New Mexico Star -Completed!

DocNrock

Master Member
This one has kind of a special meaning to me, as my paternal ancestry is from New Mexico.  Some of the pieces/parts to represent this are a bit esoteric, so bear with me. 

The yellow body and the bloody basin jasper dots are intended to capture the colors of the New Mexico flag.  The star shape represents the New Mexico night sky.  I had an arrow headstock to commemorate the Native American ancestral presence, but didn't like the shape, so I cut it into an Ibanez-style shape.  The maple neck represents the New Mexico desert sands.  Finally, Doug made me a very fitting neck plate.  The plate is the New Mexico flag. 

Anyway, specs!

Body:
Swamp ash
Trans yellow
Cutout for Schaller Trem (I usually use OFR, but I had this one in my parts bin).
One volume, one tone, one 3 way switch
Football jack mount

Neck:
Quartersawn maple with bloody basin jasper dots
R4 Floyd locking nut
Modified Arrow headstock
Wizard profile
6115SS frets
24 fret extension
Matching heastock
Schaller locking mini tuners

Electronics:
Seymour Duncan Invader (bridge)
DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell (neck)
Simple 3 way toggle
CTS pots
RS Guitarworks 0.022uf capacitor
Standard output jack
Standard strap locks with felt pads
DangerousR6 neckplate

Pics!

Now she's off to the tech for a fret level/crown/polish and formal setup!  Should be back in about two weeks!

Looks great, and the jasper dots & the neck plate are a very cool touch that really sets it apart, in a
very tasteful way, on a rather rude ( :icon_thumright:) body style. And, you are indeed a one-man
guitar shop these days, ain't ya?!? What could be more fun? :dontknow: 

Great Ape said:
Looks great, and the jasper dots & the neck plate are a very cool touch that really sets it apart, in a
very tasteful way, on a rather rude ( :icon_thumright:) body style. And, you are indeed a one-man
guitar shop these days, ain't ya?!? What could be more fun? :dontknow:

Thank you, Great Ape.  I've thinned out my collection of guitars I never play, so now I'm filling those gaps.  Thanks for the kind words!  :icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
Looks awesome Brent.... :headbang:

Thanks, bro!  Always awesome when a vision comes to life!  :laughing7:

And thanks for the killer neck plate, as always!  :headbang1:

Wow Doc. Really nice! I'm not a huge fan of 'pointy' guitar styles, but I really really like this one. As Ape said, the Jesper dots really stand out on this one. Super nice.

I expect that we'll get a vid of this guy in action soon, yes?

MikeW said:
Wow Doc. Really nice! I'm not a huge fan of 'pointy' guitar styles, but I really really like this one. As Ape said, the Jesper dots really stand out on this one. Super nice.

I expect that we'll get a vid of this guy in action soon, yes?

Thanks, Mike!  It's off at the tech right now for a level/crown/polish and proper setup.  When I get it back in 2 to 3 weeks, I suppose a video might have to be made.  :headbang1:

That's a badass guitar there, man! Both sides of my family are from Albuquerque, and three of my sisters still live there, so that guitar brings up some wonderful pangs of nostalgia.  :rock-on:

stultzies9 said:
That's a badass guitar there, man! Both sides of my family are from Albuquerque, and three of my sisters still live there, so that guitar brings up some wonderful pangs of nostalgia.  :rock-on:

Awesome to hear, man!  Thanks for the kind words! :icon_thumright:

I'm usually not a giant fan of maple boards, but you seem to have a knack for pulling off guitars with maple boards that I really dig.  Red dots really make this one happen.  Great work on this.

Jesse said:
I'm usually not a giant fan of maple boards, but you seem to have a knack for pulling off guitars with maple boards that I really dig.  Red dots really make this one happen.  Great work on this.

Thanks, Jesse.  I usually like black ebony, myself, but I've been on a maple kick lately.  The colored stone dots really pop with the maple boards. 

This is giving me an idea for the carve top Velocity that I've been building in my head.  Flame maple with washed black dye and a quartersawn maple neck with the jesper dots.  That could look amazing.

Jesse said:
This is giving me an idea for the carve top Velocity that I've been building in my head.  Flame maple with washed black dye and a quartersawn maple neck with the jesper dots.  That could look amazing.

That has the potential to be absolutely incredible!

I'm not a huge fan of the red dots but the guitar looks killer.

Makes me want another Star guitar... maybe soon.

Back