Need help with my nut choice

midge333

Corian vs. graphtech?
Standard vs. Earvana?
I am about to pull the trigger on a Warmoth strat neck. Any recommendations on the nut? I am baffled by too many choices. My first thought was to order a standard corian but then I thought I would ask the collective...

I've used Tusq (standard, not Earvana) on all my builds and I've been quite happy with them

I have gear with both and I'm not so "Princess and the Pea" to be able to really tell any practical, realistic difference between them. The rhetorical question I ask is "what did musicians do before the TUSQ was invented? What problem were they trying to solve, and was it such a widespread problem in the first place?"

I can't remember which necks I have with the TUSQ and without. That alone speaks volumes about how much it doesn't really matter and I should save the $5 for other features.

If you are not sure, then get a standard traditional cut Tusq (XL) nut.

An Earvana slot is wider towards the body and can not be easily replaced with a standard nut.

Corian vs. graphtech?
Standard vs. Earvana?
I am about to pull the trigger on a Warmoth strat neck. Any recommendations on the nut? I am baffled by too many choices. My first thought was to order a standard corian but then I thought I would ask the collective...
If you are going to vary on your string gauges you may not want to get the earvana because replacing an earvana nut that is filed for heavier strings is at least 60 dollars and Warmoth does not even sell earvana nuts separately so you have to buy direct from earvana and the size direct from eavana may be incorrect. If you get a regular nut they only cost maybe 15 dollars to replace if you mess them up. Earvana nuts do make it so a guitar sounds intonated better than standard but you should be sure of what string gauge you are going to use on that guitar with the earvana nut and never change the string gauge on that guitar

Back