New Soloist Build: Korina

dmraco

Master Member
I have been inspired...again!  8 years after my 1st build, a maple Tele, I have been inspired to build the ultimate rock and roll guitar.  Specifics are:
Korina one piece body
quilt maple top
maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, SS frets
schaler hardware
Kahler 2315 whammy with a Floyd rose lockiing nut
EMG Active pickups, 81 bridge and 85 neck.
tiger eye finish.

I will post photos ASAP.

Fish said:
Not a big fan of EMGs but I do have a fever, and the only prescription is MORE COW BELL...

Interested in your EMG feedback.  I have active Pickups in my Jackson and like them, but have never used EMGs.

BTW...changed the color to red dye....

I had the exact set up that you are talking about but no tremolo.  I had a Washburn X-50 Pro with the EMG 81 & 85.  It had a soloist style mahogony body with a clear coated flamed maple top and ebony finger board with no inlays.  It was a sweet axe, but I found that without any inlays I was getting lost on the fretboard, so I got rid of it.  Sounds a bit ridiculous, but we guitarists are a strange, quirkie bunch.  Well, at least I am....
The pickups sound great when they are distorted, especially when played loud through a hi gain amp.  But when you back down on the volume to play clean the guitar sounded lifeless to my ears.  For whatever reason I couldn't hear the tone of the wood through those pickups.  It was really weird and kinda tough to explain. 
When the guitar was played unplugged, I could hear a really sweet tone coming from it.  The whole guitar would ring and I could feel the guitar vibrating in my hand and against my body.  It was so cool sounding.  But when I plugged it in and played it through a clean channel, something was lost.  It sounded like those pickups sucked the "life" and tone outta the guitar.  At least to my ear it did. 
I traded the Washburn in for an Epi Les Paul and swapped the pickups for a Seymour Duncan '59 (neck) and a JB (bridge).  I can get sweet clean tones with this guitar and some pretty crushing distorted tones.  I'm very happy with these pickups and would recommed them to any one who is looking to upgrade.
You also have the option of dual to single coil switching that you do not have with EMGs.  EMGs are also abit more pricey and you have to be very careful about keeping a battery with good charge in the guitar.  You have no way of knowing how much battery life is left in them until they stop working, which could be disasterous if you happen to be in the middle of a show when it happens.
Ultimately the dicission is yours.  You could also check out a couple of the other threads on this site for some insite from the other guys.  Look in the pickup section (I think).  There is a pretty big discussion on this topic there about actives versus passive pickups there. 
Hope this helps and post pics of your build when its done.  Everyone here would love to see it, no matter what pickups you choose...

thanks fish...I have a JB in a bridge if a maple tele I built a few years ago and I do like the pickups.  I use the single coil tap quite a bit.  WIth my current rig I have found the JB to be a little to "FAT."  I have a Charvel with the 81/85 combo and seems to play well.  When the battery dies, the pickups do not completly go out, but some of the tone is lost.

I have been exploring other passive pick ups.  the SD Screaming deamon and pearly gates are somthing I an looking to try too.

dmraco said:
thanks fish...I have a JB in a bridge if a maple tele I built a few years ago and I do like the pickups.  I use the single coil tap quite a bit.  WIth my current rig I have found the JB to be a little to "FAT."  I have a Charvel with the 81/85 combo and seems to play well.  When the battery dies, the pickups do not completly go out, but some of the tone is lost.

I have been exploring other passive pick ups.  the SD Screaming deamon and pearly gates are somthing I an looking to try too.

now this post has just the right amount of cowbell.....

Sir SchmoopY said:
dmraco said:

now this post has just the right amount of cowbell.....

If I may ask, what the hell is "cowbell?"

Ok

his avatar is a pic of will ferrel from a saterday night live skit where the blue oyster cult is recording don't fear the reaper

lets go to the clip

http://morecowbelltshirts.dramaticprairiedog.com/more-cowbell-tshirts/more-cowbell-video

Sir SchmoopY said:
Ok

his avatar is a pic of will ferrel from a saterday night live skit where the blue oyster cult is recording don't fear the reaper

lets go to the clip

http://morecowbelltshirts.dramaticprairiedog.com/more-cowbell-tshirts/more-cowbell-video

Ahhhh, now it all makes sense.  I'd never seen that before.  LOL Christopher Walken playing Bruce Dickinson, presumably of Maiden fame.  BTW, BOC rocks! 

Made a few changes today...decided on the 1 11/16 nut and also changed my neck to the Wizard contour.  This is almost the exact dimention of my Old Charvel which I love! 

I also had a change to play a Zack Wild Les Paul withthe EMGs in it!  THEY ROCK!  I particularly impressed withthe model 85 in the neck position when playing dirty...very clear!  There did seem to be a little punch missing in the bridge 81 when clean, but I rarely use that pickup like then anyhow.  It was nothing a little more mid would not clear up.

I am very excited...I just have to wait 12 weeks for the body

Sound like a plan.  Lookin' forward to seein' some pics of your beast when it's done...

I hope my VIP build gets here soon.  The anticipation is killing me...Tom Petty said it best, "the waiting is the hardest part..."

hi there :)

I am rather curious about the pictures of the korina body! altough it is topped.
so perhaps the backside :p or don't you have a transparant coating on it?

Fish said:
Sound like a plan.  Lookin' forward to seein' some pics of your beast when it's done...

I hope my VIP build gets here soon.  The anticipation is killing me...Tom Petty said it best, "the waiting is the hardest part..."

I know what you mean...it's been 2 months since I ordered my spalt soloist.  :tard:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5af90_queens-of-the-stone-age-little-sist_music

Zeiler said:
hi there :)

I am rather curious about the pictures of the korina body! altough it is topped.
so perhaps the backside :p or don't you have a transparant coating on it?

It may be a few weeks before I get it.  I will take some photos of the rear.  It will have transparent RED over the Korina.  From what I have seen Korin looks great.  I ordered a 1 Piece body and the salesman a Warmoth said it was a real nice looking piece.

shanejw said:
sounds awesome.  we need more soloists here.

you inspired me.  I am going with the same body/neck combo you did, except I went with the flat body.  Got to love that quilt maple!!

Glad I got mine when i did.  I'm afraid to think of what a 5A quilt carved top would cost nowadays.

Back