new neck? or new nut?

hachikid

hey guys. I know the obvious financial choice here is "NEW NUT!!!!", but I've been noticing I've been having some trouble when it comes to playability on my bass. the bass I started on and played for 9 years has a narrow Jazz style neck, and Vincent has a wide p-bass style neck on it. I've noticed that my playing is a bit "clunky", and I've been thinking it's been due to the string spacing. when I was in guitar center on my lunch break today, I played a couple basses, and I noticed on the poorly setup Jazz basses, I was really moving around the fretboard without problems and each note was well articulated. when I picked up a P-bass, that "clunkiness" to my playing came back. I initially thought about ordering a replacement all canary jazz bass neck from Warmoth and selling my current neck whenever it arrives. but that's kind of expensive. so, my next thought was getting a narrower slotted nut made and installed on it. I'm curious if it wouldn't still feel weird with the "extra neck" being there, though. I mean the extra wood there outside of the E and G strings. anyway, I hope you guys might be able to help me on this. I'd rather not spend $400 on a new neck...that'd be nice.....

also, the back to front thickness is the same with the jazz and precision bass style necks, assuming you get the standard contour. I like the thickness of it, the strings are just too far apart for me.

My 1st thought would be the neck width, but changing the nut is the cheapest alternative.  I'd do that and save the old nut if possible.  If it's not the nut, get a new neck re-install the old nut and sell it.  Yes, it's expensive and you'll take a hit on the resale but still recoupe some of it that way.

P bass width is total and complete ass, at least for me.  I was shocked that you ordered yours with it.  I've done what you're talking about with the nut width, and it didn't make a significant difference for me, but your results may vary.

-Mark

here's an even cheaper solution than replacing the nut - practice

you're clunky on the P width nut because you haven't taken the time to properly acclimate your muscle memory to its shape. I know from personal experience on a 1-3/4" P width neck that you simply need to spend time retraining your fretting hand. it's the same case if you move to a 5 or 6-string bass, and you'd have a similar reaction had you been familiar with a P-width neck and migrated to one of those pencil thin J-width necks from the 60's (you know - the ones with a 1-7/16" wide nut)

you'll only ever be as good as you practice, and proper practice doesn't mean picking up a bass and flailing away as fast as you can on it for 15 - 30 minutes. practice begins with proper stretching. once your hand is properly stretched, note playing then starts off s-l-o-w-l-y, utilizing the minimum amount of pressure to properly voice the note at that fret. practice means consistently starting and stopping each note with consistency in both sonic properties and duration. practice also ensures that your fretting hand is completely relaxed in everything you play so that you train your hand to not solicit unnecessary fatigue. this is how you will acclimate your muscle memory to a new neck shape, and any shortcuts lead to sloppiness and bad technique

I know you already know this - but sometimes a gentle reminder is needed to bring one back into proper focus

all the best,

R

While I largely agree with the above, I played a fretless P 6-12 hours a day for about three years as my only bass.  I was playing swing jazz in college groups and a professional group, plus playing modern punk/experimental (think tom waits meets mr bungle) music.  Not to toot my own horn, but my technique was nearly flawless.  As I've mentioned before, that bass was stolen from me, and I ended up playing J-spaced basses after that.  In my (not so) humble opinion, there is no good reason (aside from compressed slap/funk) to play on a P-spaced neck, at least for me and my hands.

I certainly bristle at (and contemplate summoning my inner monkey to throw poo at) anyone who might suggest that J spacing is wimpy.  I liken it to playing 13's on a guitar.  Yes, it works for some people, no it's not remotely the standard and yes it limits the "normal" player in some ways.  

Silly mini rant over.  

-Mark

p.s. P spacing sucks eggs.
p.p.s.  I have to mention how much I agree with Skuttle about both practicing AND warming up.  DO EEET.

good thing I didn't say wimpy!  :icon_biggrin:

for my large hands and long fingers, I find it very difficult to play one of those pencil thin 1-7/16" nut width J necks ... I have zero difficulty getting around a 1-3/4" nutted P-neck and copping a few Geddy lines here/there ... but then that's the beauty of having all these different choices, isn't it - we can each find what works best for us. no need for any player to bash another because they made an informed decision and chose differently  :glasses9:

o, and for the record - my personal 6-string basses all have the same nut spacing between each string as is found on a 1-3/4" P-bass nut ... that's right, it's about a 2-5/16" nut width :blob7: I guess these basses are WAAAAAAY out of your comfort zone, eh Mark?  :toothy12:

all the best,

R

Lol yeah, out of my comfort zone for sure.  However, whatever it takes to get the music out of your head, through your hands and out some speakers is perfect, right?

I want to own up to my last post... I'm just irrationally cranky about P spacing personally.  I didn't mean to come across that you were saying any of the negative things I was jovially insinuating someone might.  Like I said above, whatever does it for each of us is best-est-est.  I just hate that I wasted soooooooo many years injuring myself trying to make a square peg fit into an awesome shaped hole.  The weird part about my playing is that I keep my bass action fairly high, so it really is about execution and not ease for me (this spacing thing).

Anecdotally, I had to play a gig a few weeks ago on a friend's 70s P, and I kept my mouth shut, but I did go home and pet my J-spaced basses for an hour before bed. 

-Mark

J bass neck FTW! It's the only 4 string bass neck I ever want to play. That said, most of the time I'm a six string guitar wanker and I will probably never learn slap bass or anything like that.

I personally much preferred P necks to J necks when I was doing homework on my bass build. I do think that what you find comfortable is combination of
a) the actual shape and size of your hands
b) what you learned on

I had the same issue of being uncomfortable when I played a tele with 1 5/8" nut spacing, even though it's a difference of 1/16th of an inch. it was just terrible. And I found the SRV neck contour to be too thin for me, too. At times I thought about telling myself to just get used to it, but at the end of the day I will play and enjoy playing the instrument that makes me comfortable.

So I say, do what you have to do to be comfortable on that bass you put so much time, money, and thought into building for you. I'd try changing the nut first, since there's not much to lose there by trying that. If that doesn't work, sell the neck and get another one if you can afford to.

+1 to the J-Bass neck.  For a lot P Bass owners, it's on the mod list.  The Music Man Stingray has even started offering a narrower J-Style nut width.

after some comparison at GC between my p-bass neck and a jazz bass, I'm sticking with my baseball bat. it feel a lot better than the toothpick I was playing, and I'll just practice to acclimatize my hands to the slight extra width.

Back