Introduction: An old hack with new (old) projects

Slackjaw

Greetings,

A long story, but here goes. I started building my own guitars during my Freshman year of High School (1980-81). Being left handed, I had a keen interest in doing my own thing, since my options were limited (and also inspired by EVH). During that time, My parents had recently moved into a new house, and in the garage... the previous owners left behind a two-inch thick kidney shaped table. Of course the first idea that came to mind was, "Man... I should build a guitar out of that!" and away I went.

I had no idea what the wood was... the table top was entirely covered with a thick yellow varnish. Turns out, it was solid black walnut! So I proceeded to strip the varnish and trace out my design. I really liked flying V shaped guitars, but hated how you couldn't really sit down and play one. So my idea was to use the shape of the top edge of an Explorer, mirror flipped at the mid-line, then a V cut out of the bottom. I didn't have a real Explorer to trace, so I just eye-balled it (when I later came across a real Explorer, side-by-side the angles matched perfectly).

Having my design ready, I took a woodshop class with the sole purpose of building my guitar. Of course the instructor had other things in mind! I had to complete all required projects before I could even begin, which meant waiting until nearly the end of the school year. Partly being impatient, and partly not wanting to transport the entire table to class, I cut out the rough outline of the body with the only suitable tool I had available at home... a jigsaw. After drilling starter holes at the intersections, I thought I was leaving enough margin for error, staying at least a half inch away from my line, but... NOPE! The two-inch thick walnut did a number on the blade. Everything looked fine from the top as I was cutting, but as I was finishing the inside edge of the second "leg", the blade bent underneath and carved a slight bevel out of my intended design. :(

While I waited throughout the school year, I began acquiring hardware (a large chunk funded by Christmas money!). A place called "Capt. Whizeagles" in Portland (Oregon) had a small cache of very rough Danelectro neck blanks left over from the factory when it went outta biz in `68, so I snatched one of those up for $50! Early 80's Guitar Player magazines prominently featured Joe Perry with his Lawrence-loaded BC Richs', inspiring the rest of my fitment which included a Bill Lawrence L-500 for the bridge, Dimarzio Super Distortion for the neck (! - total green horn move there), Leo Quan Badass black and gold bridge, and rounded off with a set of gold Ibanez fine tuners sporting pearloid knobs. Hot damn!

So the school year finally comes to an end... the body is done! Over the summer, I broke out a can of Flecto Varathane, sprayed, assembled, and wired it up. You could imagine my anticipation! Plug it in... hey... wha....?? I CAN'T PLAY THIS THING!!! After all that... my first left handed guitar... and it was like starting over!!! For two years, I had been practicing on a RIGHT HANDED old 60's Kay hollowbody (BIG RED) that some kid found in his grandmother's attic and then gave to me. Though I made a valiant attempt, it was too frustrating so I just continued to play right. Also, this being my first and ill-researched build... there were problems. "Scale Length" became a concept only after I discovered that I had mounted the bridge too far back, so it would never intonate. I also botched the nut slot, taking too much wood out of the fretboard whilst filing it by hand. The nut itself was an ugly chunk of brass thing, with deeply cut slots. Oh, trial and error!

During my Sophomore year, I started in on my next project (STUMPY) right away (The instructor lightened up on me after seeing how cool my first project turned out, so pretty much gave me the run of the place). I had been over at a neighbor's house, and he told me about an old black walnut stump his Dad had curing out in the shed (imagine that!). I don't know if he even got permission, but he offered this stump to me. SO I hauled it to school on the bus... bark and all! For this design, I used the basis of my first one, but added an arm and cut off a leg (I saw Buck Dharma at Oregon Jam 80 and thought his guitar was pretty cool). Upon cutting into the stump, I discovered there was serious checking going on throughout the log, so had to build my plank out of about 9 laminates (!). During this time, I had a lot of interested parties who wanted to try their hand at building guitars too, so I would help them along. I was the acting shop foreman! Another guy I was friends with but was in another class, seriously botched his "Strat" project and gave up on it. He sold me the remains, hardware and all for $50. Most of which I ended up using on Stumpy, including his cheapy strat neck (even though he had drilled through the heel).

Here I am holding Stumpy, with my lefty standing up and the macerated strat body on the floor:

(to be continued)

Attachments

• tl-2.jpg
    tl-2.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 451
Trial by fire! First live gig w/Stumpy @St. Helens fairgrounds. Check out the enthusiastic crowd. HA...

Attachments

• Fairgrounds-3-small.jpg
    Fairgrounds-3-small.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 379
  • Crowd-small.jpg
    Crowd-small.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 315
On to Junior year. I was starting to lament not having a trem, and rather than digging into Stumpy again I decided to resurrect that failed project I inherited. The body outline was actually well done, but all the routing was horribly botched and it was only an inch and a half thick. The neck pocket was a particular disaster. Besides overrunning the sides, it was routed too deep and I had to glue in a sizable shelf. I slapped in a thick patch of automotive bondo and re-routed it. The control cavity was made overly HUGE with no reason for it other than stupidity. Luckily it was left pretty shallow though, so I was ok with the amount of wood left on the top but had to use a long shaft pot. The pot wasn't where I would want it anyway, so I filled that with more bondo and re-drilled. The body was unfettered below the pickup hole, so I placed my bridge route easily. For the trem, I went with a Rockinger. I wanted a Floyd, but the fine tuning variety wasn't commercially available yet and didn't want to deal w/that. I had eye-balled the new Kramers that just came in with their "EVH Tremolo" (Rockinger) and noticed they were humbucking spaced. But the catalog I received only offered F-spaced. I placed an order anyway, but specified that I wanted a humbucking spaced bridge (PLEASE!). Yeah... a lot of good that did me! Of course I received an F-spaced bridge anyway.

As was customary at the time, (robbing the neck and pickup from Stumpy) I assembled and played it raw for a while at first.

Revel in the gleaming white bondo patched maple:

Attachments

• party83.jpg
    party83.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 511
I forgot to mention, I cut my own pickup rings out of sheet brass :)

for the rest of the year, I spent most of my time working on projects for others, including my V design for someone else (made out of oak!). Over the summer, I had the strat painted by a buddy who worked in autobody. I copied a paint job straight out of the Charvel/Jackson catalog from 1982. It's the zebra striped one in the middle-top shown below, except that I chose a red-orange for the base. I had him spray the base coat, then using a single sheet of contact paper I eye-balled the stripes and cut them out. I think I got it pretty close (Lefty long abandoned, strat inherited the L-500):

Attachments

• Charvel_Jackson_82_0001.jpg
    Charvel_Jackson_82_0001.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 334
  • WCF.jpg
    WCF.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 341
And then my Senior year project. I decided to redo my original V design as a righty... the RIGHT way. For the first time in woodshop class, I actually used wood sourced from woodshop class! I think the instructor had me in mind when he sourced some reasonably thick Hawaiian koa from his supplier. :) Again, the same X2N interjects itself:

Attachments

• Backyard-16-reduced.jpg
    Backyard-16-reduced.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 345
  • Backyard-17-reduced.jpg
    Backyard-17-reduced.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 348
After High School, we moved up to the Seattle area. Before leaving, I had my autobody guy paint the V white with a chevron pattern. New digs, new band, new paint job:

Attachments

• 30615_1445051889995_7742599_n.jpg
    30615_1445051889995_7742599_n.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 353
  • 30615_1445052170002_1237484_n.jpg
    30615_1445052170002_1237484_n.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 342
Another band guy had a beak-neck Kramer, and wanted to replace it with a Jackson style neck. I offered to do the work in exchange for his old neck. So that went on the strat, and I reassembled STUMPY for my other guitar player with its original neck back on:

Attachments

• 30615_1445052049999_2293544_n.jpg
    30615_1445052049999_2293544_n.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 526
  • 30615_1445051969997_3075306_n.jpg
    30615_1445051969997_3075306_n.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 350
Our band moved into the infamous Music Bank (and so did I... LOL). Jerry Cantrell had his G&Ls by this point, but also had a white painted strat body lying around with a Boogie Bodies neck that he never did anything with, so I helped him put that one together (his EMBO/Fulton guitar). At this time I also met someone in another band who worked at Warmoth. Right on... my new supplier for necks!!! He would always have a cache of factory seconds and what not, and every so often I would have a peek at his "wares". Enter my first Warmoth neck for the strat... a raw maple, zero-radius 1 3/4 nut reverse Explorer headstock jobber. The musical chair neck rotation continues with the beak-neck transferred to Stumpy (which also received a pink-burst treatment):

Attachments

• 30615_1445050169952_2482139_n.jpg
    30615_1445050169952_2482139_n.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 308
  • 264469_10201226680932785_408218182_n.jpg
    264469_10201226680932785_408218182_n.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 335
  • sgt131.jpg
    sgt131.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 357
  • sgt133.jpg
    sgt133.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 324
As the 80's waned, the flashy paint jobs were suddenly obsoleted and I felt the need to dirty up my guitars. I wet-sanded the stripes off of my V and left it a matte white:

Attachments

• IMG_RY1.jpg
    IMG_RY1.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 322
I went a little more drastic with my Strat. I sprayed over the 80's paint job with a can of Stone-Fleck, and ditched the reverse Explorer for a Warmoth Arrowhead. As she looks today:

Attachments

• geetars 042.JPG
    geetars 042.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 323
For STUMPY, with its hideous pink burst my plan was to take it down to bare wood and start over. But I started to make patterns as I was wet-sanding, so I left it at that. It retained the beak neck for a while, but it eventually got the neck it always deserved. STUMPY will be one of my upcoming projects... taking it down to the bare black walnut and clear coating. I'll also be adding a neck pickup:

Attachments

• geetars 087.JPG
    geetars 087.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 349
Around the same time, I gussied up my old Kay (BIG RED). Overhauling this one will be my other project, for which I will be starting a build thread shortly:

Attachments

• geetars 122.JPG
    geetars 122.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 318
Who can leave a perfectly good neck sitting around? I decided to make another lefty "just because" the reverse Explorer was freed up. No longer having access to a shop, this was the first body I commissioned from Warmoth. At that time, I was working new construction painting millwork. With my airless, I painted the body in commercial grade Stone Fleck. This one will throw you for a loop:

Attachments

• geetars 062.JPG
    geetars 062.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 277
Sometime in the early 2000's, I stripped my V down to bare wood, routed for a neck pickup, and painted it black:

Attachments

• geetars 079.JPG
    geetars 079.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 253
In 2007, I made this one (it was a showcase neck but I commissioned the body):

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 268
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 252