about what difference the neck wood makes to the sound. I assume the point of these videos is to help people make decisions about what type of wood they may want to choose for a neck. Unfortunately, at least from a sonic perspective, the video does not do that.

My point being that they are not providing practical comparisons. The way the comparison is designed makes it impossible to actually make any type of conclusion about what difference the neck wood makes to the sound. I assume the point of these videos is to help people make decisions about what type of wood they may want to choose for a neck. Unfortunately, at least from a sonic perspective, the video does not do that.

From your point of view, take them for what they are. If they are of no use to you, it is what it is.

Practical, in this case being pragmatic comparisons and not meant to provide double-blind tests etc and scientific graphs and so forth.

Back