New Triumphant Neck

Last Triumph said:
One tries ones best, doesn't one?

Indeed. I've been fussing about guitars for a lifetime, and have owned a lot of instruments and known a lot of players, so I've got a pretty good idea about what works and what's desirable and why. Basically, it all boils down to the fact that you don't want your instrument getting in your way of making music. That's where happiness lives. Make the thing comfy, and if you can't fly from there it's your own fault.

I know that all sounds like negative reinforcement, but it's true. Knock down the barriers, and you're free to run. That's why I don't like "vintage" hardware. It gets in your way.

Cagey said:
Last Triumph said:
One tries ones best, doesn't one?

Indeed. I've been fussing about guitars for a lifetime, and have owned a lot of instruments and known a lot of players, so I've got a pretty good idea about what works and what's desirable and why. Basically, it all boils down to the fact that you don't want your instrument getting in your way of making music. That's where happiness lives. Make the thing comfy, and if you can't fly from there it's your own fault.

I know that all sounds like negative reinforcement, but it's true. Knock down the barriers, and you're free to run. That's why I don't like "vintage" hardware. It gets in your way.

Indeed.

Just musing over your Paul McCartney comment - it might be of some interest for you to know that being from near Liverpool, Paul Mc Cartney is actually my mom's second cousin. We've never met as the family is huge and very sepparated, but the link is there. When you go back through the two generations in our family tree - I have the same left handed gene as Paul.  :laughing7:  Hope your dog appreciated the taste of the wood....

Interesting. I just went looking around at some statistics, and found that Great Britain is much more populous than I thought for it's size. You've got better than 50 million people squeezed into the same space we'd put Alabama. Even more curious, Canada is bigger than the the US area-wise, but only has about 32 million people, which is about the population of California. Lotta empty space up there. But, it's kinda like Siberia. You have to have a damn good reason to live there. It's pretty inhospitable, terrain and climate-wise.

And here in the UK we pay just over double what you guys are complaining about paying for gas! Yep - we're almost $10 per gallon for unleaded...... now you know why our cars are all 'fun sized'.

I chuckled to myself when filling up my rental car yesterday listening to two guys moaning about the price of gas, where I felt I was making a mere donation. - it was only $65 to fill up the entire tank! VERY cheap.

Damn. We're on the verge of slipping into anarchy here for $4 gas. I can't imagine what would happen at $10. We're so spread out, people think nothing of living 30-40 miles from work, and it's almost a requirement. One of my brothers and his wife spend about $600/mo. on gas because they're so far from where each of them work.

Problem is, the inner cities and their immediate environs are so overrun with criminals you don't dare live anywhere near them. I mean, Detroit makes Baghdad look safe by comparison. You're much more likely to get killed or otherwise abused there. So, what's a mother to do? They've finally got the concealed weapons carrying permits pretty easy to get so crime rates have gone down considerably, but still. Who wants to have to blow people away just to stay alive themselves? Even if you enjoy that sort of thing, it's still inconvenient because there are almost no businesses. Get hungry or tired or need gas or whatever while driving through Detroit, and you're pretty much out of luck. You need to get to the suburbs asap.

Is that an original Floyd with out the fine tuners? :icon_scratch:
IMG_1637_Sm.JPG

That's what they call it, but the original Floyd is what it's modeled on. Only a die-hard aficionado like Doug would know, but the real OFRs didn't have fine tuners. Their claim to fame was the two-point mounting and the clamped nut which made them very accurate about returning to tune, unlike the 6 point Fender design which had bad nuts, string trees and too much friction at the fulcrum to ever be repeatable.

Lemme continue the highjack......what's the story with the hex nuts on the lock screws on the OG units. Some had them and some didn't. Anyone know the time frame when they were used? I've had 2 of the non fine tune models and neither had the hex nuts.  :dontknow:

pabloman said:
Lemme continue the highjack......what's the story with the hex nuts on the lock screws on the OG units. Some had them and some didn't. Anyone know the time frame when they were used? I've had 2 of the non fine tune models and neither had the hex nuts.  :dontknow:

That would almost have to be '81-'82. I think that's when the OFRs came out, and they were in pretty short supply. Eddie Van Halen made them famous, but that took about a year or so. Out runnin' with the devil and erupting and all.

Back