New to the forum, just finished a Warmoth '51 P Bass

skotsour

Just thought I'd share a pic of my latest Warmoth build.
Feel free to ask any questions or whatever:
Warmoth 51 P
Poplar
Reranch Orange
Warmoth Pearloid Pickguard
Warmoth Maple neck
Quarter Pounder P Bass pickups
(temporary) Fender MIM Jazz Bridge pickup

155880_10150138372594056_545474055_7875979_6984961_n.jpg

what did you use for the control plate?

as of earlier this year, nobody was making a lefty control plate leaving me to have all of mine custom made. if you've found a source for lefty control plates I'd sure appreciate knowing when I can find them

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
what did you use for the control plate?

as of earlier this year, nobody was making a lefty control plate leaving me to have all of mine custom made. if you've found a source for lefty control plates I'd sure appreciate knowing when I can find them

all the best,

R

If it's just a plain strip of metal with a couple holes in it, why not just flip it over and polish the backside? 

bagman67 said:
If it's just a plain strip of metal with a couple holes in it, why not just flip it over and polish the backside? 

three reasons in my case

- I build professionally, and attempting a stunt like this would cause considerable loss to my build quality reputation

- it's not just a simple plate - the mounting holes are countersunk to accommodate a pan head (pickguard) screw. flipping it over would put the countersinks on the wrong side of the control plate, leaving the need to re-countersink the holes ... and this leads to the requirement of a larger, non-matching screw head to cover the larger hole. honestly, this is only acceptable if you're doing this for yourself on a homebrew project. this process also runs the risk of chipping the fragile plating

- the plates you buy are plated, and the grading QA check is for the visible side. most plates do not have a consistent and quality finish on the back side. I would not consider this plating to be of a quality level acceptable for my bass offerings.

I hope this makes sense, and shows why I am interested in learning of a lefty source that isn't a custom order

all the best,

R

Ever consider making the plate on your own from Aluminum? it buffs up to a mirror finish, though it has a bluer tint, I sware Nickel plating is yellower.

I currently make my plates from stainless steel, and then polish these to a mirror finish. it's a painfully slow task to make these, and IMO it matches the best with all the other chrome or nickel plating on the instrument

all the best,

R

No to mention, if stamped, there is usually a slight bevel on one side making the other side sharper.  Kind of like putting a washer on upside down.  To most, it's a washer.  To the detail oriented, it has a top and bottom.

I work in the IT department at a steel company so I had a couple of control plates made out of stainless. I searched for a very long time to try and find a lefty control plate, but found zilch.

Jack Michaelson said:
Very cool!

Two volume knobs?

How's she sound?

Thanks!
This one is one volume, one tone.
It sounds great, the P/J configuration is one of my favorites. I have a Quarter Pounder Jazz pickup sitting on my desk that will be going in soon, but the MIM one sounds pretty darn good too.

Thanks and being a backwards player is what sparked my interest in Warmoth. It's next to impossible to find a decent, let alone awesome pre-built lefty bass or guitar for a reasonable price.

skotsour said:
I work in the IT department at a steel company so I had a couple of control plates made out of stainless. I searched for a very long time to try and find a lefty control plate, but found zilch.

We had a discussion within a Thread recently about lefty parts availability for Mustangs and Jaguars, specifically lefty Jaguar plates........ :sign13:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=14996.msg216108#msg216108

While Jalane ended up assembling a very fine Jazzmaster, he was looking at a Jaguar.....

Back