New (old) guitar day!!!

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Master Member
A co-worker gave me the Mahogony Z body, and the KL/Hetfield neck several months ago.  Another co-worker gave me the GFS Power Rails and Dimarzio Mo'Joe Pickups, and Wifey gave me a Warmoth Gift Cert for Christmas, so I bought the Floyd.

I got her assembled this weekend, wired her up & tuned her down a whole step to D (DGCFAD) and it has some serious testicular fortitude.  I had to lower the bridge pickup quite a bit because it was clipping the front end of my rig, this bridge p/u is around 16k.  The Mo'Joe in the neck is smooth & creamy, got a hint of PAF character, but definitely with more output.

Plays like butter, sounds like Steak!!!

DSC01224.jpg

DSC01225.jpg

DSC01226.jpg

DSC01227.jpg

DSC01228.jpg

Killer axe, Tony!  I like the Hetfield headstock with the Z body.

"Plays like butter, sounds like Steak!"  Classic!  :icon_thumright:

Thanks for posting this!  I didn't think the Z body looked all that great, but now that I've seen one completed, I gotta admit, it looks pretty sweet.  I think the KL Headstock matches it very well.  :kewlpics:

Xplorervoodoo said:
I didn't think the Z body looked all that great, but now that I've seen one completed, I gotta admit, it looks pretty sweet.
+1  I didn't think I would....but I really like it.  :icon_thumright:

I always thought the Z body looked pretty cool, but now I see a completed one, it looks awesome!  Nice guitar!

Very cool.  Love the Z.  The hetfield headstock works amazingly well with the Z body.

erik

Cool guitar!  :party07: I think the Z body is great, I lust for a baritone - I think the body might even balance that long 'ol neck. Ummm - are you going to oil that fretboard?  :eek:

(I hope you don't have to hold it up and play it with yer teeth full-time, cause there ain't no strap buttons...) :cool01:

:blob7:  :hello2: :binkybaby:

stubhead said:
Cool guitar!  :party07: I think the Z body is great, I lust for a baritone - I think the body might even balance that long 'ol neck. Ummm - are you going to oil that fretboard?  :eek:

(I hope you don't have to hold it up and play it with yer teeth full-time, cause there ain't no strap buttons...) :cool01:

:blob7:  :hello2: :binkybaby:

No need to oil it, it's already got a clear satin finish on it.
It balances very well with the longer upper cutaway.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
The neck has a satin finish, the Rosewood Fingerboard does not.

I think stubhead was talking about oiling the fretboard not the neckback. 

That guitar rocks man! Nice job!  :icon_thumright:

Nice  :icon_thumright:. Been wanting to see a Z guitar 'in the flesh', as it were, as I quite fancy one. Trans red mahogany, P90s, Warmoth or Explorer neck for mine. Possibly.  :guitaristgif:

Tempest said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
The neck has a satin finish, the Rosewood Fingerboard does not.

I think stubhead was talking about oiling the fretboard not the neckback. 

That guitar rocks man! Nice job!  :icon_thumright:

Just dirty, plus the lighting in the pics.  That neck was sitting around for a long time.  It's a beater so I wasn't too worried about it.

Very cool, both work well together. 'cept I think the headstock would look better in silver flake with black accent on the raised "V" portion...

Silver Flake up & down would'a been cool, but $$ tight, so I went with it as it is.

The body had been a "Buffer Fly-Away", hence the battle scars.

Xplorervoodoo said:
Thanks for posting this!  I didn't think the Z body looked all that great, but now that I've seen one completed, I gotta admit, it looks pretty sweet.  I think the KL Headstock matches it very well.   :kewlpics:

i cant find the KL headstock, warmoth still do it?

rounce55 said:
Xplorervoodoo said:
Thanks for posting this!  I didn't think the Z body looked all that great, but now that I've seen one completed, I gotta admit, it looks pretty sweet.  I think the KL Headstock matches it very well.   :kewlpics:

i cant find the KL headstock, warmoth still do it?
You pretty much will only see them in the showcase, you might can call and custom order one... :dontknow:

It's come up before.  They batch them.  Call and request one how you want it, maybe a deposit is involved, they call you when they make 'em to see if you're still game.

Back