New Tele Just Arrived

Jcurl02

Hey got back from a business trip to find this at my door.  Looks great.  Had a slight scare with the neck.  I didn't really want the extra fret and it looks a little off since I won't be using a pickguard.  Take a look at these pictures.  They are from my iphone.  I'll take better ones later.  I won't be able to work on it this weekend as I'm gong on a vacation!

Attachments

• tele body.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,020
  • Tele neck 2.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 954
  • Tele neck.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 958
A couple more picts.

It's a mahogany body with a flamed maple top.  Brown to clear burst.  Rear Routed (duh).  The hardware will be black.  The pickups will be DiMarzio Area's.  The neck is maple with Pau Ferro.

See the gap on the fret board to the body.  Seems excesive but Warmoth said it was normal.  Kind of wish I had checked the correct box on the order form.  Can't blame them for that!

Attachments

• Tele 1.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 985
  • Tele gap.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 982
That's gonna make for one hellava cool tele! I'm becoming a big fan of the brown to clear burst.

Jcurl02 said:
A couple more pics.
Thanks for the 'Thumbnail Pic's'  :dontknow:

OH man ..... for an oldie like myself  :icon_biggrin: ..... I need them just a little bit bigger size pic's than that.
BUT ... don't go HUGE either like others have been doing.
After getting a magnifying glass was then able to see it.

LOOKS GREAT  :headbang: .... though that thou !!

First sorry about the quality and size of the pictures.  I was and am using my phone for now.  A bit too lazy to get out the good camera just to have to downsize it to upload to the forum anyway.

Well, spent a couple of hours working on the project last night.  I managed to mount the pots and switch.  That was not hard but I had a prewired control cover from DiMarzio I had to disassemble and modify to work.  The biggest issue was the Pot holes on the body were not big enouogh and I had to sand out bit of the finish to allow the pots to fit.  Same went for the jack cover.

The next trick was the ferrules.  I tried the solder iron trick but that didn't work.  I reverted to a very light handed hammer method.  That seemed to work fine.  I did use a raspe on the edges of the holes first and that help a lot.

Here are more pictures (not great quality).  The pickups are just set in place at this time as I need to work on the wiring.  The tuning machines are not screwed in yet either (neck is just placed near the location to show the look).

I hope to have it assemble tonight sometime.

TRIED TO ADD PICTURES BUT KEPT GETTING ERRORS!!!!!

Jcurl02 said:
TRIED TO ADD PICTURES BUT KEPT GETTING ERRORS!!!!!

Please read this ... http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=19447.msg286904#msg286904

Well folks, I finished the build this weekend.  Went together nicely.  I took it to the local mom and pop music store to the final setup.  (Note to self, get confidence on doing that step.)  Got it back from the store Tech last night.  WOW!!!  I might just have a new favorite!

I don't know if it is the mahogany body, the Dimarzio Area T's or what but this is one nice sounding guitar.  Even the Tech said it when he called to tell me he had completed the setup.  I'm amazed. 

I will say I expected it to be heavier.  I will weigh it later but it is a lot lighter then my maple on maple tele (also Warmoth, rear routed, basically the same).  Didn't think about it much but I assumed that mahagony was heavier than maple.  Guess I was wrong.

I tried to get some picts last night but they didn't come out well.  I think it was too dark so I'll try again after work.

Once again, a great looking and great sounding guitar built from great components!  Thanks Warmoth and DiMarzio!

Great stuff  :headbang:

Which Dimarzios are they ?

A mate I helped build a guitar for has Area 58' in N & M and a Area 61' in the bridge on a strat.
Which sounds bloody amazing  :blob7:

Updown,

The are Area T's.  Just wired in the normal way.  I actually bought the complete replacement solderless kit.  It made for a super easy install.  I didn't want the control cover so all I had to do was remove the pots (they are short ones but they still fit) and a printed circuit board from the supplied cover and resinstall in my cavity.  Screw in about 4 wires and it's complete.  Very nice and easy to install.

Here is a link
http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/pre-wired/area-pickup-set-tele

OK, I'm going to try to uplaod a few pictures.  Hope they come out as good as it looks  in person!!!!
DSC01861.jpg

DSC01858.jpg

DSC01851.jpg

I know it's not something rare and unique as some I've seen here but I love it!!!

Jcurl02 said:
Hope they come out as good as it looks  in person!!!!

If those look half as good as they do in the pictures, you've got some very special guitars. Those are gorgeous!

I never found the courage to actually do it, but it did occur to me that (after removing the frets you wish to lop off) that a router with a template bit would convert it to a 21 fret neck, (23 in my case) provided that no partial fret slots would be left remaining it'd look just fine. IIRC, making a 24 fret 24 3/4" scale neck into a 23 fret neck would work. I'm not certain about making a 22-24 fret neck into a 21 fret neck.

OK I did a very unscientific weighing in of these two guitars!  (I don't have a baby scale, so I stood on a scale holding them one at a time).  Well the double bound maple weighs in at about 12 pounds!!!! The brown to clear burst is about 8 pounds!  WOW.  I would have never had thought that the maple would be so heavy.  If weight adds to sustain, these must be monsters!

I love them both!

Later!

Back