New User use of site

robzebr

Is there one link ... like "Newbies start here" 

Or is it best just do searches to look for information before asking questions?

Thanks

Welcome.

There's no newbie thread (aside from the posting guidelines), but there are some sticky threads at the top of some of the subforums.

But doing searches is recommended as lots of questions have indeed been answered.

Ok then...

A 7/8 scale guitar ... who is that for?  Is that for a "small" adult or maybe a young person.
I'm 5'8" 220 sleeve length 33/34...  average leaning towards hands on the small side...

Is there any reason that I should be considering a 7/8 scale guitar body?

If a 7/8 scale guitar is obviously less weight... is there any reason to get a chambered 7/8 scale...  again we're talking about a normal sized adult...

robzebr said:
Ok then...

A 7/8 scale guitar ... who is that for?  Is that for a "small" adult or maybe a young person.
I'm 5'8" 220 sleeve length 33/34...  average leaning towards hands on the small side...

If a 7/8 scale guitar is obviously less weight... is there any reason to get a chambered 7/8 scale...  again we're talking about a normal sized adult...
I have several Jackson Dinky's, which are 7/8 bodies and I love them, but they really aren't noticeable against a regular strat...

I should have mentioned this..

The whole point of this endeavor is to get as near a perfect fit as I can with regards to the neck...

I currently have a Carvin SH645 Semi Hollow body... nice guitar just not quite perfect enough as far as the neck... 

robzebr said:
Ok then...

It doesn't really have anything to do with the physical concerns of the player, though some players with arthritis or limited dexterity gravitate toward shorter scale lengths to alleviate pain, or aid in fingering certain chords. Generally, short scales appeal to those who prefer the tone or feel of the scale in question.

7/8 scale offers a different feel and better access to the higher frets.  It may or may not be what you're after, but it's available.  On the other end of the spectrum is the baritone conversion neck.

When you say the "feel" of the scale... you are talking about the tonality... correct?  and not how the notes align under your fingers... distance between fretted notes etc...

So slightly different answers by AutoBat and Line6Man....

Better access to the higher frets is a "physical" circumstance....

My concern is strictly about getting the best "fit"... which would include good access to the higher frets... I'm not worried about tunings, tonality...  just if by getting a 7/8 scale would allow my average to average/small hand access more of the fretboard more comfortably...

I would also be getting a 24.75 Pro Conversion ... so that would be the WarHead .. if thats what turns out to be the thing to do...

If not ....then I'd get the regular strat and the regular 24.75 Pro Conversion Neck...

I'm just looking to have my hand cover more real estate...

I'm a little bit ahead of the bullet ... let me back up....

I tried a bunch of different necks... all the usual suspects... Fender, Gibson, PRS.

I went to a guitar show where I tried a Rickenbcker 360 and really liked that neck... so I came home and did some reading... and found that the neck depth from top to bottom was naturally different on all the different makes...  The Rickenbacker I believe was .80 and the PRS was .82in...

Subsequently I found that the Carvin was .78in...  So I thought the Carvin would be the best fit....  I didn't take into account the carve of the neck...

SO while the Carvin was "ok" it didn't feel as comfortable in my hand as the Ricky...

Then I happen to try an Ibanez Wizard neck... and also found the Warmoth site which mentions having a "Wizard" option....

So bottom line I was thinking of a Warmoth Strat body with a 24.75 Conversion neck with a Wizard carve....  that seems to get me the closest to the fit that I was looking for...

Keep in mind that the "conversion neck" is designed for a regular body, not the 7/8 short scale ones (that's what makes it a conversion neck). You lose a little upper fret access with the conversion neck, whereas the 24 fret 7/8 neck and body offers much better upper fret access.

Also note that the nut width can dramatically affect the feel of a neck - a wider width with the same profile feels much bigger than you might expect.

I believe Warmoth also offers an unlisted option of "short scaling" the bridge/PU routes on a normal (flat top) body at an upcharge for use with the 7/8 necks.

Yeah on the Warmoth site they point you towards the "WarHead" neck if you want a 24.75 neck...with the 7/8 scale....

I think what I'm looking for ... is whatever combination of neck and body gives me the best fit...

As far as width.. the Carvin I currently have is 1 11/16.... I would be looking to try the 1 5/8...

On the 7/8 if one doesn't use a conversion neck....  the net effect is the same default neck as far as scale ... its just the body is a little smaller ... correct?

In other words... If I was to just order a 7/8 scale body and a regular neck that comes with it... normally ... a regular scale neck...  That neck would be the same scale as the neck that comes with a regularly scaled strat body...  Is that correct?  Its just the 7/8 body that is smaller... the neck is the same as a regular strat ... unless one orders the WarHead neck which is the conversion neck for the 7/8 body....

I think thats right....

thank you for all your help....  Most of the other questions I have I can pretty much search for and find... but I needed a quick answer on this so I can get back to the body builder and begin to cost out a strat body... and a neck....

Thanks again...

robzebr said:
Are your Jackson Dinkys .. chambered?
Nope, they are all solid, 3 are ash and 2 are basswood..And I'd have to say the basswood Dinky's sound better than the ash... :guitarplayer2:

To clarify:

A "conversion neck" is 24.75" scale neck designed to be mated with a body that normally expects a 25.5" scale neck.

The 7/8 Warhead necks are 24.75" scale necks designed to be mated with a body expecting a 24.75" scale neck (like the 7/8 bodies).

The difference is the location of the bridge relative to the neck pocket - the bridge is located further from the neck pocket on a 25.5" scale body.

So then in those 2 examples.... which setup would contribute more to a smaller distance between the frets...

Is there any difference or are they both the same in that regard ... both 24.75 scale so the distance between the frets would be the same... (?)

Thanks....

If it's important, a regular body with a conversion neck is only available with 22 frets.
A 7/8 body with 7/8 neck only comes with 24 frets

You cannot mix & match 7/8 designed body & necks with any other body or 25.5 necks or 24.75 conversion necks.

Back to one of the OPs points

We need to have the same questions asked again and again by new people or this entire forum just turns into one big FAQ.

Some of the topics asked here have been answered many times, and many of the people giving the answers, asked the original question years ago

Back