New toy: Pete Cornish LD-3

Mr. E.

My first Pete Cornish! Just got it yesterday, so now chance to really give it a going over yet.

What's an LD-3? It is a line driver, tuner feed, and mute all in one. Supposedly, if you put one of these at the front of your chain, it greatly improves the overall sound going into your effects chain. But I've heard a lot of testimony that it really improves your sound even if all you have is the LD-3 between the guitar and the amp. So we'll see.

-erik

I'll give it a good going over this weekend.

I'd like to get a G-2 and an SS-3 at some point, but $$$$....

-erik

Wow! I was looking at the G2/SS3 combo pedal -

The PETE CORNISH G-2™ gives a higher level of overdrive for that classic cranked up Marshall sound found on most British rock records of the 70s

Sounds interesting, but for 761.53 ENGLISH POUNDS you can BUY a whole Marshall amp from the 70's, yes, even a good one....

( = $1,262.87)

When the imitation-pedal costs more than the amp itself, the wheels have come off the bus, there. Crikey, mate. :eek: Aren't fuzzboxes supposed to sound bad..... :icon_scratch:

ah, but to get that overdriven marshall sound at the click of a foot switch, in the middle of a song, without having to fiddle with the amp at all, is a different matter. It's a fine tuning, able-to-punch-in-and-out-of-the-sound sorta thing. I prefer playing through extremely clean, loud amp with a lot of headroom, and controlling overdrive (and everything else) via pedals.

But to each there own, etc etc. It's a valid statement you've made, and if you were going for that classic marshall sound as your primary tone, heck yeah, it'd make much more sense to get a good, easily overdriven amp (though I'd go for an Orange myself).

But it is moot, as I don't have that kinda cash. Not now at any rate.  :)

-erik

Hmm, I hate to burst your bubble, but the Boss TU-2 does the exact same thing (active buffer, stomp to mute), plus it's a tuner and power supply and it's smaller and it costs like a tenth of what Cornish charges.

I prefer playing through extremely clean, loud amp with a lot of headroom, and controlling overdrive (and everything else) via pedals.

I agree entirely with this part - my main amp is an SWR SM-500 bass amp, stereo 250 watts-per-channel. I've actually knocked the drywall off the wall of a house with that puppy... :toothy10: However, there's an old adage  - "You get what you pay for" - that has been reverse-engineered into a marketing scheme whereby a finite value and amount of capacitors, resistors, op-amps, wire, boards and whatnot have been ridiculously overpriced in order to trick people into buying "the best." Around December or so, Guitar Player magazine had a special issue with the setups of "20 of the Top Stars" or some such thing. There were plenty of Keeleys and Moogerfoogers and all, but a surprising number of Boss, Electro-Harmonix, even old Arions (!). I'm partial to the old DOD  pedals, the company has morphed into Digitech (still great, IMO).  Their old stuff was made with top-notch op-amps & parts, highly musical engineering, assembled in a secret Utah cave by polygamous vision-seeking Mormons*... get 'em for $25 on Ebay.

As David Gilmour is fond of saying, he can go into any decent music store in any city in the world and buy what he need to get "his" sounds; as New Yorkie jazz assassin Oz Noy has said, there's ten or a dozen octave fuzzes he can tweak to get what he wants, ten or more rotary-speaker sims that'll work, ten or more of this and that.... it's most emphatically not rocket science, and it's not secret magic mojo, not anymore. Price point is a marketing tool, on both ends of the scale. I'm real, real sure that if I got on stage with Oz Noy or David Gilmour, me armed with a freakin' $1200 Cornish stompbox, and them armed with a couple of $30 Behringers, I know how it'd turn out.... you try it, huh?

*(I made that part up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUf8TGiIwiU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpSbe8IxH9Y&feature=related

(BTW - Oz Noy on Effects Part 2 & 3 goes way into the use and function of his toys)

wow - fellas, fellas.... I didn't say everyone needed to sell their children to buy Pete Cornish Pedals, I didn't say use Pete Cornish pedals and you'll sound just like David Gilmour, I didn't say Pete Cornish pedals were better than any other pedal out there. I said  "Hey, I bought a Pete Cornish pedal! I'm happy about it! Let you know how it sounds!"

Buy what you want, play what you want, get the sound you want.

:rock-on:

-erik

let me come to Mr. E's side a bit.

looks like the Cornish stuff is hand built by the man himself and his wife and each pedal is a custom order for an individual customer. that in itself is very cool. Im sure if anything went wrong with the pedal they would bend over backwards to fix it, probably free. Yes, you are paying for the name but you are probably getting way more post purchase service than BOSS/roland would give you. It's like buying a REAL Dumble amp from the guy who makes them.

Brian

Very cool pedal, congrats. 

I was checked out his website.  Man some of those rigs and pedalboards he built for the "pros" are the freakin' craziest things I've ever seen.  Some pedalboards are so big the wahs look tiny.

bpmorton777 said:
let me come to Mr. E's side a bit.

looks like the Cornish stuff is hand built by the man himself and his wife and each pedal is a custom order for an individual customer. that in itself is very cool. Im sure if anything went wrong with the pedal they would bend over backwards to fix it, probably free. Yes, you are paying for the name but you are probably getting way more post purchase service than BOSS/roland would give you. It's like buying a REAL Dumble amp from the guy who makes them.

Brian

this.
:icon_thumright:

Absolutely, there's a coolness that I enjoy knowing that the same hands that built rigs for Brian MAy and David Gilmour built mine, with the same courtesy, attention, and quality. But hey, that's me, and that's what I wanted. Obviously tons of people get great sounds with an almost infinite variety of gear options. All in what works for you.

-erik

Well I'm glad you like the pedal :)  I'll withhold further comment :p

The TU2 is a poor power supply, by the way... the power supply has digital noise on it when you tune :(

Back