New Member - Old Soloist !

milkbone

Hey all.... This board rocks  :headbang1:!        I've been a guest for a while, but finally registered today....

I'm more of a collector, gearhead, & reader of technical information than I am a player these days, but I do try to make some noise now and then  :party07:.

I currently own several Fenders, a Les Paul, and an Ibanez bass, but the one that's always leaning on the amp and the one I always seem to pick up and enjoy the most is my homemade Warmoth Soloist (or whatever the Soloist was called in 1989).

Storytime - In 1989, I needed a home for a DiMarzio PAF and an Ibanez Edge tremolo that I got for next to nothing. I saw an ad in either Guitar or Guitar World magazine for Warmoth - I phoned them up & they mailed me a catalogue (pre-net info-hunting sucked, didn't it!). Once I'd decided on the body style & rout options, I called them back, placed my order (note the 80's EVH-style slant on the p/u - all the rage back then), and flew out to pick it up. I remember that both me and the person at Warmoth were a little aprehensive about putting in the Edge tremolo into a recessed pullback rout for an original Floyd - the Edge had only been out for about a year at most, and they were pretty scarce as a replacement part, so there was some worry that it wouldn't fit. It worked (barely!), and the rest you can see for yourself (so long as I can figure out how to attach the pics!).

Specs

1989 Soloist (or whatever it was called then) body - alder
Maple/Rosewood neck - unfinished (and smooth as butter!)
DiMarzio PAF
Edge Tremolo w/Floyd nut
? Tuners
Gibson 500k pots (tone-.047uf film cap.)
9-49's
3rd finish job in 19yrs (it's a bloody Etch-A-Sketch!)

Thanks for looking, and thanks for keeping up one awesome board. I have a sneaking suspicion that there's a few more Warmoth's left in me - but don't tell my wife!

John

Attachments

• DSC00640.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,251
o.k. - so I kinda figured out how to attach one pic - how can I attach multiple large-sized pics like I see in other posts? I tried to attach 3, and kept getting denied because of size...

Thanks...

Thanks for the kudos folks... my next Warmoth may well be another Soloist - since the demise of the VW, I've been considering a Soloist with B-B-Y burst on Spalted Maple - hardtail, (real) Bill Lawrence pups, & gold h/w....

@Nathan a - the HD decals got a little wrinkled - was impatient & rushed the first few coats... you ride? 2 Ultra Classics in my garage (his 'n hers!)

milkbone said:
Thanks for the kudos folks... my next Warmoth may well be another Soloist - since the demise of the VW, I've been considering a Soloist with B-B-Y burst on Spalted Maple - hardtail, (real) Bill Lawrence pups, & gold h/w....

@Nathan a - the HD decals got a little wrinkled - was impatient & rushed the first few coats... you ride? 2 Ultra Classics in my garage (his 'n hers!)

Bummer on those decals. I don't ride, my dad does -- Road King Classic w/ fishtail pipes, it's a beauty

Back