New Triumphant Neck

Okay, now I'm confused.  Recently, I was told that I could NOT order a neck that did not require a finish and add a finished headplate.  This one obviously has an unfinished neck (rosewood) with a finished (quilt maple) headplate.  What's up with that?

kellysmall said:
Okay, now I'm confused.  Recently, I was told that I could NOT order a neck that did not require a finish and add a finished headplate.  This one obviously has an unfinished neck (rosewood) with a finished (quilt maple) headplate.  What's up with that?

It's by special request only, at an up charge.

I had it done on KEANU.
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=18881.0

This is no warranty against chipping or flaking because you have paint work that stops at an edge.

Yeah, but it's a small price to pay for that much sexy. Treat it nice, and it won't be an issue.

Cagey said:
Yeah, but it's a small price to pay for that much sexy. Treat it nice, and it won't be an issue.

What's it like in that area Cagey - they done a good job?

I've bought reasonable guitars for less than what it cost me to have a quilt veneer matched to the body in what was already a one off custom dye finish for a VIP.

As for up charging, the guitar might as well be called 'Upcharge' as pretty much everything I wanted either wasn't a regular option, or had to be investigated as a 'one off'.  I doubt I'll have much (if any) change out of $3k by the time it's ready to play, but to get such a high quality and unique piece exactly how I want it, I guess that's not too bad.

Last Triumph said:
What's it like in that area Cagey - they done a good job?

Superlative. You even got just a hair of a natural binding around the very edge where the Maple shows through with no brown/copper. It looks deliberate, because it's consistent all around and very attractive, almost like a paper-thin laminate under the laminate. I'll be sure to get better pictures of that when I shoot the frets, but I'm waiting for my roommate's camera for those shots. I haven't been happy with what I'm getting from mine for the real close-ups.

Well, the body showed up and I'm speechless.

Nothing more to say.

I'm on vacation so can't post pictures (yet), but it is simply off the scale.

I have more pictures! I wish they were better but I can't get the detail I'd like to show with the camera I have, and my roommate is rarely here lately so I can't get any "pro" shots. But, just to give you an idea of what we've got going here...

IMG_1615_Sm.JPG

A grain shot, more than anything. Fretwork doesn't show as well as I'd like, but whaddaya gonna do?

IMG_1618_Sm.JPG

A similar shot from another perspective...

IMG_1624_Sm.JPG

The headstock, with the tuners installed...

IMG_1631_Sm.JPG

Strung up, to test for reality

IMG_1637_Sm.JPG

Gratuitous shot of that neck on that body, and why you shouldn't do that...

I can't play left-handed any more than I can fly unaided, so I can't say it's the best neck I've ever played. Trying to play it normally was bizarre. Chords don't sound right at all <grin> I will say this, though: it's slick. It's not obvious from the pictures, but those frets are well-done and super-polished, and even strung upside-down you can still bend strings and I mean to tell you - these are some slick frets. Between the hardness of the material and the polishing - just lovely. I'm very pleased with how this has turned out, and I'm pretty confident Mr. Triumph will be, too.

What ya mean ya can't play it, just pretend your Hendrix  :icon_biggrin:

I'm sure he'll be wrapped with the neck, when he gets it  :icon_thumright:
Can't wait to see it on the proper / matching body thou.

Ya did a great job on getting those teeth marks out too  :toothy12:

BTW ... Nice strat body Cagey .... Is that a Tangerine Orange ?

I pretend I'm Hendrix all the time... then I wake up <grin>

The body is a Warmoth "Candy Tangerine" finish. I like it a lot. Normally, there's an Ebony over Bubinga neck on there, but I yanked it to test this one to be sure the frets were perfect. You can measure/inspect a neck until the cows come home, but until you string it up you don't know for certain that the frets and relief are good to go. Gotta stress it and bounce some strings on it.

Cagey, do you have any oil or coating or <insert good stuff name here> to rub on the fretboard and neck or whatever it is you do with A RAW NECK AND BAORD?

Maybe it's the ligfht in the pictures, but the board looks very dry in places??

Either way, you've done a fantastic job and I thank you most sincerely.  :eek:ccasion14:

Wait until you see the body - it's totaally out of this world - it's the head stock all over again with amazing figure and the iveroid binding is just creamy goodness!

Last Triumph said:
Thats from it being tossed in the fire after the dog chewed on it  :icon_jokercolor:

Are looking at the neck or the decking  :icon_scratch:

Last Triumph said:
Cagey, do you have any oil or coating or <insert good stuff name here> to rub on the fretboard and neck or whatever it is you do with A RAW NECK AND BAORD?

No, I don't oil necks. Hate the way it feels, and have never seen a need for it. Maybe if I had a neck for 35 years or something... but, that's just me. In any event, this one's not dry anywhere. You're seeing flash bounce from the camera. That Ebony is very dense, almost like plastic, so even a raw finish looks somewhat polished and camera flashes are intense, so...

Cagey said:
Last Triumph said:

No, I don't oil necks. Hate the way it feels, and have never seen a need for it. Maybe if I had a neck for 35 years or something... but, that's just me. In any event, this one's not dry anywhere. You're seeing flash bounce from the camera. That Ebony is very dense, almost like plastic, so even a raw finish looks somewhat polished and camera flashes are intense, so...

I was talking about the grass.....  :icon_jokercolor:

Cool Cagey - awesome stuff!

The DiMarzio's turned up this afternoon as well so just the neck to go.  :cool01:

It's on its way. Hold on to your shorts. Maybe wear a diaper - when you see this thing, you're gonna shit.

Cagey said:
It's on its way. Hold on to your shorts. Maybe wear a diaper - when you see this thing, you're gonna shite.

I'm still clearing up the mess from when I opened the body box!

My neck just turned up and I am blown away - it's utterly gorgeous and I couldn't be happier.

However, I would like to add that it would be nothing without the amazing work Cagey has performed on it - it really is incredible. He's done such a fantastic job - it looks like it's just come from a jeweler. Every fret is 'wet glass' perfect. I bet when Cagey isn't on here or playing guitar, he's out there on the lake walking on water.

Anyone who needs a neck setting up or any fret work doing needs look no further than Cagey - his craftsmanship and service are a million dollars and I thank him most sincerely.

:eek:ccasion14:

Thank you for the kind words. Warmoth deserves a great deal of the credit, though. They make some outstanding parts. I was almost intimidated by that neck because it was so beautiful right out of the box. Didn't want to cut on it out of fear of hurting it <grin>

And thanks for the phone call. Gotta love a British accent. Felt like Paul McCartney was calling me a "good boy" <grin>

Back