New pickup.

Tempest

I'm looking into getting a new bridge pickup for my HSS strat.  I was looking for something slightly hotter than what I have.  I want it to be good for blues-rock (ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin) to classic metal (Metallica).  I don't want it to be too full out metal though.  Also something not too heavy on the treble, one of the reasons I'm getting rid of the stock pickup is because it's just a bit too bright and i find myself turning down the tone knob sometimes.  If you guys have some good suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chase

Hmm.....a few different ones come to mind.  Rio Grande BBQ bucker, Seymour Duncan Custom (a little hotter with an A8 swap), or Dimarzio Tone Zone all seem to fit the bill.

dbw said:
What is the stock pickup?

No idea.  :dontknow:  I bought it used.  I would imagine it's a stock fender.

Blue313 said:
Hmm.....a few different ones come to mind.  Rio Grande BBQ bucker, Seymour Duncan Custom (a little hotter with an A8 swap), or Dimarzio Tone Zone all seem to fit the bill.

I was thinking about the BBQ and the tone zone.  Those seem to be good choices.

I was looking around on the Dimarzio web site and thought the Super Distortion sounded pretty good.  You guys have any opinions on those?

Tempest said:
I was looking around on the Dimarzio web site and thought the Super Distortion sounded pretty good.  You guys have any opinions on those?

The superD is a great pickup.  It sounds good for both crunch and cleans and can fit in a bunch of music styles.  It also is not treble heavy.

I think I'm gonna get the BBQ.  I like the super distortion but I'm not sure it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Bummer, never noticed that.  You could call them and find out. :dontknow:

Rio Grande Pickups • 3526 East T.C. Jester Blvd • Houston, Texas 77018 • U.S.A.
(713) 957-0470 • FAX (713) 957-3316 • sales@riograndepickups.com

super distortion is probably a little too hot, its bright, and definitely for solos or more in your face playing, its a great pup, i think a dimarzio paf pro would be great for that, its more well rounded and not so in your face, but still has amazing rock tone i think its more of what your looking for than the super distortion.

I was using kisekae and found that if i use the black pickup and change the other pickups to black as well,  then my guitar would look flippin sweet.  So I actually don't need to worry about it not coming in white. 

Back