New Taylor 414ce- Keeping humidity in check...

pabloman said:
Be very careful about the "I've done it this way for years" stories. In order to get away with neglecting your acoustic you need to live someplace with a nice humid climate. At the very least humidity should be pretty stable year round. If not you are taking a chance. I lived in Texas, California, and Hawaii and all I ever had to worry about was strings rusting in a week. I moved back to Colorado and holy shiteee, my frets start poking out and I have a 14th fret hump. Now obviously  your bolt on neck will help that but you still need to worry about the top cracking. A good solid acoustic is a living thing. :headbang1:

True.  I live in Texas and I've never worried about it, though maybe I should be more concerned.  Thanks for correcting my statement!!!

You can find it here:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/oasis-oh-2-digital-hygrometer-w-clip

There might be better hygrometers out there, so you may want to browse around.

I run 010-047 strings on my acoustic. Heavier strings are nice if you're going for low tunings. Otherwise, I have no use for them.

I used phosphor bronze strings for years, but now that the guitar is 15 years old, the tone has mellowed, and now I like the brighter 80/20 bronze.

Street Avenger said:
I run 010-047 strings on my acoustic. Heavier strings are nice if you're going for low tunings. Otherwise, I have no use for them.

I used phosphor bronze strings for years, but now that the guitar is 15 years old, the tone has mellowed, and now I like the brighter 80/20 bronze.

I'm using the stock .012s that came on it from the factory.  I've talked to a few different people and they've all said pretty much the same thing, "Stick with the .012s.  If you go smaller, you'll lose a lot of the nice tone."

Back