New Taylor 414ce- Keeping humidity in check...

Torment Leaves Scars

Just picked up a new Taylor 414ce and I'm really concerned about keeping the humidity/climate correct as to not damage the new axe.  Taylor has me scared to death with all the paperwork regarding wet/dry issues with woods, and quite honestly, I'm feeling like I need to be a meteorologist. 

This is my first really nice acoustic and I need some advice on how to properly care for it.  Even though they've provided information, I think I just need it explained in simple terms.  I'm super-paranoid and when I'm paranoid, I tend to go overboard.  I can almost see myself being the idiot to go hang the thing over a bath tub full of water to insure it doesn't dry out and crack, then stick it out in the sun to make sure it doesn't get too "wet."  :help:

Taylor414ce.jpg

There are a lot of little helpers, e.g. from planet waves. There's the Humidipak or more simply, you could just use a hygrometer.

I have a higher end Martin acoustic, but I'm not too concerned about keeping the exact humidity.
A good advise certainly is to keep your guitar in the case when you are not playing. And when your cooking (pasta, for example), open the case. :)

My sister used to keep half of an apple in the case with her Guild.  She would change it out when it started to rot.  I dont know if it helped keep the guitar at the proper humidity (what ever that is) but it did give it a remarkable smell...kinda like...exactly like...rotting apples.

Nice fiddle! Those Taylors are amazing, aren't they? I have one, and I worried about it at first, too. Then, I just ignored it. Been years. It's fine. Don't worry. They're well-built. Mine's 12 years old now, and it's as good as the day it was born.

Cagey said:
Nice fiddle! Those Taylors are amazing, aren't they? I have one, and I worried about it at first, too. Then, I just ignored it. Been years. It's fine. Don't worry. They're well-built. Mine's 12 years old now, and it's as good as the day it was born.

Thanks, Cagey!  I'm really not used to playing acoustic, so it's a totally different animal for me.  Stupid question, but is it normal for the strings on an acoustic to be a lot "stiffer" than those on an electric?  The strings just seem far "slinkier" on my electrics than on this acoustic.

Another issue I'm having with are some chord fingerings, especially D chords.  No matter how hard I press down the strings, I'm finding myself getting a lot of "pinging" or "twanging."  This doesn't happen to me on my electrics.  Is this just par for the course with acoustics?  I have two other acoustics besides the new Taylor and I experience the same thing with all of them, so that sort of tells me that my playing is the issue, not the guitar, or that this is just how it is with acoustics.

I'd like to pull off some warm, heartfelt solos from time to time with this guitar but the strings are really stiff.  While I don't expect to be sweep-picking, some "slinkier" or "looser" strings would be a great thing.  Is there any way to achieve this, aside from swapping the 414ce back to the store with a thinner-bodied 412ce?  The 412ce had "slinkier" strings than the 414ce.

If you just got it and it's still strung from the dealer, it's likely the strings are heavier than what you're used to. Most acoustics are strung with 11s or 12s, because they depend on a lot of mass from the strings to make the body vibrate. Most electrics are strung with 9s or 10s to facilitate a lot of bending and vibrato, and they don't rely on the physics of the strings for their sound.

The 414 has 25.5" scale, same as a Strat, and that length makes for a slightly stiffer feel. No trem means there's no give at the bridge, so even with the same strings it's going to feel tighter.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pinging" or "twanging", but acoustic string sets sometimes have a different range of gauges within a set than an electric set, so that could be part of it. Also, the alloys they use on those strings is often different, so they don't sound the same as the strings you'd use on an electric. It's definitely a different animal.

I'll tell you one thing - if you get a lot of time on an acoustic then go back to the electric it's like running around naked. Everything is free and easy and you'll be able to slap that electric around like a red-headed stepchild. But, the reverse certainly isn't true. Spend too much time on the electric, and the acoustic will feel like some kind of cruel punishment. It's only saving grace will be the rich, delicious sound.

Also, acoustics seem to be much more sensitive to nut slot goodness. You can't just change string gauges on a whim, or it'll misbehave. If the stiffness is bothering you too much, you may want to drop down a gauge set or two, which means a new nut. Most shops will do that for about $25 or so, so it's not the end of the world, but it's probably not something you want to do too often so make sure you know what you want.

Cagey said:
If you just got it and it's still strung from the dealer, it's likely the strings are heavier than what you're used to. Most acoustics are strung with 11s or 12s, because they depend on a lot of mass from the strings to make the body vibrate. Most electrics are strung with 9s or 10s to facilitate a lot of bending and vibrato, and they don't rely on the physics of the strings for their sound.

The 414 has 25.5" scale, same as a Strat, and that length makes for a slightly stiffer feel. No trem means there's no give at the bridge, so even with the same strings it's going to feel tighter.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pinging" or "twanging", but acoustic string sets sometimes have a different range of gauges within a set than an electric set, so that could be part of it. Also, the alloys they use on those strings is often different, so they don't sound the same as the strings you'd use on an electric. It's definitely a different animal.

I'll tell you one thing - if you get a lot of time on an acoustic then go back to the electric it's like running around naked. Everything is free and easy and you'll be able to slap that electric around like a red-headed stepchild. But, the reverse certainly isn't true. Spend too much time on the electric, and the acoustic will feel like some kind of cruel punishment. It's only saving grace will be the rich, delicious sound.

Also, acoustics seem to be much more sensitive to nut slot goodness. You can't just change string gauges on a whim, or it'll misbehave. If the stiffness is bothering you too much, you may want to drop down a gauge set or two, which means a new nut. Most shops will do that for about $25 or so, so it's not the end of the world, but it's probably not something you want to do too often so make sure you know what you want.

Gotcha.  The specs from Taylor's website state they're using Elixer Lights but fail to mention the gauge.  Maybe I'll just have to see about a lower gauge and new nut...

Elixer lights for acoustics are 12s, and they're phosphor bronze. That would account for the stiffness and surprising presence you're experiencing. 12s on a 25.5" scale are gonna be pretty damn stiff if you're used to nickle-steel 10s on an electric, especially considering it's a hardtail.

I use stainless steel 10s on my Taylor, which is a comfy gauge for me and maintains the presence and articulation you expect from an acoustic. Plus, they last a long time, which is good because I don't play it very often. Bronze strings will go to hell just over time, even if you don't play them.

Edit: If you bought this new, the retailer is supposed to provide a full setup with the sale of the instrument, which is part of the reason they get to mark things up 50% or better. But, if you don't force the issue, they naturally don't volunteer to spend the time/money to do it. But, a good setup is essential. The nut, in particular, may be a bit tall in the slots, as well as the saddle. I'd make sure I got that service before I made too many changes. Also, if you don't like the string gauge, I'd call that part of the setup as well. You may be able to get the proper nut installed for nothing, although they may make you pay for strings. But, they're cheap, and you already know you don't like what's on there.

Cagey said:
Elixer lights for acoustics are 12s, and they're phosphor bronze. That would account for the stiffness and surprising presence you're experiencing. 12s on a 25.5" scale are gonna be pretty damn stiff if you're used to nickle-steel 10s on an electric, especially considering it's a hardtail.

I use stainless steel 10s on my Taylor, which is a comfy gauge for me and maintains the presence and articulation you expect from an acoustic. Plus, they last a long time, which is good because I don't play it very often. Bronze strings will go to hell just over time, even if you don't play them.

Edit: If you bought this new, the retailer is supposed to provide a full setup with the sale of the instrument, which is part of the reason they get to mark things up 50% or better. But, if you don't force the issue, they naturally don't volunteer to spend the time/money to do it. But, a good setup is essential. The nut, in particular, may be a bit tall in the slots, as well as the saddle. I'd make sure I got that service before I made too many changes. Also, if you don't like the string gauge, I'd call that part of the setup as well. You may be able to get the proper nut installed for nothing, although they may make you pay for strings. But, they're cheap, and you already know you don't like what's on there.

Thanks for the info on this,  Cagey.  I'm gonna call the store today about a proper setup.  Which stainless steel strings are you using, just basic electric guitar strings?

>> Thanks for the info on this,  Cagey.  I'm gonna call the store today about a proper setup.  Which stainless steel strings are you using, just basic electric guitar strings?

Yep. I don't remember whose. They're either Fender Stainless Steel, Ernie Ball Stainless Steel or D'Addario Pro Steels. I have all three here, and I don't keep track because I really can't tell any difference between them.

Cagey said:
>> Thanks for the info on this,  Cagey.  I'm gonna call the store today about a proper setup.  Which stainless steel strings are you using, just basic electric guitar strings?

Yep. I don't remember whose. They're either Fender Stainless Steel, Ernie Ball Stainless Steel or D'Addario Pro Steels. I have all three here, and I don't keep track because I really can't tell any difference between them.

I'm a big fan of the DR Blues.  They have a nice "snap" to'em.  They're a hybrid set of three .010s and three .009s.  Think that'll be okay?

I've had a Taylor for 15+ years now. Great instruments. I've never treated it any different than any other guitar. In other words, I don't do anything special in terms of humidity. I've never had any problems and it is still as good as new. Congrats on the fine instrument. You'll love it.

Regarding apples. As a kid, someone told me to put an apple in with my pot to keep it moist. Since I had to stash the pot outside, within a day or so I had a pretty nice science experiment going that wasn't in any way appealing to smoke. Oh, to be young again.

Johnny said:
I've had a Taylor for 15+ years now. Great instruments. I've never treated it any different than any other guitar. In other words, I don't do anything special in terms of humidity. I've never had any problems and it is still as good as new. Congrats on the fine instrument. You'll love it.

Regarding apples. As a kid, someone told me to put an apple in with my pot to keep it moist. Since I had to stash the pot outside, within a day or so I had a pretty nice science experiment going that wasn't in any way appealing to smoke. Oh, to be young again.

Yeah, I'm finally getting used to the dynamics of playing an acoustic and am using one of those "Oasis" humidifiers.  I did buy a Humidipak that I'll probably try sometime.

Be very careful about the "I've done it this way for years" stories. In order to get away with neglecting your acoustic you need to live someplace with a nice humid climate. At the very least humidity should be pretty stable year round. If not you are taking a chance. I lived in Texas, California, and Hawaii and all I ever had to worry about was strings rusting in a week. I moved back to Colorado and holy shitee, my frets start poking out and I have a 14th fret hump. Now obviously  your bolt on neck will help that but you still need to worry about the top cracking. A good solid acoustic is a living thing. :headbang1:

pabloman said:
Be very careful about the "I've done it this way for years" stories. In order to get away with neglecting your acoustic you need to live someplace with a nice humid climate. At the very least humidity should be pretty stable year round. If not you are taking a chance. I lived in Texas, California, and Hawaii and all I ever had to worry about was strings rusting in a week. I moved back to Colorado and holy shiteee, my frets start poking out and I have a 14th fret hump. Now obviously  your bolt on neck will help that but you still need to worry about the top cracking. A good solid acoustic is a living thing. :headbang1:

I was about to say, I've had my taylor for years, and I've treated it like a normal whatever, but I live in Dallas.

Good call Pabloman.

That being said, very nice taylor! I know you'll love it!!

pabloman said:
Be very careful about the "I've done it this way for years" stories. In order to get away with neglecting your acoustic you need to live someplace with a nice humid climate. At the very least humidity should be pretty stable year round. If not you are taking a chance. I lived in Texas, California, and Hawaii and all I ever had to worry about was strings rusting in a week. I moved back to Colorado and holy shiteee, my frets start poking out and I have a 14th fret hump. Now obviously  your bolt on neck will help that but you still need to worry about the top cracking. A good solid acoustic is a living thing. :headbang1:

I'm in a pretty stable climate.  I leave the a/c on at 73 degrees during the summer and the heat on at 70 degrees during the winter.  I'm not sure how it will respond to the winter change, as I've owned it for a week.

pabloman said:
Be very careful about the "I've done it this way for years" stories.

THIS

Taylor isn't messing around with the humidity, BUT it isn't as scary as it may seem. The horror pictures they give you with the guitar show what happens when the guitar is in extreme humidity situations for long periods of time. Unless you're leaving it in the trunk of a black car all the time or storing it in a sauna, it's probably not going to collapse in on itself or blow up like a balloon. That being said, the 414 is an all solid wood guitar, and that makes it prone to cracking if it isn't taken care of.

How do you do that? Well, just make sure that wherever it is spending the bulk of it's time is at 45-50% humidity at 70 degrees Fahrenheit. If you do that, it will be fine. Make sure it is 70 degrees though, because 50% humidity at 50 degrees is very different from 50% humidity at 70 degrees, because warmer air can hold more moisture than colder air. Also, keep it in it's case if you're traveling, and buy a guitar humidifier to keep it moist when entering a dry climate. I like the Oasis OH1 Guitar Humidifier, and you can also get it with a hygrometer, which is something you will absolutely need because it reads the air temp. and humidity.

By the way, I have a 414 as well. It's a great guitar, you made a good choice  :icon_thumright:

I worked at GC here and if we didnt fill up the humidifier on a holiday it was a given that we would find at least one split top. Usually a satin finished guitar too. :dontknow:

Roland said:
pabloman said:
Be very careful about the "I've done it this way for years" stories.

THIS

Taylor isn't messing around with the humidity, BUT it isn't as scary as it may seem. The horror pictures they give you with the guitar show what happens when the guitar is in extreme humidity situations for long periods of time. Unless you're leaving it in the trunk of a black car all the time or storing it in a sauna, it's probably not going to collapse in on itself or blow up like a balloon. That being said, the 414 is an all solid wood guitar, and that makes it prone to cracking if it isn't taken care of.

How do you do that? Well, just make sure that wherever it is spending the bulk of it's time is at 45-50% humidity at 70 degrees Fahrenheit. If you do that, it will be fine. Make sure it is 70 degrees though, because 50% humidity at 50 degrees is very different from 50% humidity at 70 degrees, because warmer air can hold more moisture than colder air. Also, keep it in it's case if you're traveling, and buy a guitar humidifier to keep it moist when entering a dry climate. I like the Oasis OH1 Guitar Humidifier, and you can also get it with a hygrometer, which is something you will absolutely need because it reads the air temp. and humidity.

By the way, I have a 414 as well. It's a great guitar, you made a good choice  :icon_thumright:

I'm using the Oasis humidifier.  Where do I pick up one of those hydrometers?

Back